News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Unable to play DVDs [Solved]

Help for Current Versions of MX
Stevo
Developer

Re: Unable to play DVDs

Post by Stevo » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:10 pm

fehlix wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:04 pm
Itisi wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:24 pm
Thank you.

Screenshot attached
The lock displayed just indicates that the DVD is read-only:
CDROM-perms1.png
CDROM-perms2.png
Just Drag'n'Drop the VIDEO_TS folder into the VLC window, and it shall play.

Itisi
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by Itisi » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:50 pm

It's because doing that doesn't work that I am asking for help ...

Stevo
Developer

Post by Stevo » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:21 pm

Itisi wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:50 pm
It's because doing that doesn't work that I am asking for help ...
https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php ... 10#p473499

BitJam
Developer

Post by BitJam » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:29 pm

After installing the codecs I am able to play some dvds but not others. The failures happen when the program tries to decrypt the dvd. The symptom in the GUI is that the title of the dvd flashes on the titlebar of vlc briefly then vlc goes back to its quiescent (idle) state.

Here are a couple of examples of what appears when running vlc from a terminal:

Code: Select all

libdvdnav: DVD Title: Latcho Drom
libdvdnav: DVD Serial Number: 35274c95
libdvdnav: DVD Title (Alternative): Latcho Drom
libdvdnav: DVD disk reports itself with Region mask 0x00f70000. Regions: 4
[,,,]
libdvdread: Error cracking CSS key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_02_1.VOB (0x00013782)!!
[etc]

libdvdnav: DVD Title: A_TOWN_CALLED_EUREKA_DISC_1
libdvdnav: DVD Serial Number: 384e86b3
libdvdnav: DVD Title (Alternative): 
libdvdnav: DVD disk reports itself with Region mask 0x00e50000. Regions: 2 4 5
[...]
libdvdread: Error cracking CSS key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB (0x0000f31e)!!
[etc]
These dvds work on my Gentoo system.

I don't know if this is a hardware problem or a software problem. It was reported to me that the drive on the laptop running MX was failing (in Windows 10). I used canned air on it and then several region 1 dvds started working. Before now I hadn't personally tested it after I was told it stopped working. The only failures I had were on non-region 1 dvds but one non-region 1 dvd did work. Last year I couldn't get it to work at all on MX or antiX although region 1 dvds worked on Window 10.

BTW: I captured the vlc terminal output with the command:

Code: Select all

vlc 2>&1 | tee -a vlc.log
Will I cry when it's all over?
When I die will I see Heaven?

Itisi
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by Itisi » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:52 pm

What you describe in your first para is same as what i posted at #7...

BitJam
Developer

Post by BitJam » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:03 pm

Itisi wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:52 pm
What you describe in your first para is same as what i posted at #7...
You could launch vlc from the terminal using the command I gave above and capture the output. But I think you are probably having the same kind of decryption errors.

How many different dvds have you tried? I imagine the decoding/cracking step is more sensitive to read errors than simple plaayback. Therefore it is hard to know if this is a software problem or a hardware problem. It could even be a hardware problem even though the same dvd works under Windows because Windows does not have to perform the decryption step.

dreamer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by dreamer » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:25 pm

I recall that DVD-drives are region locked by firmware. You get five tries (on Windows and probably Linux), before the DVD-drive firmware locks the drive to the last used region.

I think there are programs on Windows that can unlock a firmware-locked DVD-drive. This is probably a legal gray area.

BitJam
Developer

Post by BitJam » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:54 pm

dreamer wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:25 pm
I recall that DVD-drives are region locked by firmware. You get five tries (on Windows and probably Linux), before the DVD-drive firmware locks the drive to the last used region.

I think there are programs on Windows that can unlock a firmware-locked DVD-drive. This is probably a legal gray area.
To play dvds on Linux you need to break the region encryption. Even dvds that are for your region. Every dvd gets decrypted on Linux (at least that's how it used to be). Since I only use Linux, I don't have to care about which region a dvd is allowed to play in.

I believe the questionable legality of playing dvds you have legally purchased on a machine you legally purchased and a legal operating system is one of the reasons why libdvdcss (css = content scrambling system) is not provided on MX and has to be downloaded separately. The libdvdcss wikpedia page says:
libdvdcss is not to be confused with DeCSS. Whereas DeCSS uses a cracked DVD player key to perform authentication, libdvdcss uses a generated list of possible player keys. If none of them works (for instance, when the DVD drive enforces region coding), libdvdcss then performs a brute-force attack, ignoring the DVD's region code (if any).
I wonder if this is related to the problems we are seeing? I remember years ago there was a hidden directory in your home directory that had the decryption keys (or whatever) for every dvd you played so the decryption only needed to be done once. Maybe libdvdcss is giving up before it tries brute force.

Itisi
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by Itisi » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:52 pm

Yesterday, in spite of following advice, nothing doing, but this morning, miracle, suddenly the DVD played! :happy:

Thank you all for your help and support. :clap:

KernSpy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by KernSpy » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:50 pm

fehlix wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:41 pm
KernSpy wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:45 pm
Anyway, I opened VLC and selected: Open Disc - Then the disk window opened
with DVD checked and the path to the dvd - /dev/sr0 displayed. I clicked play and
the menu opened with movie intro playing. I selected play movie and it worked
fine. Would be nice to see the dvd movie play or the menu come up when the DVD
was inserted. Tested 3 movies and they all worked.

I managed to get vlc to open after inserting a dvd. I still had to select Open Disc and Play. It seems that human intervention is going to be required somewhere along the way.
To automaticaly play a Video DVD after inserting the DVD into the PC do this:
Open Whisker-Menu
-> Settings -> Removable Drives and Media
-> Tab: Multimedia
-> Video CDs/DVDs:
Click to enable: "Play video CDs and DVD#s when inserted
-> Command: vlc %d
-> Click Close
The above settings will make open VLC automatically on inserting VideoDVD and start playing the Video in VLC.
:puppy:
Still messing around with it. I did all that and vlc came up with the window where I choose - open disc / play. but I was using "/usr/bin/vlc" instead of "vlc %d" .. usr/bin is in my path. Now for some reason - even that has stopped working and vlc no longer auto opens when I insert a DVD. I have the setting correct in Menu/Settings/Removable Drives and Media/ - Multimedia - Play video CDs and DVDs when inserted - command = vlc %d.

I opened vlc and selected no menus and Open Disc / Play. The movie plays fine. I wonder what has changed that has stopped vlc from auto-running?

EDIT / UPDATE ...

Got it to run when DVD is inserted and in full screen - Skipping the Menu and plays the movie.
Whisker Menu > Removable Drives and Media > Multimedia. Make sure - "Play video CDs and DVDs when they are inserted" is checked. On the line "Command" .. I added this: vlc dvdsimple:// --fullscreen.
MX-18.2_x64 | System76 Galago UltraPro / Clevo W740SU | Intel Core i7-4770HQ | Intel Iris Pro Graphics 5200 | 16 GB DDR3 | Intel 530 series mSATA SSD - 240-GB | WD7500BPKX - 750-GB | Intel HD Audio. Note: [System76] and the Galago's neutered UEFI

Return to “MX Help”