News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

New Laptop and Linux

If you are having a problem with getting any of your computer's hardware to work with MEPIS or you can't find the right driver, this is the forum to use. It's for newbies and regular users to post questions. Just make sure to post what hardware you are having problems with, in the subject and not just in the post's text area, please.
towwire
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

New Laptop and Linux

Post by towwire » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:18 pm

A friend of mine is looking to buy a laptop and is interested in also booting linux. He knows that I have three computers that run Mepis and he likes it but is into games so needs to run windows. Do not know the brand, but it utilizes Intel’s mobile Haswell processor, which has built-in graphics capability, along with a NVIDIA GeForce video card.

So will any Linux disco be able to use the Intel graphics processor and then switch to the Geforce one when higher graphics power is needed?? Or will Linux have to be setup to only use one of the graphics processors.

Here are the specifications that he gave to me:
i7 4700MQ
Intergrated GeForce GTX 765M 2GB video memory
16 GB DDR3-1600
Intel WiFi/Bluetooth 7260
2 750 GB Western Digital Black 2.5 (7200 RPM) drives

He also ask me about up grading the processor to either i7 4800MQ or i7 4900MQ, I don't know if that would help with his games or be worth the extra cost.

richb
Administrator

Re: New Laptop and Linux

Post by richb » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:28 pm

Mepis will not install with secure boot, UEFI enabled. But most bioses allow turning off secure boot and enabling legacy boot. So dual booting can be accomplished. As far as the graphics, some bioses allow choosing the graphics card, others do not. Mine does not. So I run Linux on the integrated intel card and it runs well, including desktop effects. If I had Windows, which I do not, it would run either card depending on usage.

With Linux an application called Bumblebee can be installed that will use the nVidia card within Linux for the application you designate to use it with. It is invoked with optirun <application name>

Bottom line is to make sure the bios has the switches to turn off secure boot, enable legacy boot, and as a plus, choose which graphics card to use.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 18.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by uncle mark » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:51 pm

towwire wrote:A friend of mine is looking to buy a laptop and is interested in also booting linux. He knows that I have three computers that run Mepis and he likes it but is into games so needs to run windows.
Hardware concerns aside, he really really really needs to avoid W8. Dual booting Linux with W8 will be a royal PITA. Windows 7 is the way to go.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15
Assorted junk: assorted Linuxes

richb
Administrator

Post by richb » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:03 pm

uncle mark wrote:
towwire wrote:A friend of mine is looking to buy a laptop and is interested in also booting linux. He knows that I have three computers that run Mepis and he likes it but is into games so needs to run windows.
Hardware concerns aside, he really really really needs to avoid W8. Dual booting Linux with W8 will be a royal PITA. Windows 7 is the way to go.
I would agree, plus the fact that Win 8 is difficult to navigate coming from a traditional desktop. Actually it is just difficult to navigate, period. IMHO.
Forum Rules

Rich
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by lucky9 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:38 pm

I'd wait for Windows 9. But I thought that 8.1 addressed some of the Desktop usage problems. Plus there are 'fixes' for the no Desktop problem.

Have him buy the processor that he wants to use. Perhaps things have changed, but changing a processor in a Laptop can be hazardous.
If gaming in Windows he won't have to worry about the graphics subsystem.

I'd suspect that he'll need a late kernel to use Linux and especially the onboard Intel graphics (except in vesa mode).
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by uncle mark » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:08 pm

lucky9 wrote:I'd wait for Windows 9. But I thought that 8.1 addressed some of the Desktop usage problems. Plus there are 'fixes' for the no Desktop problem.
It can be. I bought my wife a dirt cheap 8.1 laptop for Christmas, fully expecting to have to use one of the W7 licenses I've been hoarding on it. But she dove in, installed Classic Shell, and beat it into submission from there over the course of several days. While she's never let me even look at it, I'm sure it's working as close to an XP install as is possible or I would have heard about it.

That said, it's still got Secure Boot and presumably a GPT partition table, both of which are a PITA to deal with in a Win/Lin dual, so it's not a candidate. She's not interested in Linux anyway (can't run her antique Word Perfect or her old DOS games and on and on and on...), and is sophisticated enough to be able to manage and maintain her Windows systems herself without my help.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15
Assorted junk: assorted Linuxes

towwire
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by towwire » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:18 pm

richb
Secure boot, UEFI are not enabled by default on this machine, from what I understand you would have to enable it yourself.
He can get the laptop without any OS installed, and I know that he would be using Win 7 Ultimate.

Who ever he is going to order this from lets him choose the processor i7 4700MQ, i7 4800MQ or i7 4900MQ, since I'm not a gamer I can't tell which processor is best and worth the cost. 4800MQ adds $154 and 4900QM adds $393. I don't even know which games he will put on the laptop to carry with him, I would think the graphics would be the issue over the processor.

I just what to help him load Mepis on it, with which ever is the best graphics.

richb
Administrator

Post by richb » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:30 pm

lucky9 wrote:I'd wait for Windows 9. But I thought that 8.1 addressed some of the Desktop usage problems. Plus there are 'fixes' for the no Desktop problem.

Have him buy the processor that he wants to use. Perhaps things have changed, but changing a processor in a Laptop can be hazardous.
If gaming in Windows he won't have to worry about the graphics subsystem.

I'd suspect that he'll need a late kernel to use Linux and especially the onboard Intel graphics (except in vesa mode).
8.1 did not address enough of them. And the fixes are weak. 8.1..1 is supposed to address more of the issues, but initial reviews are not glowing.
Forum Rules

Rich

JimC
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by JimC » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:00 pm

If you go Win 8.x, I'd make sure it comes with an installation disk, as some of the newer computers do not. To complicate things more, many new computers rely on an OEM License key embedded in the BIOS, versus having a license key on a COA Sticker like you got with Win 7 machines.

I bought a refurb Dell recently with Win 8 on it, setup with UEFI (GPT boot disk). I ended up going to an MBR (legacy boot) setup, and reinstalling Win 8 from scratch so that I wouldn't need to deal with UEFI related issues. Fortunately, this one came with a Win 8 install disk and it worked fine with an MBR disk setup. But, some machines don't, and I've heard stories about the recovery disks recreated from the Win installs not working unless they're used with the original UEFI drive setup.

Yea... the free Classic Shell is a good bet if you go with a machine that has Win 8 on it. With the Dell refurb I bought recently, I updated the BIOS Firmware, installed all MS Updates in Win 8, then upgraded it to Win 8.1 and have Classic Shell installed to bypass seeing the new style start screens (booting straight to the desktop), and so I get a traditional style start menu system back again. Get it here:

http://www.classicshell.net/

Return to “Hardware General”