News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

checking for updates takes 5-10 minutes after internet connection

Help for Current Versions of MX
Duliwi
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

checking for updates takes 5-10 minutes after internet connection

Post by Duliwi » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:08 pm

I start my little netbook with MX Linux about once per month. But before I want to do anything with it, I want to be sure, that all software is up-to-date.

I know, I have to wait, until the package icon on the task-list is green. Then I can start the update.

But my annoyance is: After having started the MX Linux system it takes about 5-10 minutes until this package icon turns green, when there are some updates available.

I use this system ONLY for Internet banking or for buying things in the internet. For all the tasks that are connected with money. So this should be a secure system.

But when I once a month use this system I first have to update this system, before I can use it. To e sure, that it is secure.

So for making a little bank transaction or buying something in a shop, I always need about 10 minutes until the packet symbol is green, then 3 minutes until the update is done and another 3 minutes to log me into the bank account. -> 16 minutes.

(Going to the nearest bank branch would be quicker. But unfortunately, fewer and fewer banks offer counter banking. And if they do, it costs extra fees. The banks point out that internet banking is faster than traditional banking!!!!)

So I was looking for a way to speed up the update process.
My idea: Starting Synaptic manually. Then choose "Status" and "installed". Then "mark all packages with newer versions". This way I was hoping, I can force MX Linux to inform me about all updates in a faster way.
But: As long as the package icon on the task-list is not green, it gives me also not updates in Synaptic.

Windows system vs. Linux:
Until now I was using a Windows system for internet banking und buying things.
The annoyance was: As I was using this windows system only one a month, I always had to do the virus scanner update first which took about 15 minutes. And yes, also the windows update took some time.
My expectation was: As in linux I use no virus scanner, I will be much faster than with the windows system until I am ready for working with the system.Yes linux is a little bit faster, until the system is ready to work, but I am disappointed. I expected to be informed 30 seconds after MX Linux connects to the Internet when updates are available, not after 5-10 minutes.

Question:
Is there any way to speed up the checking after updates process?

Would appreciate some answer. Thank you.

fehlix
Developer

Re: checking for updates takes 5-10 minutes after internet connection

Post by fehlix » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:22 pm

Duliwi wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:08 pm
But my annoyance is: After having started the MX Linux system it takes about 5-10 minutes until this package icon turns green, when there are some updates available.
You don't need to wait 10 minutes : Right click on the Updater-icon -> Check for Updates
And if the repo-mirror is not fast enough open "MX Repo" and select another one.
:puppy:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Richard

Post by Richard » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:51 pm

I have an older, slower netbook; as well as slow internet. Most recent large updates have been Firefox. Theoretically, they are security related.
And Firefox updates are via MXrepo.
LT: MX18.3: Thinkpad T430: DualCore, Intel i5-3320M, Ivy Bridge; 8GB RAM; 4.19.0-5-amd64; 119GB SSD 840PRO, Intel Graphics-Audio-Network

NB: antiX19b2full-xfce; MX18.3: AsusTek EeePC 1005HA: Intel DualCore Atom N270, 1GB RAM, 4.19.0-5-686, 150GB HDD

turtlebay777
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by turtlebay777 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:36 pm

Duliwi wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:08 pm

Question:

Open a terminal and type

Code: Select all

sudo apt update
into it, answer the request for your password and the system checks for updates immediately.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Post by JayM » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:02 pm

Or simply right-click on the MX Updater icon and select "Check for Updates." Read this:
https://mxlinux.org/wiki/help-files/hel ... -notifier/
Please read How To Ask For Help and How to Break Your System.
MX User Manual: hold down ALT and press F1. Further information may be found in the MX Wiki.

richb
Administrator

Post by richb » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:15 pm

I notice that the identical advice is given for a question within the same thread. Please check the thread so you do not repeat.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 18.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Post by JayM » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:32 pm

Sorry, Rich. Hadn't had enough coffee when I posted it (it's morning here.) My advice to read the wiki page that explains how the updater works still stands though.
Please read How To Ask For Help and How to Break Your System.
MX User Manual: hold down ALT and press F1. Further information may be found in the MX Wiki.

Duliwi
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by Duliwi » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:20 am

Thank you all.

Now, in "repo manager" I have pressed the button "select fastest MX repo for me" .
MX Linux has chosen "Anycast Worldwide" (evowise) for me.

Then I have started the terminal and have typed in:
sudo apt update

The process was stuck on the following line for 2 minutes:
update pausiert.jpg
After this it was fast until the end of the checking process:
update ende.jpg

Question:
What does it mean, that it takes 2 minutes (see picture one). Is there anything I can do, to make it faster?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fehlix
Developer

Post by fehlix » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:38 am

Duliwi wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:20 am
What does it mean, that it takes 2 minutes (see picture one). Is there anything I can do, to make it faster?
Better select manually another repo-mirror. Reason: "Select fastest" does measure only the connection speed to the mirror, but does have no idea about the real service-response time/speed. "Anycast Worldwide" is known to provide sometimes a pure service speed.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Duliwi
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by Duliwi » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:53 am

Ah thank you. Works now.

Another question:
Sometimes Hit:2 has the prefix Ign (ignore?). But when Imake the update checking a few minutes later, it can be, that hit:4 has the prefix Ign and the Hit:2 has "Hit" as prefix.
(See picture in the thread above.)

What does this mean? Why is anything ignored and why is not always the same hit ignored?

Return to “MX Help”