July 17, 2020
BETA testing release
We are pleased to offer MX-19.2 KDE Beta 2 for testing purposes.
Bug fixes since beta 1:
- dbus message during login is now resolved
- kernel sandboxing enabled by default
- network-manager should now default to “all users can connect”
- a “test” MX Look-and-feel theme has been added, including default panel layout (actual theming subject to change in the future)
- apt/dpkg operations that look for a DEBIAN FRONTEND should default to kde mode now instead of looking fro the gnome/gtk version (echo ‘debconf debconf/frontend select Kde’ | sudo debconf-set-selections)
- misc. other small fixes and additions (mx-updater, mx-tweak, etc…), library files added (kmenuedit ffmpegthumbs debconf-kde-helper plasma-look-and-feel-theme-mx python3-pkg-resources python3-gi-cairo)
Known issues with beta 2:
- Timezone, date, and time adjustments cannot be made from the KDE menus. Use MX-Date & Time instead.
- The manual has not been updated to reflect KDE/plasma edition yet.
- 12/24 hour selection in the installer does not yet work with KDE/plasma desktop.
MX-19.2 KDE is an Advanced Hardware Support (AHS) enabled 64-bit only version of MX featuring the KDE/plasma desktop. Applications utilizing Qt library frameworks are given a preference for inclusion on the iso.
This will be first officially supported MX/antiX family iso utilizing the KDE/plasma desktop since the halting of the predecessor MEPIS project in 2013.
MX-19.2 KDE includes the usual MX tools, antiX-live-usb-system, and snapshot technology that our users have come to expect from our standard flagship Xfce releases. Adding KDE/plasma to the existing Xfce/MX-fluxbox desktops will provide for a wider range user needs and wants.
KDE/plasma 5.14.5 (current Debian buster version)
MESA 20.0.7 (AHS)
MX AHS firmware package
Debian (AHS) 5.6 kernel
Browser: Firefox 78
Video Player: VLC 3.0.11
Music Manager/Player: Clementine 1.3.1
Email client: Thunderbird 68.9
Office suite: LibreOffice 6.1.5 (plus security fixes) (6.4 available in MX-Packageinstaller->Popular Apps) and more in the MX repositories.
The beta will receive updates over time through the repositories, but certain items, such as the live system and some user settings defaults, will not be obvious without some user intervention.
Please place any general feedback here: MX-19.2 KDE Beta 2 Feedback thread
Any specific bugs can go to our Bug Manager at bugs.mxlinux.org
If posting hardware issues, please post the output of “quick-system-info” from the menu or terminal, at a minimum.
If posting nvidia-installer issues, please post the contents of /var/log/ddm.log.
If posting remaster issues, please include the contents of /var/log/live/live-remaster.log
If posting installer issues, please include the contents of /var/log/minstall.log
If posting issues with MX-PackageInstaller “Popular Apps”, please post contents of /var/log/mxpi.log or /var/log/mxpi.log.old (whichever contains the log of your issue).
The MX Dev Team