News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

What are your first steps after installing MX Linux?

Help for Current Versions of MX
peter_li
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: What are your first steps after installing MX Linux?

Post by peter_li » Fri May 31, 2019 2:44 am

turtlebay777 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 4:15 pm
peter_li wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 2:43 pm
For writing a good documentation for new users on our german wiki I like to know what are your first steps after installing MX Linux?
It's a common misconception amongst Windows users that it is necessary to perform certain tasks before you can start using any Linux distro. That's a hangover from their experiences of installing Windows where installing security software and getting hardware drivers first is needed.

In most cases, especially with MX, the system just works out-of-the-box!
Then maybe I should have formulated my question differently for you?

By example In my case there is a difference between works out-of-the-box and what is desired:
1. Configure my sound cause I have two output devices and the default config is not the used one(HDMI by my graphics adapter)
2. Explore MX Package installer is always a good idea. It offers 53120 packages now alone in the stable repository
3. Check if the printer works correctly, In my case I need hplip and have to install a driver by hp-plugin
4. Install your desired desktop environment or window manager if not Xfce and configure it to your wishes
5. Install your desired language packs of Firefox, Libreoffice and/or Thunderbird in my case German, not to forget gimp-help-de
6. Setup Thunderbird so it works with your mail service provider
7. Install variety or some other wallpaper changer, that's a must have for me

So you see there comes some to mind...
Last edited by peter_li on Fri May 31, 2019 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
MX-18.3 kernel: 4.19.0-5-amd64
AMD Ryzen 3
8 GB RAM

jackdanielsesq
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by jackdanielsesq » Fri May 31, 2019 2:54 am

Install KDE - its real easy, extremely malleable, und uber good-looking

Hit MX Tools - MX Package Installer - Popular Applications - Desktop Environments - KDE5 Standard

<300MB - Have never broken Plasma in over a year - it is rock solid - not so Xfce + Compiz

Regards

Jack

xali
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by xali » Fri May 31, 2019 3:07 am

after configuring the desktop to my preferences, adding software, choose conky, import files etc, i think adding some thunar custom actions like copying the path of a file and other custom actions is really useful.

hkjz
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by hkjz » Fri May 31, 2019 3:25 am

Turn on Firewall

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

Post by Eadwine Rose » Fri May 31, 2019 3:52 am

First I do the things that tend to go wrong the easiest so I won't have wasted loads of time and then need to reinstall.

Set up the buttons of my Logitech MX Ergo using xbindkeys and xautomation.
Once that is working ok I start installing the Nvidia driver, remove xorg.conf, and set up the screen tearing fix.
Next is setting up the dual monitors using arandr and Display. Keep fiddling till all is right and remains so.

With those three things done I can move on to the rest of the tweaking.

Set up the partitions to be automounted using Disk Manager
Set up the panel to my liking (bottom) and put everything in there that needs to be in there (using a backup of the fully running panel as I like it)
Set up mouse acceleration
Install codecs
Install icon theme

Then I am working on setting up my sound and getting my TV card to work using tvtime
Once that is working I enter the keyboard shortcuts to adjust the volume and to a number of other things like opening my dvd drive

Set up my conky (not the one MX comes with), and adjust grub to remove the splash screen

Only now I start installing the software I use and setting that up. First the bits in MX Package Manager, then the remaining ones using Synaptic. If needed also some packages using Gdebi.

When that is done I start working on the look and feel, so setting the correct fonts and such.

Then it is setting up the installed software to my liking (mostly copying over .folders).

The very last thing I will do, when I determine everything is working correctly and I can safely migrate, is set up Thunderbird. Basically move over the backup .thunderbird folder.

The whole document that holds all the instructions for me is 25 pages long, a bit too long to list all that here, this summary is long enough already ;)
MX-18.3_x64 May 26 2019 * 4.19.0-5-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.12.3 * 8-core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 390.116 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy5030

turtlebay777
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by turtlebay777 » Fri May 31, 2019 5:12 am

peter_li wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 2:44 am
turtlebay777 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 4:15 pm
peter_li wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 2:43 pm
For writing a good documentation for new users on our german wiki I like to know what are your first steps after installing MX Linux?
It's a common misconception amongst Windows users that it is necessary to perform certain tasks before you can start using any Linux distro. That's a hangover from their experiences of installing Windows where installing security software and getting hardware drivers first is needed.

In most cases, especially with MX, the system just works out-of-the-box!
Then maybe I should have formulated my question differently for you?

By example In my case there is a difference between works out-of-the-box and what is desired:
1. Configure my sound cause I have two output devices and the default config is not the used one(HDMI by my graphics adapter)
2. Explore MX Package installer is always a good idea. It offers 53120 packages now alone in the stable repository
3. Check if the printer works correctly, In my case I need hplip and have to install a driver by hp-plugin
4. Install your desired desktop environment or window manager if not Xfce and configure it to your wishes
5. Install your desired language packs of Firefox, Libreoffice and/or Thunderbird in my case German, not to forget gimp-help-de
6. Setup Thunderbird so it works with your mail service provider
7. Install variety or some other wallpaper changer, that's a must have for me

So you see there comes some to mind...
@ peter_li , those are all personal decisions based on your own hardware and software, but don't apply across the board to all MX users, so would be wrong to put in a general wiki.
Examples:
1. I have no need to configure my sound, it just works.
2.No point exploring there until you discover that what you want to do can't be done with the default software.
3.My Epson printer worked without installing anything but we all have different makes. Or none at all!
4.Use the default version until you get used to the OS, you'll end up breaking it in seconds if you blunder about not knowing what you are doing.
5.Language is again, a personal choice.
6.I never use Thunderbird nor any email program, I use yahoo mail which is all on line.
7. Wallpaper. Another personal choice!

Gaer Boy
Developer

Post by Gaer Boy » Fri May 31, 2019 5:23 am

Eadwine Rose wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 3:52 am
The whole document that holds all the instructions for me is 25 pages long, a bit too long to list all that here, this summary is long enough already ;)
I'm a great believer in brevity, so my list is one page - a mixture of general and individual items. The spreadsheet is attached.
MX-18 install.ods
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AsRock FM2A88X-ITX+, A8-6500, 8GB, 120GB Samsung SSD (GPT), 1TB HDD (MBR), MX-18.3
Lenovo Thinkpad X220, dual-core i5, 3MB, 320GB Hitachi HDD, Win7, MX-18.3

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

Post by Eadwine Rose » Fri May 31, 2019 5:26 am

I am a great believer in writing things down as I forget everything.

There are explanations of things in there as well that I need.
MX-18.3_x64 May 26 2019 * 4.19.0-5-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.12.3 * 8-core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 390.116 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy5030

Kulmbacher
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Kulmbacher » Fri May 31, 2019 6:27 am

1. Uninstall everything with firstname "Adobe" .... and some other goodies I don`t need (root=5,9 gig on ssd)
2. Uninstall Firefox and Thunderbird MXversion, take a new one from mozilla directly (make my own policies)
3. Thunderbird is running portable from stick, Firefox installed on SSD
4. Copying saved FF and TB profiles to new location, no problems up to now.
5. Canon scanner little bit tricky, but working. rest out of the box.
6. Hide Thunar buttons, install PCManFM ;-)
7. No compiz, schicki micki und bling bling kram, am liebsten schwarze Buchstaben auf weissem Untergrund, und erst recht kein YouTube ... ;-)
they called him, the fish!

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Post by JayM » Fri May 31, 2019 6:42 am

Kulmbacher wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 6:27 am
1. Uninstall everything with firstname "Adobe" .... and some other goodies I don`t need (root=5,9 gig on ssd)
2. Uninstall Firefox and Thunderbird MXversion, take a new one from mozilla directly (make my own policies)
3. Thunderbird is running portable from stick, Firefox installed on SSD
4. Copying saved FF and TB profiles to new location, no problems up to now.
5. Canon scanner little bit tricky, but working. rest out of the box.
6. Hide Thunar buttons, install PCManFM ;-)
7. No compiz, schicki micki und bling bling kram, am liebsten schwarze Buchstaben auf weissem Untergrund, und erst recht kein YouTube ... ;-)
You might want to look at Manyroads' MX 18 Minimal respin: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47910
Please read How To Ask For Help and How to Break Your System.
MX User Manual: hold down ALT and press F1. Further information may be found in the MX Wiki.

Return to “MX Help”