News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

[Solved] intel/lenovo Drivers

Help for Current Versions of MX
LAUS311
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

[Solved] intel/lenovo Drivers

Post by LAUS311 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:51 am

Hi there, I have recently installed Linux MX. Im new in linux so I'm so lost here.

Does anyone can explain me how to install intell and lenovo Drivers.

Thanks.
Last edited by LAUS311 on Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phykris
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Re: intel/lenovo Drivers

Post by phykris » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:35 pm

Most drivers are by default built in in linux. Unless there's something not working (like your nvidia video card) you don't need to install any driver.

Head_on_a_Stick
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Head_on_a_Stick » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:46 pm

Check the device drivers with

Code: Select all

lspci -k
"Direct action is the logical, consistent method of anarchism." — Emma Goldman

Stevo
Developer

Post by Stevo » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:06 pm

Depending on your Intel hardware, the system will automatically use either the kernel's "modesetting" video driver or the "intel" DDX video driver. Unless you are trying to fix some sort of video glitch*, stick with the default. There are no outside Intel drivers that you download and install as you do on the Windows side, since the drivers are open-sourced by Intel and included with MX.

*Newer Intel hardware gets video glitches in full-screen Youtube video and in Firefox scrolling with the default modesetting driver. That can be fixed by switching to the "intel" driver using MX Tweak.

There are no separate "lenovo" drivers. Any specific laptop drivers are already in the kernel, such as the "ideapad-laptop" driver.

LAUS311
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by LAUS311 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:12 pm

Oh guys <3 Thank you for answering, I'm learning a lot with your information.

I'm going to check this...
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:46 pm
Check the device drivers with

lspci -k
maybe I can learn more from that, where do I have to type it, "the console"?.
Stevo wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:06 pm
Depending on your Intel hardware, the system will automatically use either the kernel's "modesetting" video driver or the "intel" DDX video driver. Unless you are trying to fix some sort of video glitch*, stick with the default. There are no outside Intel drivers that you download and install as you do on the Windows side, since the drivers are open-sourced by Intel and included with MX. *Newer Intel hardware gets video glitches in full-screen Youtube video and in Firefox scrolling with the default modesetting driver. That can be fixed by switching to the "intel" driver using MX Tweak.There are no separate "lenovo" drivers. Any specific laptop drivers are already in the kernel, such as the "ideapad-laptop" driver.
oooh understood man, It's more clear that part for me now.
phykris wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:35 pm
Most drivers are by default built in in linux. Unless there's something not working (like your nvidia video card) you don't need to install any driver.
hmm I having a little problem... is that, when I open for example, Youtube Videos or "games" they run too slow. I have the Lenovo Ideapad S110... For that I though that I had to install any driver, but I'm still confused if I still have to install something else to get a better performance.

Do I have to install anything else? Or do you recommend me any guide or tutorial about it?

Again thank you so much for answering, @Stevo, @Head_on_Stick, @phykris, sorry if I ask something may looks "obvious", I'm still in a linux lvl 0, every information you give to me is so useful to learn.

Stevo
Developer

Post by Stevo » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:33 pm

The console would be a terminal application, which looks like Windows "run" interface. We have the XFCE terminal app in the Favorites part of the "start menu". You just open it, type or copypaste the text into it, and hit Enter.

Do not run any commands you see on forums willy-nilly, though. It is a powerful tool and can do damage if some joker puts up a malicious command that deletes your system, for example.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Post by JayM » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:39 pm

LAUS311 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:12 pm
hmm I having a little problem... is that, when I open for example, Youtube Videos or "games" they run too slow. I have the Lenovo Ideapad S110... For that I though that I had to install any driver, but I'm still confused if I still have to install something else to get a better performance.
Can you run the app Quick System Info found in the menu under MX Tools then right-click paste in a reply here? We may be able to make suggestions to help performance if we know more about your computer's hardware. You don't need to copy and paste the quick system info, the app copies it to the clipboard for you automatically and formats it for the forum too, so all you need to do is paste it.
Please read How To Ask For Help and How to Break Your System.
MX User Manual: hold down ALT and press F1. Further information may be found in the MX Wiki.

KBD
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by KBD » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:56 pm

If it is this machine:
https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/lapto ... eapad-110s
The specs are not great. It is similar to my 11e Thinkpad.
That's not a machine for running heavy games and video might not always be great.
My 11e Thinkpad is tolerable on Windows 10 but no speed demon and I have an ssd and 8 gb ram in it. It would of course run much faster on MX and so should your Ideapad.
Run the output of inxi in a terminal for your full specs and ram use:
inxi -Fxz

phykris
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by phykris » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:09 pm

Maybe you can try to start MX tweak and force the system to use the intel-driver under the "config options" (use intel driver instead of default "modsetting" driver) tab?

LAUS311
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by LAUS311 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:27 am

Hey guys, I was still working on it. I finally tried a better browser. I have installed "Mozilla firefox" and looks excellent for navigation, then I have installed "vivaldi" and was pretty better for "google and microsoft online apps", I have tested for example "google sheets" with lots of data, of course it takes its time to load, but when is ready, is so good to work, "Onenote" too, and "youtube" too.

I know, it isn't a real gaming machine, but I had problems with the last updates of windows 7 breaking the performance. For that now I started in this linux world hehe.

Guys I have a last question, do you think that is worth to install microsoft apps like onenote or onedrive or the essentials like word, excel and powerpoint?

Here is the information about my little laptop, if you have suggestions I'll be checking it. Really, thank you so much for your help mates.

System:    Host: LAUS Kernel: 4.19.0-1-686-pae i686 bits: 32 compiler: gcc v: 6.3.0 
           Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 Distro: MX-18.2_386 Continuum Apr 7  2019 
           base: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch) 
Machine:   Type: Laptop System: LENOVO product: 20126 v: Ideapad S110 serial: <filter> 
           Mobo: LENOVO model: 123456789 v: Type1Sku0 serial: <filter> BIOS: LENOVO v: 5BCN29WW 
           date: 4/10/2012 
Battery:   ID-1: BAT1 charge: 707.3 Wh condition: 707.3/23.1 Wh (3063%) 
           model: CPT-ES3 LNV-L10C3Z11 status: Full 
CPU:       Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Atom N2600 bits: 32 type: MT MCP arch: Saltwell 
           rev: 1 L2 cache: 512 KiB 
           flags: nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 bogomips: 12768 
           Speed: 1596 MHz min/max: 600/1600 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1596 2: 1596 3: 1596 
           4: 1596 
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel Atom Processor D2xxx/N2xxx Integrated Graphics vendor: Lenovo 
           driver: gma500 v: N/A bus ID: 00:02.0 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.2 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa 
           resolution: 1024x600~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 7.0 128 bits) v: 3.3 Mesa 18.2.6 direct render: Yes 
Audio:     Device-1: Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio vendor: Lenovo 
           driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.19.0-1-686-pae 
Network:   Device-1: Realtek RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet vendor: Lenovo 
           driver: r8169 v: kernel port: 4000 bus ID: 01:00.0 
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter> 
           Device-2: Realtek RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter driver: rtl8192ce v: kernel 
           port: 3000 bus ID: 02:00.0 
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter> 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 298.09 GiB used: 6.86 GiB (2.3%) 
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Western Digital model: WD3200BPVT-24JJ5T0 size: 298.09 GiB 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 181.57 GiB used: 6.86 GiB (3.8%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 52.0 C mobo: N/A 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Repos:     Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/antix.list 
           1: deb http://iso.mxrepo.com/antix/stretch stretch main
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian-stable-updates.list 
           1: deb http://ftp.br.debian.org/debian/ stretch-updates main contrib non-free
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list 
           1: deb http://ftp.br.debian.org/debian/ stretch main contrib non-free
           2: deb http://security.debian.org/ stretch/updates main contrib non-free
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/devrepo.list 
           1: deb http://mxrepo.com/mx/testrepo/ mx18 dev
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mx.list 
           1: deb http://mirror.cedia.org.ec/mx-workspace/mx/repo/ stretch main non-free
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/opera-beta.list 
           1: deb https://deb.opera.com/opera-beta/ stable non-free #Opera Browser (final releases)
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/various.list 
           1: deb http://deb.opera.com/opera/ stable non-free
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/vivaldi.list 
           1: deb http://repo.vivaldi.com/stable/deb/ stable main
Info:      Processes: 198 Uptime: 8m Memory: 1.90 GiB used: 1005.7 MiB (51.8%) Init: SysVinit 
           runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 6.3.0 Shell: bash v: 4.4.12 inxi: 3.0.33 
PD:
phykris wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:09 pm
Maybe you can try to start MX tweak and force the system to use the intel-driver under the "config options" (use intel driver instead of default "modsetting" driver) tab?
I'm not sure about this, I'm afraid to do it wrong and damage someting, and in fact I don't know how to do that. Do you have any video or guide to check it before doing anything wrong?

Return to “MX Help”