Welcome!

The kernel problem with recent updates has been solved. Find the solution here

Important information
-- Required MX 15/16 Repository Changes
-- Information on torrent hosting changes
-- Information on MX15/16 GPG Keys
-- Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities

News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Who is using SSD's?

User avatar
scottr954
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:23 pm

Re: Who is using SSD's?

#101

Post by scottr954 » Sun May 05, 2019 4:17 pm

I edited my original post where I called the SSD I received from Crucial, junk. I apologized because after about 20 hours on my daughters HP Pavilion it's working like a champ.

Snaffle
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun May 05, 2019 7:44 pm

Re: Who is using SSD's?

#102

Post by Snaffle » Sun May 05, 2019 8:08 pm

Yes! Just recently switched to SSD, everything is super smooth so far :happy:

User avatar
KBD
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 1822
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:52 pm

Re: Who is using SSD's?

#103

Post by KBD » Sun May 05, 2019 8:21 pm

scottr954 wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 4:17 pm
I edited my original post where I called the SSD I received from Crucial, junk. I apologized because after about 20 hours on my daughters HP Pavilion it's working like a champ.
That is so strange SSD's work differently, or don't work, on certain machines. There must be different firmware or a different process involved with making SSD's across manufacturers. Crucial is a decent brand, but your machine didn't like something about it. Find a place with a liberal return policy and maybe try a Sandisk SSD. I've always been pleased with that brand. And my touchy HP laptop that didn't like the Kingston SSD brand is running fine with a Sandisk SSD, in fact I'm using it right now.

User avatar
KBD
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 1822
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:52 pm

Re: Who is using SSD's?

#104

Post by KBD » Sun May 05, 2019 8:22 pm

Snaffle wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 8:08 pm
Yes! Just recently switched to SSD, everything is super smooth so far :happy:
Awesome :)

User avatar
scottr954
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:23 pm

Re: Who is using SSD's?

#105

Post by scottr954 » Sun May 05, 2019 8:32 pm

KBD wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 8:21 pm
scottr954 wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 4:17 pm
I edited my original post where I called the SSD I received from Crucial, junk. I apologized because after about 20 hours on my daughters HP Pavilion it's working like a champ.
That is so strange SSD's work differently, or don't work, on certain machines. There must be different firmware or a different process involved with making SSD's across manufacturers. Crucial is a decent brand, but your machine didn't like something about it. Find a place with a liberal return policy and maybe try a Sandisk SSD. I've always been pleased with that brand. And my touchy HP laptop that didn't like the Kingston SSD brand is running fine with a Sandisk SSD, in fact I'm using it right now.
Yes it really is! I may as well just keep it now, so I'll just move her (my daughter's) files to the new disk and get her some (slightly) bigger RAM and poof she's got a much, much improved laptop! I really appreciate the suggestion to try it! :toast2:

User avatar
azrielle
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 281
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:34 am

Re: Who is using SSD's?

#106

Post by azrielle » Sun May 05, 2019 11:43 pm

I have replaced all of my mechanical HDDs with SSDs of various sizes and brands over the past 2 years or so. Kingston, Samsung, OCZ, Crucial, Intel, and Dogfish. All are still going strong--I wouldn't hesitate to recommend any of them, though, none of my laptops and netbooks are made by Dell. Even a 1st gen Atom n270 powered netbook benefits significantly, about 2-1/2x boot-up speed difference.
Lenovo T430 i5/3320m 8GB MX17.1/Win7SP1 180GB SSD/128GB mSATA
Lenovo X230 i7/3520m 12GB MX17.1/Win7SP1 500GB SSD
Lenovo X131e i3/3227u 8GB MX17.1/AntiX 17.1 Fluxbox/Win7SP1 500GB SSD
Acer AOD257 Atom n570 2GB MX18.1-32bit/Win7SP1 128GB SSD

User avatar
scottr954
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:23 pm

Re: Who is using SSD's?

#107

Post by scottr954 » Mon May 06, 2019 12:18 am

azrielle wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 11:43 pm
I have replaced all of my mechanical HDDs with SSDs of various sizes and brands over the past 2 years or so. Kingston, Samsung, OCZ, Crucial, Intel, and Dogfish. All are still going strong--I wouldn't hesitate to recommend any of them, though, none of my laptops and netbooks are made by Dell. Even a 1st gen Atom n270 powered netbook benefits significantly, about 2-1/2x boot-up speed difference.
Thanks for this! Yes I'm looking forward to getting one for this Dell now!

User avatar
JayM
Qualified MX Guide
Posts: 2111
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:47 am

Re: Who is using SSD's?

#108

Post by JayM » Mon May 06, 2019 8:52 pm

I received a text message this morning that the SSD drives portion of of my order will be delivered today. At least I can get one of them installed in the netbook (I already have a snapshot of its MX installation burned to a USB.) Then whenever the two drive caddies arrive I can upgrade the desktop too, which is what I'm really looking forward to, not only for the performance boost but to have a second, larger drive available again.
Please read How To Ask For Help and How to Break Your System.
MX User Manual: hold down ALT and press F1. Further information may be found in the MX Wiki.

User avatar
JayM
Qualified MX Guide
Posts: 2111
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:47 am

Re: Who is using SSD's?

#109

Post by JayM » Tue May 07, 2019 1:46 am

The two SSDs arrived at around noon. I got one installed in the netbook: at first it wasn't recognized by the BIOS and I thought I might have to return it for being incompatible, but it turned out that I just hadn't quite seated the connector properly when I inserted the drive in the drive bay. I reinstalled MX from my personal snapshot then did a bit of testing of boot speeds from a powered-off state until the time the user's full desktop including wallpaper had loaded (with auto login.) With the HDD it was 1 minute 30 seconds, with the SSD it's now 1 minute 11 seconds. It's faster but not what I would call exactly fast. I'm a bit disappointed, but I suppose even a fast drive isn't going to make a slow computer become fast. It is what it is: 32-bit, 1.6GHz Atom CPU, 2GB DDR2 800MHz RAM. This is as fast as it's going to get. It's fine, it's just going to be occasionally used as a spare anyway. It's around maybe 20% faster, which is cool. I was just hoping for a bit more dramatic difference. The bottleneck is probably the old SATA controller, which is a a SATA I 1st generation at 1.5GB throughput, on the netbook.

(BTW there is no CMOS battery, it just uses its regular batteries (which don't charge any more) to maintain the BIOS settings. Someone asked about that in another thread.)

Anyway, I have the other 120GB SSD plus the 500GB HDD that was in the netbook that will both go in my desktop when the drive caddies arrive, which may be tomorrow or the next day. Maybe my desktop will have a more noticeable gain in speed and performance than the netbook did.
Please read How To Ask For Help and How to Break Your System.
MX User Manual: hold down ALT and press F1. Further information may be found in the MX Wiki.

User avatar
JayM
Qualified MX Guide
Posts: 2111
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:47 am

Re: Who is using SSD's?

#110

Post by JayM » Sat May 11, 2019 6:47 am

The drive bay adapters arrived today but unfortunately the mounting screws that were supposed to be included, weren't. I went ahead and installed the SSD anyway, just resting it on the "shelf" at the bottom of the separate drive bay for optical drives temporarily until I can locate some screws and mount it properly.

WOW! Booting into MX is so much faster, even though I only have a SATA II controller (the drives support SATA III.) All of my apps and everything run really fast too! One app that I run normally has a splash screen that appears for about a minute while it loads, and I no longer even see that splash screen, it just loads the app. The SSD has made this system seem as fast as the Core i7/12GB DDR3 ultrabook I recently sold. Again I say, WOW!

The only delays in booting are when I'm prompted to enter my LUKS passphrase and again when I'm prompted for my user password. After entering the latter my desktop including wallpaper come up almost instantly. There's still a slight delay before the conky loads though, but that's something I can live with.

I think that later on I'll buy a 500GB or 1TB one and replace the 120GB I have now, so I can use it as my main drive including storage for movies and things, and just use my spinner to store back-ups with an external USB spinner to back up my backups.

This is great!!!
Please read How To Ask For Help and How to Break Your System.
MX User Manual: hold down ALT and press F1. Further information may be found in the MX Wiki.

Post Reply

Return to “Hardware /Configuration”