News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

FBReader path? [Solved]

tascoast
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

FBReader path? [Solved]

Post by tascoast » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:43 am

I gave a friend some ebooks I obtained from Project Gutenburg, copying over my Calibre library but found it a bit confusing to set up for them using the default FBReader. Calibre is familiar to me and has a much easier and informative interface and features like bulk conversion.

I was a bit stumped trying to add books to FBReader and the ~/FBooks:~/Books path found in Options. I don't recognise this or know how to substitute for an existing library location so would be grateful for advice.

Given the user has forgotten their MX user/root passwords, I was unable to add Calibre and they found FDR difficult to use. I'll update their system to the latest MX-18 version shortly and hope Calibre will suit them, but would like to know about the FDReader path thing for reference.
Kindly
Mick
Last edited by tascoast on Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lenovo ThinkCentre A58 4GBRAM (64-bit), MX17/MX-16/antiX17/Mint 19

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Re: FBReader path?

Post by JayM » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:04 am

~/ is a common "shorthand" for one's home directory, so you would create a directory in home called FBooks and put your ebooks there.
Please read How To Ask For Help and How to Break Your System.
MX User Manual: hold down ALT and press F1. Further information may be found in the MX Wiki.

tascoast
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by tascoast » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:45 am

JayM wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:04 am
~/ is a common "shorthand" for one's home directory, so you would create a directory in home called FBooks and put your ebooks there.
Aha, thanks kindly. It works fine after copying to a user sub-directory. Perhaps I need to use ../media/data/Calibre or something similar to get FBReader to use a folder on my data partition (it is automounted at startup). In any case, using the path as shown in Thunar did not work initially.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Post by JayM » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:49 am

The default FBReader path to the ebooks library is editable. /media/data/Calibre should work (though I haven't used FBreader or tested it, I only read ebooks on my phone.)
Please read How To Ask For Help and How to Break Your System.
MX User Manual: hold down ALT and press F1. Further information may be found in the MX Wiki.

tascoast
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by tascoast » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:08 am

I am likewise reading a lot of regular books on my phone via a big brand app, although many of the books I do want to study a bit further seem best viewed on a larger screen at times eg.early European explorations of Australia where maps and sketches are available, but also because of the portability of such works outside of proprietary formats or applications. From what I've seen, big brand only offers a selection of those on the Gutenberg site and I am also mindful that the Australian version of Gutenberg offers a slightly larger range of material not available in other copyright domains.
Much thanks for the help above.

Return to “Software / Configuration”