News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

What are your first steps after installing MX Linux?

Help for Current Versions of MX
peter_li
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

What are your first steps after installing MX Linux?

Post by peter_li » Thu May 30, 2019 2:43 pm

For writing a good documentation for new users on our german wiki I like to know what are your first steps after installing MX Linux?

Please feel free to send me all your suggestions.
MX-18.3 kernel: 4.19.0-5-amd64
AMD Ryzen 3
8 GB RAM

KBD
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: What are your first steps after installing MX Linux?

Post by KBD » Thu May 30, 2019 3:00 pm

Visit MX Package Installer. Easy to download the apps I need from there very quickly.
Secondly check power manager settings and tweak those to my liking.
MX Tweak offers some options to change the looks of the DE.
MX Tools might offer some useful options to the user as well.
MX is very user friendly :)

j2mcgreg
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by j2mcgreg » Thu May 30, 2019 3:16 pm

The very first thing I do after a new install is access YouTube and run a video for a few minutes to make sure that the video card and the sound card are performing properly.
The second thing I do is test the printer and scanner including installing the drivers (if necessary).
The third task is to configure the desktop to suit my needs.
The fourth thing is to download and configure any additional software that I know that I will need.
HP ProBook 450 G5; CPU Intel i5; 500GB HDD; Intel UHD 620 Graphics; 8 GB Ram

turtlebay777
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by turtlebay777 » Thu May 30, 2019 4:15 pm

peter_li wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 2:43 pm
For writing a good documentation for new users on our german wiki I like to know what are your first steps after installing MX Linux?
It's a common misconception amongst Windows users that it is necessary to perform certain tasks before you can start using any Linux distro. That's a hangover from their experiences of installing Windows where installing security software and getting hardware drivers first is needed.

In most cases, especially with MX, the system just works out-of-the-box!

davemx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by davemx » Thu May 30, 2019 4:43 pm

turtlebay777 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 4:15 pm

It's a common misconception amongst Windows users that it is necessary to perform certain tasks before you can start using any Linux distro. That's a hangover from their experiences of installing Windows where installing security software and getting hardware drivers first is needed.

In most cases, especially with MX, the system just works out-of-the-box!
Sadly, that's not true for all hardware.

I have to install drivers for my Brother printer/scanner, and I also customise the scanner scripts. This also involves installing tesseract

I install digimend drivers, as I have a HUION tablet.

I install additional backdrops (wallpapers), fonts, sound schemes, a genmon script to display CPU temperature. I also copy hacked versions of the British English and Bulgarian Traditional Phonetic keyboard layouts. A few additional icon sets, icons and mouse cursors. All great fun!!
Desktop: Mini-Box M350 with Asus H110i-plus motherboard, Pentium G4600 processor, 2TB SSD and 16Gb RAM DDR4-2133
Printer/Scanner: Brother MFC-J5320W
Laptop: Upgraded Lenovo B50-45

figueroa
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by figueroa » Thu May 30, 2019 10:44 pm

The first step after successfully installing MX, the user should gloat and bask in the glory of their accomplishment. Nothing needs to be done. Enjoy it, use it, look around and learn it. Don't be too quick to try to break it.
Andy Figueroa
Using Unix from 1984; GNU/Linux from 1993

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Post by JayM » Thu May 30, 2019 11:22 pm

The first thing I do is run MX Repo Manager and select the fastest repo mirrors, then run MX Package Installer and refresh the package list in the stable repo.

The second thing I do is wait for updates to become available then run the MX Updater and install them, selecting both of the options (always say Yes, close the terminal window when finished.)

Meanwhile I enable the Compton compositor then add some transparency to the panel as I think that looks better than an opaque panel, I right-click on the desktop, go to Desktop Settings/Icons tab and enable Trash, change to my preferred wallpaper, remove the Orage panel clock and install Clock instead (this version of the Orage panel clock applet has a bug where transparency doesn't work and I never use the Orage appointment/reminder calendar anyway) and add Show Desktop to the panel.Then I spend a few moments tweaking the panel items such as the spacers and moving items around to put things where I prefer them and to center certain items such as the Windows buttons.

(I used to always move the panel from the left to the bottom then rearrange everything so it's like Windows, but the more I use MX the more I appreciate the panel being on one side instead of the top or bottom so now I leave it where it is. It just takes some getting used to, is all.)

I click on the speaker icon and make sure the volume slider is all the way up, then right-click on it, open the mixer and raise the volume there to as high as it will go (I use my speakers' volume control to adjust my actual volume level and want to have the option of it being louder when I want.)

I typically spend a few minutes in Conky Manager and select a different Conky than the default one then position it where I prefer it to be, which depends on both the Conky I've selected, the wallpaper I'm using and the system's screen size. I want it to be easily visible yet out of the way.

Then I restore my Firefox bookmarks and settings by copying the contents of my backed-up FF profile into the new profile on the installed system, then install the handful of apps that I want that aren't already installed by default, and that's about it. Maybe an hour at most from freshly installing an OOTB MX to having an MX system that's set up the way I like it, including the actual installation time, and I'm ready to start doing things on the computer. At least that's about how long it took me the first time I installed MX when I'd never even really used it before and wasn't very familiar with Xfce either. Now it takes me maybe 15 or 20 minutes tops, though on my desktop PC I typically install from a personal snapshot which saves me 95%-plus of this work.

Edit: I forgot a step. Grin from ear to ear and keep saying "I LOVE this OS!" to myself.
Last edited by JayM on Fri May 31, 2019 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please read How To Ask For Help and How to Break Your System.
MX User Manual: hold down ALT and press F1. Further information may be found in the MX Wiki.

Stevo
Developer

Post by Stevo » Fri May 31, 2019 12:41 am

Laptops:

install and configure touchpad-indicator, install indicator-cpufreq, and install and configure the iuvolt undervolting script if the hardware supports it.

Enable hibernation in MX Tweak.

Add the wi-fi driver in a /etc/pm/config.d/config file so it is unloaded and reloaded during a suspend and resume to prevent any issues.

Artim
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Artim » Fri May 31, 2019 1:39 am

• Update.
  • Move that panel to the bottom.
  • Swap a few apps (Seamonkey in place of Firefox & Thunderbird, for example) and then
  • Customize the panel with launchers for my most used apps
  • Add local weather widget
  • Celebrate my awesome OS and show it off on my chosen social media (Diaspora and Mastodon)

asqwerth
Developer

Post by asqwerth » Fri May 31, 2019 2:22 am

One of the first things I do is change Thunar preferences to "double-click".
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Return to “MX Help”