News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

SOLVED - Boot process stops & holds

Help for Current Versions of MX
Buck Fankers
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Boot process stops & holds

Post by Buck Fankers » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:42 am

OBJuan wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:16 pm
My "geek index" has increased noticeably. This is a good thing
Not yet :tongue:

On a more serious note, check out in MX Tools category (Menu) - MX Snapshot.
This tool will save your system, your MX install as iso file. It is basically easy backup of your whole system. Cool stuff! If you know you are going to test something, create snapshot before you make changes so you can easy return your whole system into previous stage. Will probably take few tries to learn it, but it is worth learning it.

Also check out excellent videos that Dolphin_Oracle made:
https://hooktube.com/channel/UCFWlej2CSKlXW5uE9opXukQ

Here for example shows how to create live USB memory stick with persistence:
https://hooktube.com/watch?v=2vF_dw6Kpo8

Then check your "geek index" increase :grin:

P.s.
Speaking of Dolphin, he didn't post any video for months.
Is he allowed to just take off whenever he feels like it? And for sooooooo long?!? :tongue: :wink:

OBJuan
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by OBJuan » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:20 am

Buck
thank you for your suggestions. I haven't had much time in the last several days to play on my MX system, or today either. I will check out the "snapshot" thing. Sounds really helpful to have a full sys backup.
And, thanks for the Dolphin_Oracle video links.
I'll post soon after we finish current project in house.

OBJuan
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by OBJuan » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:20 pm

Buck,
I am using a live usb right now. It was created using the "Live USB Maker" in "MXTools" . Static Persistence on a 128 Gb SanDisk Ultra 3.0 stick. This usb stick seems to be quite responsive. I can't say the same for the PNY 32 Gb 2.1 that I first used. Just getting the .iso on the stick took almost 5 minutes. It took 38 seconds using the 3.0. Also, my mouse function using a Logitech unified receiver Keyboard & mouse did not work smoothly. It was very jerky and stalled for 10 to 15 seconds at a time, so switched to usb mouse and keyboard and they both respond smoothly & without delays.
The MX iso that was used is the one I had originally downloaded from mxlinux.org sometime a few weeks back. I did not try to use the .iso generated with "Snapshot" on a usb 3.0 stick yet. I'm not quite sure why I would do that, other than for backup. I can see from the hooktube video that Mrs. Dolphin Oracle had a different intended use. So, I will pick up another 3.0 USB device and place my desktop MX system on it and keep this Ultra 3.0 as a traveling device to help others to experience the joy of MX.
I think my geek index has improved a little with these exercises. Thank you for suggesting them.
Doug

Buck Fankers
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Buck Fankers » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:31 pm

OBJuan wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:20 pm
I am using a live usb right now. I did not try to use the .iso generated with "Snapshot" on a usb 3.0 stick yet. I'm not quite sure why I would do that, other than for backup.

I can see from the hooktube video that Mrs. Dolphin Oracle had a different intended use. So, I will pick up another 3.0 USB device and place my desktop MX system on it and keep this Ultra 3.0 as a traveling device to help others to experience the joy of MX.
I think my geek index has improved a little with these exercises. Thank you for suggesting them.
Doug
Hi Doug, sorry for late reply, I log in about once a week or so. Mostly I browse internet stuff with Tor browser incognito and then I don't log into anything so something addressed to me, I sometimes don't see.

Yes, yes, you are becoming real geek now, congratulation! :happy:

True, faster USB sticks, which are quite cheap now a day makes a big difference. Worth paying few extra bucks for them.

Actually using your own snapshot on a usb stick is quite useful. You are taking your whole system with you, documents, installed programs... Just make sure you don't have to many pictures, keep iso file small. For example i have about 10 different email accounts from different providers. I have installed claws email and all 10 accounts in it. So whenever I travel I can just use USB stick and have easy access to all emails. Say I want to move/copy my whole system with all installed programs to another computer. I can just do it with this persistent USB stick by booting it off it, or I can install MX using this USB stack that has installed my personal snapshot making identical system on different computers. There are plenty of uses, whatever fit anyone.

This whole persistent, bootable stuff was developed by antiX, sisters distro, and both developers cooperate. Many are using live persistent antiX only off USB stick. With fast USB stick and small antiX footprint, you don't see the difference running it off HDD or USB stick.

Anyway, you are doing very very well, congrats! And of course, just use the system as best fit you!

OBJuan
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Re: SOLVED - Boot process stops & holds

Post by OBJuan » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:51 am

Buck,
Thank you for two things;
first, your suggestions and assistance and
second, your encouragement. I appreciate both very much !

Buck Fankers
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: SOLVED - Boot process stops & holds

Post by Buck Fankers » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:01 am

You are very welcome! Just enjoy it, MX Linux is so cool and fun!
Before you do an experiment, create a snapshot. Then you are safe, try things, if you break it, you can easy recover it. :happy:

Return to “MX Help”