News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

DNS Servers

Help for Current Versions of MX
peregrine
Administrator

DNS Servers

Post by peregrine » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:40 pm

I have done this on earlier versions of MX. I think there was a place to change them in the Network Manager but I do not see the current ones anywhere in it. The DNS servers that my ISP uses are not the best. I installed namebench and have the ones I want to use. I want to add them to the computer not the router. Where do I go to change them. I have a static IP if that matters.
/etc/resolv.conf has the existing ones. It also has a notice not to edit, changes will be overwritten.
Asus A78M - AMD A10-6800K - 8GB Ram - 120GB SSD - Samsung SyncMaster 2243SWX LCD MX18 ------ Asus X550LA intel i5 4200 / MX18.1 | W10

AK-47
Developer

Re: DNS Servers

Post by AK-47 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:42 pm

Right-click on the LAN icon, go "Edit Connections..." and select the connection. In the dialog you can configure DNS settings in "IPv4 Settings" and "IPv6 Settings" tabs.
MX Linux 18.3 - Panasonic CF-30 - 3GB RAM - 160GB HDD - Core 2 Duo

peregrine
Administrator

Post by peregrine » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:58 pm

@AK-47 Thank you for helping me.
I looked at the Active Connection for my current connection first. it showed two IP's
Primary DNS and Secondary DNS These are from my ISP

I created a new connection and set it to be the first to connect - that worked. I added two new IP's under "Additional DNS Servers". There were none listed to replace. I did this under IPv4 Settings. IPv6 would not let me add an IP - it removed the .'s
When I look at the connection information after rebooting, I see the primary and secondary are still there, with the addition of Tertiary DNS which is one of the two I added.
Asus A78M - AMD A10-6800K - 8GB Ram - 120GB SSD - Samsung SyncMaster 2243SWX LCD MX18 ------ Asus X550LA intel i5 4200 / MX18.1 | W10

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Post by JayM » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:11 pm

Did you change Method from "Automatic (DHCP)" to "Manual"? It looks like if you leave the LAN connection in MX on Automatic (DHCP) it gets its DNS server info from the router and you can't override/overwrite them, only add additional ones. But if you set it up as Manual (static IP) It no longer uses any TCP/IP settings from the router. You have to enter everything yourself including the DHCP server IPs, so you can choose your own.
Please read How To Ask For Help and How to Break Your System.
MX User Manual: hold down ALT and press F1. Further information may be found in the MX Wiki.

Head_on_a_Stick
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Head_on_a_Stick » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:47 am

To prevent NetworkManager from altering /etc/resolv.conf create a file at /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/dns.conf with this content:

Code: Select all

[main]
dns=none
Then restart NM and populate /etc/resolv.conf with the desired nameservers, for example:

Code: Select all

sudo tee /etc/resolv.conf <<!
nameserver 9.9.9.9
nameserver 2620:fe::9
!
"Direct action is the logical, consistent method of anarchism." — Emma Goldman

Return to “MX Help”