News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Whisker menu

Help for Current Versions of MX
Duliwi
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Whisker menu

Post by Duliwi » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:40 am

1)
I only have a litte screen. So I would appreciate, if this screen is used when it is there:

When I deactivate "commands" there remains an empty place above the menu. This is a waste of place, I would like to have this place for the menu entries. Is there a way to change the settings, so that the menu can use this place?

At the bottom, there is an empty space. I would like to have this place for the menu entries. Is there a way to change the settings, so that the menu can use this place?
Whiskermenu.jpg
2)
In the Whisker menu there is a folder "last used". Here is a list with the last used programs. I miss a folder with "last used documents". Is there a way, to get this?

Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

chrispop99
Global Moderator

Re: Whisker menu

Post by chrispop99 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:18 am

I don't believe your requests are easily achievable. Perhaps the standard Applications Menu might suit you better? You can add it from the Panel Preferences context menu.

Chris
Test machines:
32-bit non-PAE - Thinkpad T41, 1.6GHz Pentium M, 1GB RAM.
32-bit PAE - DELL Latitude D610, 1.73GHz Pentium M, 2GB RAM.
64-bit - Lenovo T61, 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM
64-bit - Gigabyte Z77P-D3, Intel i3-3220, GeForce 8400 GS, 4GB PC3-12800.

Mishimainizu
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by Mishimainizu » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:39 am

Duliwi wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:40 am
2)
In the Whisker menu there is a folder "last used". Here is a list with the last used programs. I miss a folder with "last used documents". Is there a way, to get this?
Look for "Places", which you can put in an XFCE panel. It's the last item of the menu. You can customize the number of last-used documents, but I couldn't find a way to customize the pane width to allow for long file names.

Gaer Boy
Developer

Post by Gaer Boy » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:55 am

@Dullwi - I don't think you can do anything about the space at the top but the space at the bottom is because of the position of the Whisker menu button in the panel. If you move it to the bottom (the default position) the opened menu will sit on the bottom of the screen.

AsRock FM2A88X-ITX+, A8-6500, 8GB, 120GB Samsung SSD (GPT), 1TB HDD (MBR), MX-18.3
Lenovo Thinkpad X220, dual-core i5, 3MB, 320GB Hitachi HDD, Win7, MX-18.3

manyroads
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by manyroads » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:12 am

There is also a drag point to adjust screen size. You can shrink it quite small and use your scroll bar to navigate. I think that's ugly but it does afford shrinking.
You are also not limited to using whisker. You can use launchers like synapse & kupfer. You could use a more robust tool like 'rofi'. I think you might even make use of techniques like keybindings to accomplish your objectives. The options are pretty much endless. Have fun. Try new stuff out. :number1:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com
bspwm MX-18.3 kernel: 5.1.11-antix.1-amd64-smp
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Testing: antiX19

Huckleberry
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Huckleberry » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:45 am

Gaer Boy wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:55 am
@Dullwi - I don't think you can do anything about the space at the top but the space at the bottom is because of the position of the Whisker menu button in the panel. If you move it to the bottom (the default position) the opened menu will sit on the bottom of the screen.
I was just about to type the same. Just move the "Menu" icon to the bottom corner, at least there won't be such a big space under the search box and it will be used vertically for more menu items upside (indirect solution).
When asking for help, please first : Menu => MX Tools => Quick System Info
Even no need to select & copy. The output will get in the clipboard automatically, just paste.

MX 18.3 - 32bit 5.2.15-antix.1-686-smp-pae

Duliwi
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by Duliwi » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:17 am

@Mishimainizu
Thank you. I found it.

@Gaer Boy and @Huckleberry
Thank you. I was successful with this.

I have an other question relating Whisker menu:
I have added the button into the tasklist "Minimise all open windows and show the desktop". But this icon is so big. I tried to change it or at least use a text, that takes less space. But I was not able to find out how to do this:
Desktop.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

manyroads
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by manyroads » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:23 am

You can also set whiskermenu to open 'floating'.
Pax vobiscum,
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Huckleberry
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Huckleberry » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:26 am

Ah yes, that was the same thing I looked for, for a long time.. But sadly I noticed that it's the only one you can't change the icon simply. (There's a way to go to icon folders deep and change another icon's name to that - workaround- but, long story..). So if you like, you may remove it and can use keyboard shortcuts to "minimize all"..

( Menu => Keyboard ) and "shotcuts" tab above.. You can create a simpler thing if you like also.. The default one was something like Ctrl + Alt + M , or so..) ..
When asking for help, please first : Menu => MX Tools => Quick System Info
Even no need to select & copy. The output will get in the clipboard automatically, just paste.

MX 18.3 - 32bit 5.2.15-antix.1-686-smp-pae

manyroads
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by manyroads » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:32 am

I simply mapped whiskermenu to my Super (win) key. On another note, if you have not tried 'rofi' I highly recommend it. The things you can do with that little tool are amazing and it's fast. I'll start a thread on the topic soon.

https://github.com/davatorium/rofi
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Rofi
Pax vobiscum,

Return to “MX Help”