We also have a GUI for configuring it in the test repos called tlpui.
We now have the latest tlp 1.2.2 in the test repo, as well as a newer git pull of tlpui there that is compatible with 1.2.2's new settings.
Please let us know how they install and perform if you give them a try. You may need to reboot before any changes take hold, though. Changes from the 1.1 release:
+++ 1.2.2 --- 04.05.2019 +++
Battery Features, tlp-stat -b:
- Show data for batteries named other than BAT0/BAT1 (non-ThinkPads)
- Issue #395: ThinkPad X1C6 discharge malfunction
- Separate checks for charge thresholds and recalibration
- Intelligible recommendation for tp-smapi on ThinkPad X220/T420 et al.
- Explain "Battery Features: Charge Thresholds and Recalibrate"
- Fix type determination
Operation Mode AC/BAT:
- MacBookPro 5.3: workaround for false AC offline status
Processor, tlp-stat -p:
- Fix read of /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/boost
- x86_energy_perf_policy: detect unsupported CPUs in newer versions
- Issue #404: make RESTORE_DEVICE_STATE_ON_STARTUP=1 persistent again
+++ 1.2.1 --- 18.03.2019 +++
- Issue #391: unknown command "chargeonce"
+++ 1.2 --- 11.03.2019 +++
- Support for NVMe devices
- Support for removable drives e.g. USB / IEE1394 devices
- Improve support for multi queue I/O schedulers (blk-mq)
- tlp bat/ac: keep manual power settings until tlp start (Issue #349)
- Remove all pm-utils scripts (Issue #363)
- tlp/tlp-stat: Temporarily overwrite configuration for one program
invocation only: -- PARAM=value ...
- Document intrinsic defaults in config file (Issue #353)
- Code verified with ShellCheck
- INTEL_GPU_MIN_FREQ_ON_AC/BAT, INTEL_GPU_MAX_FREQ_ON_AC/BAT,
INTEL_GPU_BOOST_FREQ_ON_AC/BAT: Intel GPU frequency limits
- tlp-rdw: new command to disable RDW actions temporarily (until reboot)
- Support ThinkPad Pro Dock CS18 (17ef:306f)
- USB_BLACKLIST_WWAN: disable by default
- Retire compatibility with Network Manager 0.9.8 (Ubuntu 14.04 EOL)
- RUNTIME_PM_BLACKLIST: add mei_me, pcieport
- New native kernel API for battery features "natacpi" (Issue #321);
requires kernel 4.17; enabled by default
- NATACPI_ENABLE, TPACPI_ENABLE, TPSMAPI_ENABLE: make all battery feature
- tlp discharge/recalibrate: exclude multiple simultaneous invocations
- Support ThinkPad 25, *80 (Coffee Lake) and all newer models
- Check systemd-rfkill.socket masked status
- Disks: show all configured devices (consider default)
- Intel GPU: show frequency limits and available frequencies
- Rename "Suggestions" section to "Recommendations"
- Remove invocation via 'tlp stat'
- Exclude scanners managed by libsane from autosuspend
- Remove long deprecated level/autosuspend attributes
- Issue #193: do not try to start NetworkManager (systemd)
- Issue #319: get_disk_dev logic is not compatible with NVMe devices
- Issue #320: AC mode not detected with USB charger
- Issue #331: Process '/usr/bin/tlp auto' failed with exit code 4
- Issue #332: zsh parse error in tlp diskid
- Issue #343, #362, #375: circumvent broken AC/charger detection
- Issue #344: keep ASPM default to enable deeper C-states on AC
- Issue #356: fix writing sequence for start/stop charge thresholds
- Issue #368: recognize Think*p*ad P50
- tlp-stat: filter HWP lines from x86_energy_perf_policy output