News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Adding 2nd hdd confuses M8 and M11 [Resolved]

If you are having a problem with getting any of your computer's hardware to work with MEPIS or you can't find the right driver, this is the forum to use. It's for newbies and regular users to post questions. Just make sure to post what hardware you are having problems with, in the subject and not just in the post's text area, please.
TenderFoot
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Adding 2nd hdd confuses M8 and M11 [Resolved]

Post by TenderFoot » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:24 am

One of my machines normally has a second hdd. Because of bitter experience with one of my other favorite distros (Mint), I decided to disconnect during the reinstall of all distros.

So now the 2nd hdd is reconnected and neither M8 or M11 will load. They get past the Grub menu but them stall during the splash phase. Would reinstalling Grub from the liveusb solve the problem?

In the case of Mint, I know the problem is due to it insisting (possibly because this data only hdd is sata whilst the boot drive is pata) that this second hdd is sda and the original hdd relagated to sdb?

[Ironically my strategy didn't work for Mint either (more dramatic failure) and a query will be posted there. PCLos and Wins take it in their stride!]

EDIT The short answer is that reinstalling Grub doesn't work - sda/sdb still seemingly confused and now hd0/hd1 are added to the equation when the grahical menu throws me to a text menu that has editable parameters but have tried playing with them before without success!
Last edited by TenderFoot on Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Adding 2nd hdd confuses M8 and M11

Post by lucky9 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:36 pm

The PATA/SATA problem is well known. You might try 'Mapping' the drives. See here for an example at the bottom of the page: http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php? ... oot_System

You might be able to get things straightened out in the BIOS. Depends on the BIOS whether you can.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

TenderFoot
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by TenderFoot » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:07 pm

lucky9 wrote:The PATA/SATA problem is well known..
Well, at that's reassuring - up to a point!

Not entirely sure which link at the bottom you are referring to. This http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php? ... izing_GRUB ?

So the solution is to edit menu.1st (which is how Mint was cured previously). If so it will need to be accessed from elsewhere.

PS Mimt13 is also being inconsistent in its view. When I did a test install it correctly identified the pata as sda and the sata as as sdb. The next time not - which may work ok but would cause problem if the sata drive were removed!]

TenderFoot
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by TenderFoot » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:58 pm

Success - almost!

menu.1st in M11 suitably edited and is now working fine.

Unfortunately M8 not quite. It gets as far as -

Code: Select all

Loading, please wait....
mdadm: No arrays found in config file or automatically
- then grinds to halt for about 5 mins then -

Code: Select all

Gave up waiting for root device.  Common problems:
 :
 :
 :
ALERT! /dev/sda11 does not exist
but sda11 is the correct device

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by lucky9 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:58 pm

Reboot
when you reach the GRUB boot screen
enter: init 3 (or just a 3)
Login as root
enter: apt-get purge mdadm
Reboot

Mepis 8 is well known to not be able to get past the mdadm search. Unless you have a software RAID setup that is. That's what mdadm is searching for.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

TenderFoot
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by TenderFoot » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:35 pm

I understand the objective here but not quite the method.

Do I add init 3 to the beginning, end or remove the other boot options? I've tried all possibilities but still end up at the same place as described above so never reach level 3.

Strange, because it runs fine from liveusb. Perhaps I must bite the bullet and reinstall ... sighhh!

EDIT Oops - that won't work. The M8 installer can't see the pata hdd and nor can gparted.

TenderFoot
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by TenderFoot » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:03 pm

This is so weird and inconsistent.

I decided to do an additional install of M8 to a spare partition (on the pata drive). First ran GParted to examine how it viewed the situation and it generated an error about the kernel being unable to access sdb (pata drive). Dismissed warning then clicked on sdb in drop-down - and everything was visible! Installed M8 to sdb10 without errors. But, of course, on reboot grub can't load M8!

Went back to to original install (as discussed above) and pondered what to try next. At the grub menu, modified the the boot parameters to point at sdb11 rather than sda11 and - it booted fine!

This is strange, as I thought that I'd made identical modifications (except actual part num) to menu.1st as for M11 which had worked....

Further scrutiny of respective menu.1st and finally spot the discrepancy/anomoly
title MEPIS at sdb10, newest kernel
root (hd0,9)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sdb10 nomce quiet splash vga=791
initrd /boot/initrd.img
boot
root seems to point the (correct) first hdd but the kernel points to what would be the second hdd but is actually seen as the first at sytsem level. My original amendments had been hd0,9 + sda10 or hd1,9 + sdb10 neither of which worked but you see my logic?

But in fact, for M11, I made a mistake and modified the title (which has no afffect) and root but not the kernel parameters - hence it worked!

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Adding 2nd hdd confuses M8 and M11 [Resolved]

Post by lucky9 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:27 pm

It might be a good idea to take a look at our wiki. You'd benefit from the exposure. Anyway:

When you are booting GRUB, when you see the choices for booting, hit the Tab key....or just type init 3 (or just a 3 will do it). Hit the Enter key.
Login as root.
Follow the directions for purging mdadm.
Reboot.

There are two different protocols being used in designating hard disks. GRUB uses 0 as the first disk. Linux uses 1 as the first disk.
The root (x.x) is GRUB.
The title xxxxxxx is Linux.
GRUB controls the boot until the Linux in the partition that GRUB is aimed at takes over.

Check the wiki concerning multi-boot. And remember you have some great tools to repair boot problems. IE: Mepis System Assistant
--Mark Twain

Return to “Hardware General”