News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Boot Stops & Holds, part 2

Help for Current Versions of MX
OBJuan
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Boot Stops & Holds, part 2

Post by OBJuan » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:28 pm

Back in the middle of June, I had requested some help with my MX boot process stopping and holding with options to do maintenance or do "control D". Buck Fankers and Fehlix were both very helpful and kind to this new MX user. Thanks again.
Well, it happend again, after I had used my MX computer to do a little "g-parted" operation on a ssd from another computer. The ailing ssd was hooked up as a second internal and we had our g-parted party (successfully). Rebooted from my "MX SSD" after removing the once sick ssd and I got this notice:

[ 0.228207} ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Could not resolve {\_PR.CPUO._PPCL, AE_NOT_FOUND (20180810/psargs-330)
{ 0.228281} ACP Error: Method parse/execution failed\_PR.CPUO._PPCL, AE_NOT_FOUND (22180810/psparse-516)
Give root password for maintenance
(or press Control-D to continue):

Cntrl D did result in a boot to MX. I then rebooted using my new (as of mid June) live usb with persistence that Buck challenged me to make, and went to g-parted. Did "check partition", shut down and rebooted from the internal mx ssd. The boot still stalled with the notification above (in italics). This is when I went to MX Tools and MX Boot Repair and somehow I ended up with a screen that recommended the removal of two device references. I did remove the references and when I rebooted the process went normally. I was distracted during this part of my search for a answer and don't remember exactly what I did. Can anyone help this "unconscious geek" re-construct the steps that got to that "removal" recommendation. Really would like to know what I did.

Richard

Re: Boot Stops & Holds, part 2

Post by Richard » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:45 pm

This is my opinion:
OBJuan wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:28 pm
Well, it happend again, after I had used my MX computer to do a little "g-parted" operation on a ssd from another computer. The ailing ssd was hooked up as a second internal and we had our g-parted party (successfully). Rebooted from my "MX SSD" after removing the once sick ssd and I got this notice:

[ 0.228207} ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Could not resolve {\_PR.CPUO._PPCL, AE_NOT_FOUND (20180810/psargs-330)
{ 0.228281} ACP Error: Method parse/execution failed\_PR.CPUO._PPCL, AE_NOT_FOUND (22180810/psparse-516)
Give root password for maintenance
(or press Control-D to continue):

I was distracted during this part of my search for a answer and don't remember exactly what I did. Can anyone help this "unconscious geek" re-construct the steps that got to that "removal" recommendation. Really would like to know what I did.
Apparently you executed
$ sudo update-grub
While the ailing SSD was connected,
and probably that SSD had a swap drive that was updated in the grub menu of your computer.

When you rebooted after removal of the other SSD, grub could not find either that disk or the swap partition. The missing swap caused grub to stop, and ask for either the root password or Ctrl-d, in other words fix or ignore.

Ctrl-d just says ignore the error and continue.
The error was that there was a swap partition in /etc/fstab whose UUID or other parameter is incorrect.

You probably executed Disk Manager which deactivated the ailing SSD and the swap partition or file that has disappeared.

That's my understanding, based on having seen similar errors in the past.
LT: MX18.3: Thinkpad T430: DualCore, Intel i5-3320M, Ivy Bridge; 8GB RAM; 4.19.0-5-amd64; 119GB SSD 840PRO, Intel Graphics-Audio-Network

NB: antiX19b2full-xfce; MX18.3: AsusTek EeePC 1005HA: Intel DualCore Atom N270, 1GB RAM, 4.19.0-5-686, 150GB HDD

OBJuan
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by OBJuan » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:47 pm

Richard,
Thank you for your insight. Although I don't recall doing the update thing, you may be on to something here. Next time I need to straighten out a wayward ssd there are going to be some notes taken.
Appreciate your response,
Doug

Richard

Post by Richard » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:20 am

The MX Boot Repair runs the "update-grub" utility as part of it's repair, which adds all connected and mounted devices to /etc/fstab.

Saludos.
LT: MX18.3: Thinkpad T430: DualCore, Intel i5-3320M, Ivy Bridge; 8GB RAM; 4.19.0-5-amd64; 119GB SSD 840PRO, Intel Graphics-Audio-Network

NB: antiX19b2full-xfce; MX18.3: AsusTek EeePC 1005HA: Intel DualCore Atom N270, 1GB RAM, 4.19.0-5-686, 150GB HDD

Return to “MX Help”