News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Install without grub

Help for Current Versions of MX
KoO
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Install without grub

Post by KoO » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:49 am

@asqwerth
Awesome information and well explained to this is a C & P into my help file.

@Huckleberry
Thanks for your input.
Main : MX18.3 Debian10 (i3) , Liquorix , Intel Xeon E3-1241 v3 , 16gb , GTX970 . :linuxlove:
Lenovo T430 : Debian10 antiX17 (i3) , 4.20.12 , i5 , 12gb .
Lenovo X220 : Debian10 antiX17 (i3) , 4.19.170 , i5 , 8gb . BiosMod 1.46

sunrat
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by sunrat » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:18 am

KoO wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:50 pm
...I just fined that systemd is not friendly with dual boot systems...
I have 2 systems, one with 3 distros plus Win7, the other with 5 distros plus Win10. Both boot using GRUB from siduction which uses systemd.
I can only extrapolate about dual boot, but it works fine here for quad and hex boot. :happy:

Regarding swap, IIRC you can use an existing swap for MX install without formatting it. It's one niggle I found when installing Debian Buster recently, swap is formatted if you choose an existing one which will mess it up for other distros. The only way I found during Debian install to avoid swap reformat was to not designate a swap partition in the installer (it will generate a warning which can be ignored) and configure it later.

Head_on_a_Stick
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Head_on_a_Stick » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:31 am

KoO wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:50 pm
I just fined that systemd is not friendly with dual boot systems and if I install MX or what ever with grub Debian goes into like recovery mode and does system checks on first booting back into Debian, which in turn causes a policy 31 error right at the top of the boot log screen. But i am still not sure what causes this to happen..
That's actually a feature of systemd rather than a bug — the error message at boot alerts the user to the failing mountpoint and consequent lack of swap. Under sysvinit the swap would fail silently and without warning so the user would be blissfully unaware of the problem until their system locks up hard under load.

If you have a disk with a GUID partition table then you can delete the swap lines in /etc/fstab and let systemd auto-mount it instead: https://www.freedesktop.org/software/sy ... rator.html

Oh, and I would recommend swap even for machines with large amounts of RAM because Linux handles out-of-memory problems really, really badly.
"Direct action is the logical, consistent method of anarchism." — Emma Goldman

KoO
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by KoO » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:46 pm

Installed MX-18.3 yesterday as pre your post without installing grub. After install on Debian10 sudo update-grub worked a Dream Thank You.. :number1: (@ Head_on_a_Stick And a Happy swap partition Too.)
asqwerth wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:53 am
KoO wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:21 am

...So lets say with 16gb ram I don't even need a swap if I remove the swap the grub booting unhappiness would stop..This will be tested.. :crossfingers:
No, don't remove (ie, do not delete/wipe] the swap that you created in Debian. That will make Debian wonder on bootup what happened to swap partition, because it's comparing the list of partitions that are supposed to be mounted - as set out in its /etc/fstab file - with what's actually on your machine. That's why when you reformat the same swap partition and give it a new UUID number, that new number won't match the swap uuid in the Debian fstab file and will cause the 90s system check to run.

So, the first step, if you've since reformatted swap a few times and don't know its current identity, you can do a

Code: Select all

sudo blkid
command in Debian to find out the current UUID of swap partition on the machine.

Then open /etc/fstab in Debian to check if the swap entry has the same UUID. If not, edit the fstab file in root to enter in the current UUID for swap.

From then on, don't reformat swap when installing another distro.

Your 2nd or later distros need not have a swap partition at all during install, particularly when you have enough RAM. For MX's installation, choosing the option to not have a swap partition will automatically cause MX to look for existing swap partitions and write their existing UUID number into MX's fstab file. FOr some other distros, it may mean no swap partition whatsoever is listed in their fstab file on installation.

After installation, if you decide you really want a swap partition for your (non-MX) secondary distro, you can always boot into the secondary distro, and edit its fstab file in root by copying over Debian's fstab entry for swap.
Main : MX18.3 Debian10 (i3) , Liquorix , Intel Xeon E3-1241 v3 , 16gb , GTX970 . :linuxlove:
Lenovo T430 : Debian10 antiX17 (i3) , 4.20.12 , i5 , 12gb .
Lenovo X220 : Debian10 antiX17 (i3) , 4.19.170 , i5 , 8gb . BiosMod 1.46

Return to “MX Help”