News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

PIA doesn't support MX Linux (SOLVED)

jj1j1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

PIA doesn't support MX Linux (SOLVED)

Post by jj1j1 » Tue May 28, 2019 8:23 pm

I installed MX 18.3 today. I switched from Ubuntu in which PIA ran OK. After going through several failed attempts of installing PIA from their website I noticed PIA in the MX Package Installer. I tried it, and apparently it had something that the PIA website didn't have, because it started right up. Just to make sure I went to the PIA website, and it says I'm protected. I contacted PIA support and told him about this patched version, and it's like he didn't want to talk about it. All he said is MX isn't supported. If it installs, and their website says I'm protected, I'm good with it all, but it makes me wonder what is PIA not doing, or why they won't support MX.
Last edited by jj1j1 on Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
True freedom is never asking the question; Am I free?

richb
Administrator

Re: PIA doesn't support MX Linux

Post by richb » Tue May 28, 2019 8:38 pm

PIAVPN as distributed by PIA only will work with systemd. Our packagers created a version that will work with sysvinit which is the default init system for MX. Otherwise it is identical to PIA's version providing the same features.

Please mark this topic solved by editing the title of your post and adding {Solved]
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 18.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Post by dolphin_oracle » Tue May 28, 2019 9:14 pm

richb wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 8:38 pm
PIAVPN as distributed by PIA only will work with systemd. Our packagers created a version that will work with sysvinit which is the default init system for MX. Otherwise it is identical to PIA's version providing the same features.

Please mark this topic solved by editing the title of your post and adding {Solved]
to clarify...what we install in MXPI is the pia supplied version,downloaded from their website. we just add the sysVinit scripts required so that is auto-starts.

they really should package those themselves...
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-18.3
lenovo s21e - antiX-19 beta 2 (live-USB)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

figueroa
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by figueroa » Tue May 28, 2019 9:24 pm

From their home screen, "64-bit only. We're working on supporting more Linux flavors and versions." Shame on them. It's not like this is rocket science.
Andy Figueroa
Using Unix from 1984; GNU/Linux from 1993

richb
Administrator

Post by richb » Wed May 29, 2019 5:30 am

dolphin_oracle wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 9:14 pm
richb wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 8:38 pm

to clarify...what we install in MXPI is the pia supplied version,downloaded from their website. we just add the sysVinit scripts required so that is auto-starts.

they really should package those themselves...
The same was done for Mullvad VPN and NordVPN.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 18.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

jj1j1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: PIA doesn't support MX Linux (SOLVED)

Post by jj1j1 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:18 pm

I actually contacted PIA support about this working version, and suggested they add MX as a supported version. All they said was MX isn't supported, and referred me to some reddit threads for help. I have a feeling there's some politics going on...
True freedom is never asking the question; Am I free?

Paul..
Global Moderator

Post by Paul.. » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:52 am

jj1j1 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:18 pm
I actually contacted PIA support about this working version, and suggested they add MX as a supported version. All they said was MX isn't supported, and referred me to some reddit threads for help. I have a feeling there's some politics going on...
I think the explanation for VPN providers' disinterest in supporting MX is much simpler than that...they're just too busy making money to bother...like any other carrier/network service provider.

Asus Prime X470-Pro | AMD Ryzen 5 1400 (8 threads)
16 Gig DDR4 3000 | nVidia - GeForce GTX 750 Ti
Samsung 970 NVMe SSD | 860 500GB SSD

Cavsfan
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by Cavsfan » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:57 pm

I'm glad I found that on my own - the package in MX Package Installer. Because I got that error about Systemd also upon trying to install their version.

I've tried many distros and they do vary if I can just install the app or if I have to use scripts, aliases in terminal.

On Arch Linux it installs as well as Windows 10 does. It even updates from the app in the panel like Windows 10 does.

I've got openSUSE TW, Fedora 30 and I even installed Antix 17.4.1 in the last few days, it gets the error about systemd. I don't recall exactly but, I think most of those use the script running in terminal option.

But, at least they work on all 8 systems I have - 7 Linux and Windows 10.

Yes, I'm quite sure they are busy and personally I believe they are doing a good job.
Creating a Custom Maintenance Free GRUB2 Screen Community Wiki for Legacy/MBR and UEFI/GPT systems
Intel Core i7-4770K, Mobo: ASUSTeK model: Z87-K, Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti, 16GB RAM, 1TB Western Digital Blue SSD, 480GB OCZ VERTEX460 SSD

Return to “Software / Configuration”