News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

minstall problem and a Question

AK-47
Developer

Re: minstall problem and a Question

Post by AK-47 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:27 am

rs55, While I understand your frustration, in order for us to help you with this problem this requires some co-operation on your end also. The 19.4 installer is not supported on MX 18.3 and may end up making your situation worse.

Yes, you provided the minstall.log, but I need the rest of the information as well.
Now, from the log you provided, it looks as if the installer had trouble picking up the user accounts on your particular setup.

Here are the commands I need you to run while inside the live snapshot:

Code: Select all

ls -als /home
grep -E '^UID_MIN|^UID_MAX' /etc/login.defs
getent passwd {1000..60000}
I need the output of all three of these commands so that I can work out why the installer isn't picking up your user accounts.

If you're having trouble copying from the terminal directly, you can save this to a script file (eg. script.sh) and run:

sh script.sh > userout.txt
You can copy and attach the userout.txt file here the same way you did the log file.

You have now been requested 3 times to provide this information, so I won't be responding further unless this is provided.
The only exception is if you are having any trouble getting this information, in which case, please let me know.
MX Linux 18.3 - Panasonic CF-30 - 3GB RAM - 160GB HDD - Core 2 Duo

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Post by dolphin_oracle » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:45 am

rs55 wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:21 am
asqwerth wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:13 am
R55, you should input your original name and password in the text fields to get the error, and hopefully that will be recorded in the logs.
Its getting late here - Iam going to call it a night! Will try and get you this info over the next day or so. In the meantime maybe you can try installing a Personal Snapshot - burned on to usb with LUM. And try the installer. This feels like a design issue to me - highly unlikely to be specific to my thinkpad .
FWIW, that is exactly what I spent yesterday doing.

i don't think its specific to your thinkpad but it might be specific to some combination of stuff for your username or perhaps something else. It certainly bears investigating.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-18.3
lenovo s21e - antiX-19 beta 2 (live-USB)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Post by dolphin_oracle » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:54 am

rs55 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:11 pm
dolphin_oracle wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:19 pm
I want to say here that I've been working with several snapshots and personal snapshots today, and so far the latest version of the installer is working as intended. the user creation screen has not been offerred on personal snapshot installations, from either iso files or from live-USBs, on several different machines.

so maybe the bug rs55 encountered has been fixed.
dolphin - could you check what version of minstall you have? Thanks a lot.
19.5.2 is the one I used. I thought it was one of the 19.6's but it wasn't.

Paul..
Global Moderator

Post by Paul.. » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:56 am

@rs55, can you give us some example usernames you have tried to enter on that page that have failed...possibly use a camera or the 'screenshot' app to capture the error message(s) that are generated when the usernames are rejected?

Asus Prime X470-Pro | AMD Ryzen 5 1400 (8 threads)
16 Gig DDR4 3000 | nVidia - GeForce GTX 750 Ti
Samsung 970 NVMe SSD | 860 500GB SSD

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Post by dolphin_oracle » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:59 am

quick question...does the demo account still exist on your personal snapshot?

rs55
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by rs55 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:09 pm

AK-47 wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:27 am
rs55, While I understand your frustration, in order for us to help you with this problem this requires some co-operation on your end also. The 19.4 installer is not supported on MX 18.3 and may end up making your situation worse.

Yes, you provided the minstall.log, but I need the rest of the information as well.
Now, from the log you provided, it looks as if the installer had trouble picking up the user accounts on your particular setup.

Here are the commands I need you to run while inside the live snapshot:

ls -als /home
grep -E '^UID_MIN|^UID_MAX' /etc/login.defs
getent passwd {1000..60000}
I need the output of all three of these commands so that I can work out why the installer isn't picking up your user accounts.

If you're having trouble copying from the terminal directly, you can save this to a script file (eg. script.sh) and run:

sh script.sh > userout.txt
You can copy and attach the userout.txt file here the same way you did the log file.

You have now been requested 3 times to provide this information, so I won't be responding further unless this is provided.
The only exception is if you are having any trouble getting this information, in which case, please let me know.
OK attached is the file with your requests:
userout.txt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rs55
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by rs55 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:11 pm

dolphin_oracle wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:59 am
No - no Demo - just root and rs

rs55
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by rs55 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:24 pm

dolphin_oracle wrote:
One other thing: I dont check the box that says "preserve data in /home....". I dont have a separate /home partition . I am not exactly sure what this does - but I dont check the box.

rs55
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by rs55 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:28 pm

rs55 wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:24 pm
dolphin_oracle wrote:
One other thing: I dont check the box that says "preserve data in /home....". I dont have a separate /home partition . I am not exactly sure what this does - but I dont check the box.
My logic: My new snapshot/LUM may have included many changes to /home , which I want to install on the new machine. So , I dont want to preserve whatever old /home was on the new machine.

Artim
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Artim » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:33 pm

rs55 wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:40 am
MX has a huge opportunity in front of it. <snipped for brevity> It is important to define your audience as you make changes to key components of the system - like the installer. After all if the installer is finicky - new users will just move on and miss out on the great MX experience.

<snippeted>

... if you make design choices that makes life a teeny bit easier for them while breaking important functionality for the average home user - you will be missing out on a huge potential audience. When it comes to trade-offs, I would suggest making it foolproof and consistent for the home user. The enthusiast crowd is in any event more sophisticated and probably don't need hand-holding.
The installer, in particular, is the main reason why I have promoted Linux Mint or Linux Lite for newbies who will be installing it themselves. When I do the installation on a newbie's computer myself, I choose MX!

I was one of those newbies who missed out on the great MX experience for a while precisely because of the installer being a confusing and scary thing. Granted I'm a technophobe anyway, from a race of technophobes (see my profile). But even people who are not so easily put off by technology are scared off by complicated stuff with warnings about wiping out the known universe if you make a bad choice, lol.

Return to “Software / Configuration”