News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

CLUNK!......CLUNK!.........CLUNK!........goes the DVD writer

If you are having a problem with getting any of your computer's hardware to work with MEPIS or you can't find the right driver, this is the forum to use. It's for newbies and regular users to post questions. Just make sure to post what hardware you are having problems with, in the subject and not just in the post's text area, please.
eemaestro
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

CLUNK!......CLUNK!.........CLUNK!........goes the DVD writer

Post by eemaestro » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:35 pm

This is a weird one! Brought my new PC home Friday. Saturday I put my MEPIS 11 DVD into the DVD writer to see if my BIOS would boot from DVD first (before hard drive). It didn't.
Now when I press the eject button, the drive goes CLUNK! CLUNK! CLUNK! every 2 seconds.
Has anybody ever had & solved this problem? This is a new one for me. Yes, I straightened a paper clip and stuck it into the little hole. It went the hole way in and didn't unjar the door. Twice. It is an HP dvd1270i 24X-Multiformat DVD writer. Cold rebooting didn't help either.

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: CLUNK!......CLUNK!.........CLUNK!........goes the DVD wr

Post by uncle mark » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:45 pm

eemaestro wrote:This is a weird one! Brought my new PC home Friday. Saturday I put my MEPIS 11 DVD into the DVD writer to see if my BIOS would boot from DVD first (before hard drive). It didn't.
Now when I press the eject button, the drive goes CLUNK! CLUNK! CLUNK! every 2 seconds.
Has anybody ever had & solved this problem? This is a new one for me. Yes, I straightened a paper clip and stuck it into the little hole. It went the hole way in and didn't unjar the door. Twice. It is an HP dvd1270i 24X-Multiformat DVD writer. Cold rebooting didn't help either.
If you can't get it to eject from the pinhole and it's making racket, then it's junk. I don't care how old it is. Take it back.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15
Assorted junk: assorted Linuxes

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by lucky9 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:30 pm

It's pretty easy to get the paper-clip (or whatever, I use a small screwdriver) mis-aligned with the actuator that you have to hit in the Emergency Eject Hole. Make sure that you're lined up correctly. You can 'feel' the edge of it fairly easily. Then when in good contact press straight in and hold it for long enough to let the disk stop spinning and the mechanism to try to reclose the Disk Tray. Then you can remove the pin from the hole and manually pull out the tray and remove the disk.

One of my drives (an ASUS) regularly hangs up with a disk inside. And I agree that if this happens to a new drive you should ask for a replacement. On an old drive just keep a pin handy.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by uncle mark » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:39 pm

lucky9 wrote:One of my drives (an ASUS) regularly hangs up with a disk inside. And I agree that if this happens to a new drive you should ask for a replacement. On an old drive just keep a pin handy.
For $20 it's not worth the aggravation.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15
Assorted junk: assorted Linuxes

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by lucky9 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:28 pm

I have two DVD drives so I use the LiteOn branded (slightly newer) one most of the time. I should have mentioned that it seems that only operating systems will cause the problem with the ASUS. So it's not a problem for me. I just use the LiteOn for OS work.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

fbt
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by fbt » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:05 pm

I've had laptop drives be difficult to eject, either manually or software. It seems sometimes the drive will keep spinning and it takes a minute or two to finally eject. Never tho has it made a clunking sound. That to me is definetly the sound of failure. Take it back asap and have the drive replaced.

eemaestro
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by eemaestro » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:44 pm

Thank you, lucky9.
After reading your post, I tried with the straightened paper clip again. I was able to open the door
and extract the MEPIS live DVD. I tried playing a commercially-produced music CD. KsCD plays
the first track only, and then plays it again after a few seconds pause. Any effort to play any other track fails.

After looking at the MEPIS manual, I think I will install the libdvdcss2 package w/ apt-get and then try it again.

$20 buys about five gallons of gasoline. Doesn't sound like much, but it seems more if you haven't had any money coming in for awhile. What I learned is to not buy a DVD-writer from Walmart, and to ask another MEPIS user for a recommendation before buying one.

eemaestro
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by eemaestro » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:06 pm

Still trying to install libdvdcss2. . .

Need to check the box next to

Code: Select all

deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org squeeze main
according to Section 5-7 of the MEPIS manual. Funny, can't find anything marked "squeeze" in the Repositories dialog box in Synaptic. This is my first time using Synaptic, so I may have overlooked something "obvious". Help! Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

kmathern
Developer

Post by kmathern » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:38 pm

eemaestro wrote:Still trying to install libdvdcss2. . .

Need to check the box next to

deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org squeeze main
according to Section 5-7 of the MEPIS manual. Funny, can't find anything marked "squeeze" in the Repositories dialog box in Synaptic. This is my first time using Synaptic, so I may have overlooked something "obvious". Help! Or am I barking up the wrong tree?
The multimedia repo is now as shown below {note that the "ian" was removed from it}

deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org squeeze main
It was changed almost two years ago now, May 2012.

Btw, this is the recommended sources.list for Mepis 11: http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php? ... t_MEPIS_11

eemaestro
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by eemaestro » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:22 pm

I copied your recommended sources.list for Mepis 11, kmathern, and got the following

# apt-get install libdvdcss2
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Package libdvdcss2 is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'libdvdcss2' has no installation candidate
I tried apt-get because I felt overwhelmed by Synaptic. I do appreciate, though, your pointing out the repository name change.

Return to “Hardware General”