News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

I answered a topic re. the dreaded "Best" video editing software

handy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

I answered a topic re. the dreaded "Best" video editing software

Post by handy » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:51 am

When I went to submit my post the thread seems to have dissapeared?

Anyway, here's my answer anyway...

I bought a drone towards the end of last year. It has an incredibly high quality video camera built in. (To the point that I'm astounded at the technology.)

Anyway, I hadn't really done much with video in the past, beyond learning some tricks (via a youtube video course) for setting up & using Blender as a video editor. Blender is much better at it than most people think, but it is certainly not the easiest way to do it.

Anyway, I tried a few different editors (including Kdenlive) & I wasn't too impressed with any of them, until I discovered Shotcut, which makes doing so many things so much quicker & easier than any of the others.

It is an incredibly intelligent piece of video editing software. In some ways I think it is like the next generation. It is still for the hobbyest though. If you have need to do professional work, then I'm sorry to say that you will most likely need to head to Windows or Apple based software (that is incredibly expensive).

I highly recommend that you have a look at Shotcut. If you spend a little time (it really shouldn't take you long to appreciate that it just does some things for you without any user input, that on other editors you have to spend time on). Though, saying it really shouldn't take you long to do anything with video editing is certainly saying something... lol

I watched a ~24 minute "Shotcut 2018 Beginners Tutorial" from their website, & it just opened the doors to my understanding of the software. It is just so simple to use for the basics. There are lots more video tutorials available. I downloaded a pile of them for reference.

One final point: Whenever anyone posts a topic asking what's the "Best" hardware or software for something, they usually get a pile of people saying that what they use is the best. & those people "may" be right. But what they are saying is "what is best for them". That may not be the best for you.

Whoever says whatever. Take it with a grain of salt, & have a look at those suggestions that interest you, & do what pleases you.

Good luck with your pursuit & have fun with your editing the creation of your video projects.
Clevo N'book (2014): P150SM-A
CPU: i7-4810MQ (Haswell) Speed: 2800/3800 MHz
RAM: 16 GiB 1600 MHz DDR3
GPU-1: i915
GPU-2: NVIDIA GK104M [GeForce GTX 880M] vRAM: 8GB 2500 Mhz DDR5
Storage: TOSHIBA 931.51 GiB. HGST 931.51 GiB. Crucial 223.57 GiB (M.2 SSD)

Utopia
Global Moderator

Re: I answered a topic re. the dreaded "Best" video editing software

Post by Utopia » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:23 am

When I went to submit my post the thread seems to have dissapeared?
Yes, it was deleted as spam. Only posted to advertise a video editing site.
Henry

MX-Addict
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by MX-Addict » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:01 pm

While I agree with Utopia that this thread sorta smacks of spam, I've also gotta put my two cents in.
I've used a lot of different video-editing software through the years, and must admit that Shotcut is also my goto video-editor for general editing.
But this is an MX Linux forum.
How I use Shotcut on MX Linux is the same way I use it on all my machines. AppImage all the way, baby!
Just stick your AppImages in a folder in /opt/, create a launcher that points to it and pop it in /usr/share/applications/, then you've got the AppImage available in the menu to all users, packaged with all it's dependencies. AppImages are da bomb!
At the risk of someone thinking I'm adding to the spam, I'll provide a link to the Shotcut AppImage: https://appimage.github.io/Shotcut/

richb
Administrator

Post by richb » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:30 pm

Curious why not Shotcut from the MX Test?
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 18.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

Return to “Software / Configuration”