News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Western Digital MyCloud

If you are having a problem with getting any of your computer's hardware to work with MEPIS or you can't find the right driver, this is the forum to use. It's for newbies and regular users to post questions. Just make sure to post what hardware you are having problems with, in the subject and not just in the post's text area, please.
eemaestro
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Western Digital MyCloud

Post by eemaestro » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:04 am

These Western Digital devices are being advertised on TV:
http://www.wd.com/mycloud
I'm wondering if they might work w/ Linux. I don't know if they even use hard drives. Specifications don't say. Anybody try one of these yet w/ Linux? Does the ext3 filesystem allow accessing a drive or 2 TB from linux? 4 TB ?

BitJam
Developer

Re: Western Digital MyCloud

Post by BitJam » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:44 am

I don't think that works with Linux. However, we have been doing that same thing with Linux for well over a decade. It is called Network Attached Storage (NAS).

If you are using it as a backup, then it is usually based on the rsync program. If you use btrfs or zfs on the NAS then you get snapshots pretty much for free, otherwise they can be made efficiently with the GNU cp program and hardlinks.

Return to “Hardware General”