News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

How to Install IDE drive into sys. w/ SATA disk controller ?

If you are having a problem with getting any of your computer's hardware to work with MEPIS or you can't find the right driver, this is the forum to use. It's for newbies and regular users to post questions. Just make sure to post what hardware you are having problems with, in the subject and not just in the post's text area, please.
ftinius
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Re: How to Install IDE drive into sys. w/ SATA disk controll

Post by ftinius » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:18 am

m_pav wrote:That device causes some systems to completely hang at boot when connected the wrong way around. One of the SATA ports is for connecting an IDE device to a SATA port on the mainboard, the other is to connect a SATA device to an IDE port on the mainboard and the markings on the converters I have seen are very poorly done so it has always been a guess as to which way to connect the darn things.

I purchased 10 of them, have used 6 successfully and still have 3 left, one is lost forever. They don't always work either, some IDE drives will simply not be recognised by the mainboard SATA controller.
True you have to be careful how you connect them, to date have not had a problem with them not working properly if hooked up correctly. Have not had a problem with the IDE drive not being recognized but guess that certain brands may not be.

m_pav
Developer

Re: How to Install IDE drive into sys. w/ SATA disk controll

Post by m_pav » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:02 am

IDE DVD drives and Gigabit Motherboards are a full lock, non-booter with these devices when the SATA cable is connected to one of the SATA ports on the device, and unrecognised on the other port, haven't tried hard disks, but I'd imagine much the same result. This has been consistent for the last 2-3 years, multiple mainboard types tested, same result.
Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293
(Mine)Lenovo T560, i7-6600U, 16GB, 2.0TB SSHD, MX17 64-bit
(Wifes) Asus M4A88TD-M, AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU, nVidia GF610, 6Gb, 500GB+320GB, MX17 + KDE
(Kids) Intel NUC, J1900, 4GB, 64GB SSD, MX17

Return to “Hardware General”