News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

[Solved] How to install OpenCPN

towwire
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: How to install OpenCPN

Post by towwire » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:36 pm

When he first asked about it I looked and saw that the 4.8 version was in stable and the 5 version was in test. It looks like the 5 version has been moved to stable. I use the la-repo and just out for a test I get this:

Code: Select all

towwire@mx18.2:~
$ sudo aptitude install opencpn
[sudo] password for towwire: 
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libjavascriptcoregtk-1.0-0{a} libtinyxml2.6.2v5{a} 
  libwebkitgtk-1.0-0{a} libwxbase3.0-0v5{a} libwxgtk-webview3.0-0v5{a} 
  libwxgtk3.0-0v5{a} opencpn opencpn-gshhs-crude{a} 
  opencpn-gshhs-low{a} opencpn-tcdata{a} wx3.0-i18n{a} 
The following packages are RECOMMENDED but will NOT be installed:
  geoclue-2.0 opencpn-doc opencpn-gshhs-full opencpn-gshhs-high 
  opencpn-gshhs-intermediate xcalib 
0 packages upgraded, 11 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 28.6 MB of archives. After unpacking 120 MB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] 
I did not try to install as I did not want it on this computer. I don't remember who did this when I first asked for it a long time ago but I have all ways been thankful how you guy's do programs when only a few people want it.

I hope he get's it worked out as it is a good navigation program.
Normal people think "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Engineers think "If it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet".

Stevo
Developer

Post by Stevo » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:19 pm

JayM wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:53 pm
If Stevo's suggestion doesn't solve it, this could possibly be the culprit:

Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/jgeboski.list 
1: deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/jgeboski/Debian_9.0/ ./
It appears to be a PPA of some sort??
No, the openSUSE Build Service can also create fully Debian-compatible packages, unlike an Ubuntu-only PPA. I'm using is right now to build XFCE-4.14 as a test for Stretch/MX 17-18, and we might leave it there, or have it in a separate MX repo instead of testing, because it would create conflicts with packages in testing meant for 4.12 versus those built for 4.14.

The OBS is pretty amazing. It can build packages for many different distros from just one set of source file uploads, and I only wish I knew how to take full advantage of its power. Right now, it's like I only know how to shift into first and second gears.

Look at what the SMPlayer developer can use it for: https://build.opensuse.org/package/show ... v/smplayer

Though I do know how to get it to build on Debian 7.0, but that's dead by now. I wonder if he knows he can also get it to build Debian packages for armhf (Pi) and arm64, too--plus Raspbian. That's usually just a few clicks in the web interface--I have those enabled for the XFCE-4.14 build.

mmikeinsantarosa
Developer

Post by mmikeinsantarosa » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:01 pm

towwire wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:36 pm
When he first asked about it I looked and saw that the 4.8 version was in stable and the 5 version was in test. It looks like the 5 version has been moved to stable. I use the la-repo and just out for a test I get this:

towwire@mx18.2:~
$ sudo aptitude install opencpn
[sudo] password for towwire: 
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libjavascriptcoregtk-1.0-0{a} libtinyxml2.6.2v5{a} 
  libwebkitgtk-1.0-0{a} libwxbase3.0-0v5{a} libwxgtk-webview3.0-0v5{a} 
  libwxgtk3.0-0v5{a} opencpn opencpn-gshhs-crude{a} 
  opencpn-gshhs-low{a} opencpn-tcdata{a} wx3.0-i18n{a} 
The following packages are RECOMMENDED but will NOT be installed:
  geoclue-2.0 opencpn-doc opencpn-gshhs-full opencpn-gshhs-high 
  opencpn-gshhs-intermediate xcalib 
0 packages upgraded, 11 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 28.6 MB of archives. After unpacking 120 MB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] 
I did not try to install as I did not want it on this computer. I don't remember who did this when I first asked for it a long time ago but I have all ways been thankful how you guy's do programs when only a few people want it.

I hope he get's it worked out as it is a good navigation program.
I'm working on getting all of the plugins into main for the opencpn version 5.0.0. Probably over the weekend, a new build of the opencpn will reveal them all.

- mike
LT: MX18.2 Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-6820HQ Kernel: 5.0.0-7.1-liquorix-amd64 x86_64

Seagasm
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by Seagasm » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:03 pm

I issued the sudo aptitude install opencpn command, this is the result, where do I go now?
Screenshot.png
I pressed Y and nothing was installed.

Oh, I almost forgot, I have the latest version of MX installed in VirtualBox as well. I use this for testing or playing around, guess what, OpenCPN installed there flawlessly, confused????
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mmikeinsantarosa
Developer

Post by mmikeinsantarosa » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:14 pm

Seagasm wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:03 pm
I issued the sudo aptitude install opencpn command, this is the result, where do I go now?

Screenshot.png

I pressed Y and nothing was installed.
libtinyxml2.6.2v5 is in stretch so it should be available.

I'd enter a q to quit the install then figure out why your system can't find it.

If this is a fresh install you may just need to run

sudo apt-get update
then try installing again. If your system still can't find that package, enter the command

inxi -r
and paste the contents of what it gives you here.

- mike
LT: MX18.2 Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-6820HQ Kernel: 5.0.0-7.1-liquorix-amd64 x86_64

Seagasm
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by Seagasm » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:11 am

Hi Mike, below is a copy of my repos.
Screenshot.png
Interesting note here, the files relating to libwxgtk-webview3.0-0v5 are not installed on my default MX-OS system but are in VirtualBox MX-OS where OpenCPN is running. I found a link https://www.kreationnext.com/support/ho ... table-sid/. Should I go down this track or is there a repair facility in MX I should tackle, perhaps recommend a Repo?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

asqwerth
Developer

Post by asqwerth » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:54 am

Seagasm wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:11 am

Screenshot.png

Interesting note here, the files relating to libwxgtk-webview3.0-0v5 are not installed on my default MX-OS system but are in VirtualBox MX-OS where OpenCPN is running. I found a link https://www.kreationnext.com/support/ho ... table-sid/. Should I go down this track or is there a repair facility in MX I should tackle, perhaps recommend a Repo?
Whenever you are asked to paste the contents of some command here, instead of pasting the screenshot could you just select the text in your terminal, copy (right click the mouse) and paste the text in this thread, bookended by the tags [ code ] and [ / code ] (without any spaces in the tags]

Text is searchable while picture images are not.

Thanks
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

mmikeinsantarosa
Developer

Post by mmikeinsantarosa » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:56 am

Seagasm wrote:

Screenshot.png

I wouldn't recommend doing anything non-MX to solve this just yet. We need to figure out why your repository set isn't seeing

libtinyxml2.6.2v5
since I package, my base hardware install might have packages from test so I have to use a clean stock VM to check things like this and I also have libtinyxml2.6.2v5 available in my MX-18 VMs.

Let's make sure your VM and your HW install are the same MX. Run

inxi -S
in a terminal in you hardware and VM installs. I am assuming they are both MX-18.3. Could you confirm this? And like asqwerth said, paste the contents for the returns of these commands between code tags in this thread.

Then if they are the same, it could be some kind of repo issue. Launch MX Tools->Repo Manager and confirm that both your VM and your HW installs are on the same repos then let us know what you find.

mmikeinsantarosa
Developer

Post by mmikeinsantarosa » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:13 am

Seagasm wrote:

Screenshot.png

hold off on installing opencpn right now. wxwidgets3.0 got bumped from 3.0.2+dfsg-4 to 3.0.4+dfsg-4 and we're working on sorting it out.

- mike

Stevo
Developer

Post by Stevo » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:17 pm

mmikeinsantarosa wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:13 am
hold off on installing opencpn right now. wxwidgets3.0 got bumped from 3.0.2+dfsg-4 to 3.0.4+dfsg-4 and we're working on sorting it out.

- mike
Wait...where did you see that? Debian didn't update it. We have 3.04 in our test repo, but I didn't build the main opencpn 5.0.0 packages with the test repo enabled. I'm fairly sure you don't need the test repo enabled to build the plugins, either, but you will get that newer 3.0.4 if you have the test repo enabled in pbuilder. My philosophy is to keep from adding the test repo unless it's absolutely necessary--instead I just add the extra backports needed in my pbuilder's local repo to avoid unplanned entanglements like this.

Regardless, the fact that your system can't find packages that are in the Stretch repos means you have a flaky main Debian repo as well, and should try another one.

Return to “Software / Configuration”