News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

2.4 ghz router issues

dolphin_oracle
Developer

2.4 ghz router issues

Post by dolphin_oracle » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:04 pm

This one is for the networking hardware gurus.

Yesterday the 2.4ghz radio in my home router seemingly quit working. This wasnt' shocking, given that the router is several years old now. However, upon dutifully purchasing a new router, the 2.4ghz radio in the new router exhibited the same behavior. That is, wireless devices either couldn't connect at all, or could connect but briefly. Not having bought from the best retailer in the area, and having no issues at all with the 5ghz bands, I returned the new router as non-working and purchased a more expensive router. this one a linkysys AC model.

It has the same issue. 2.4ghz connection problems, no problem at all in 5ghz mode.

So now I start suspecting interference. I've done the following so far.

1. turnned off all my fluorescent and LED lights (figuring maybe ballast problems).
2. disconnected and powered down the home telephone (2.4ghz )
3. disconnected the home microwave (another 2.4 ghz source)
4. powered down and unplugged the home printer, which used wifi by default.
5. powered down and unplugged the nintendo wii, which uses the 2.4ghz wifi.
6. moved the router to the complete opposite end of my house. approx. shift in position of 35 feet.
7. installed a second router in my wife's garage office, which has wired ethernet. approximate shift in position of about 60'.
8. turned off wifi on all cell phones.
9. scanned the spectrum with a wifi scanner and changed channels (currently have tried channels 1 and 6, 6 being the current and fairly empty one.)
10. disabled security totally on the 2.4 ghz network.
11. reset the routers.
12. changed names of the networks to avoid some sort of previously cached settings (lots of windows machines in the house).

so far, on any of 3 routers currently in my possession, the 5ghz works perfectly, the 2.4 ghz fails. Same symptoms whether hooked up to the internet or not. same symptoms in "access point" mode vs. "gateway router" mode. On router is 2.4ghz only, and it fails as well, although its old enough I don't remember why I even have it. I think someone gave it to me in trade.

Our next try is going to take one of the routers about 2 miles away to my wife's school, and see if the connection problem persists. If it does, I guess we are talking bad radios. If not, I have no idea, except some sort of relatively massive outside interference.

In a possibly related story, my "across the street neighbors" may have similar issues, but they are not technical enough to really know. Their son switched them to what I presume are 5ghz networks 2 days ago when the wireless network they have used for years quit working.

So, any ideas?
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-18.3
lenovo s21e - antiX-19 beta 2 (live-USB)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

asinoro
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: 2.4 ghz router issues

Post by asinoro » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:46 pm

On how many os you tried to see if there is any difference?
If your case is solved edit [Solved] to your initial post title to help other users.
Don’t forget to Backup your system
Fix your Grub

Gordon Cooper
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Gordon Cooper » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:47 pm

If your neighbour is having a similar problem, it sounds very much like interference from an outside source. There has been a similar case here in NZ (but not 2.4G) where a piece of equipment purchased via internet from an overseas supplier did not meet the local spectrum allocations and caused serious problems to approved users of a communications channel. If the router works OK at your wife's school, perhaps another neighbour has acquired something that transmits on or close to the
2.4 router channel.
Backup: Dell9010, MX-18.2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

Adrian
Developer

Post by Adrian » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:00 pm

You can use a program like WiFi Analyzer on a cellphone to see what channels are occupied and how the spectrum looks like...

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Post by dolphin_oracle » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:42 pm

Adrian wrote:You can use a program like WiFi Analyzer on a cellphone to see what channels are occupied and how the spectrum looks like...
I'll give that one a go. the analyzer I used is an old one and very simple.
Gordon Cooper wrote:If your neighbour is having a similar problem, it sounds very much like interference from an outside source. There has been a similar case here in NZ (but not 2.4G) where a piece of equipment purchased via internet from an overseas supplier did not meet the local spectrum allocations and caused serious problems to approved users of a communications channel. If the router works OK at your wife's school, perhaps another neighbour has acquired something that transmits on or close to the
2.4 router channel.
Outside interference is what I'm thinking too. There is a fiber rollout apparently going on right now in my town, and they are using strong wifi access points to get the last few hundred feet to people's homes. One of my friend's suggested maybe one of those has been activated and is causing problems. The nearest on is a couple blocks away though.
asinoro wrote:On how many os you tried to see if there is any difference?
any and every. LOL! IOS, android, mx, antiX, windows 7 and windows 10. Add chromeos to that list, although it gives me an "out of range" error, which is different from the others, which generally just fail.

Thanks guys!

asinoro
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by asinoro » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:07 pm

Does your modem has recovery button, if not to unplug for a minute and to connect again.
If your case is solved edit [Solved] to your initial post title to help other users.
Don’t forget to Backup your system
Fix your Grub

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Post by dolphin_oracle » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:33 pm

asinoro wrote:Does your modem has recovery button, if not to unplug for a minute and to connect again.
Yep, I've done the factory resets multiple times.

Shay2
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Shay2 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:11 pm

If you have a wifi card in one of the windows rigs. .
WifiInfoView
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html
is the program I use.

aus9
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by aus9 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:59 pm

I am not joking.

Lets try elimination by human communication? Talk to your neighbours and gently ask if they have bought or setup a electronic equipment in the last few days?

As you are a friendly guy hopefully the others will respond. Or send out a good looking aussie beach babe or similar to weaken the male ego.

If the neighbour is truly innocent their equipment is faulty or non-compliant you would have an answer?
good Luck from MX-16 user

Gordon Cooper
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Gordon Cooper » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:36 pm

D_O said "Outside interference is what I'm thinking too. There is a fiber rollout apparently going on right now in my town, and they are using strong wifi access points to get the last few hundred feet to people's homes. One of my friend's suggested maybe one of those has been activated and is causing problems. The nearest on is a couple blocks away though."

Wonder if you experimented with a bit of screening - piece of kitchen foil? A difficulty is that with the very short wavelength of 2.4 (about 3inches) you get reflections and scatter so that an area becomes flooded with signal, and source direction is hard to identify. Still, some screening tests around the receiving end of your system - . might help. Still unknown is whether it is the receiver in the router or in the computer is being affected. A full solution, not practical, would be a Faraday Shield right around the house.
Backup: Dell9010, MX-18.2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

Return to “Hardware /Configuration”