News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

MX 14.4 - It just works!!!

Here you can post a testimonial about why you like or love MX. Include as much detail and info as you wish.
Adrian
Developer

Re: MX 14.4 - It just works!!!

Post by Adrian » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:29 am

rover wrote:Adrian ,thank you for your interest .

When i tried to use the MX-15 (32 bit) live cd , it showed the first screen , where you choose between the pae and the non pae cernel , and then , regardlless of the cernel i choose , the screen goes dark and the system never boots to the desktop.

That pc uses an AMD ATHLON LE-1640 and an ATI RS 740 graphics card . I also want to mention that the MX 14.4 installation ,i used eventually , is giving an "update bios " message during shutdown , this may rellevant as well .

I hope this information will be helpfull.

Best Regards
Rover
If you press F6 you have an option to choose "Safe Video" maybe that helps. It's worth a try. I think there are other options that can be tried but for me my graphical card always worked so I don't know exactly what to recommend.

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by lucky9 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:52 am

'safe video' is the first thing to try. The Manual will have some suggestions also. Link is at the top of this page.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

rover
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by rover » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:58 am

Adrian ,lucky9 thank you for your response. Sorry for taking so long to respond .

I have been trying to investigate the safe video mode , as you suggested , using the MX-15 live CD , but it seems that I’m doing something horribly wrong . I have installed MX-14.4 on the hard drive , and dual boot with Windows XP .

So i boot to XP , insert the live CD and then restart .But instead of booting to the live CD , my pc starts grub and then boots to the MX-14 installation ,as if the CD is not there at all. Can you , please ,provide me with a procedure i could follow and boot the live CD , so i can investigate further ?

Thank you in advance for your help .
Best Regards
Rover

kmathern
Developer

Post by kmathern » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:16 pm

rover wrote:Adrian ,lucky9 thank you for your response. Sorry for taking so long to respond .

I have been trying to investigate the safe video mode , as you suggested , using the MX-15 live CD , but it seems that I’m doing something horribly wrong . I have installed MX-14.4 on the hard drive , and dual boot with Windows XP .

So i boot to XP , insert the live CD and then restart .But instead of booting to the live CD , my pc starts grub and then boots to the MX-14 installation ,as if the CD is not there at all. Can you , please ,provide me with a procedure i could follow and boot the live CD , so i can investigate further ?

Thank you in advance for your help .
Best Regards
Rover
Are all those mentions of "CD" typos, or are you actually trying to use a CD?

The official MX-15 release isos don't fit on a CD, you need to use a DVD, though I think Stevo did make a cutdown "core" version that will fit on a CD.

I think the various CD burning programs would throw an error anyway though if you tried to burn the official MX-15 isos to CD.

v3g4n
Developer

Post by v3g4n » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:20 pm

Can you , please ,provide me with a procedure i could follow and boot the live CD , so i can investigate further ?
Check out section 2.4.1 Boot the LiveMedium of the MX Linux Users Manual.

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by lucky9 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:16 pm

Normally it is a 'boot order' problem. Check your BIOS there may be two places that you need to set for the optical drive to boot first.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

rover
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by rover » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:48 pm

@kmathern , you are right , i have not expressed myself correctly . The live disk is a DVD , sorry for any confusion I may have caused .

@v3g4n @lucky9 thank you for responding so quickly . I will look into the manual , investigate further, and get back with any news .

Best Regards
Rover

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by lucky9 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:58 am

rover wrote:

GRUB will always start. It starts in 'Live' mode, it starts from the HDD. Here's a quick-start guide to boot order: http://www.boot-disk.com/boot_priority.htm
--Mark Twain

eemaestro
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by eemaestro » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:04 pm

Welcome to the forum, Rover.

lucky9 is right that you have to have your computer's BIOS set up to first read from the optical drive if it contains a bootable (Live) CD or DVD. One of my greatest aides, he has helped me figure out how to create and to use the so-called Live DVD in linux.

What have you learned so far about linux?

Now that you have it installed, which desktop environment does MX 14.4 use?

I am also running linux, MEPIS 12, an older Debian 7 wheezy derivative, on an x_86_64 architecture linux code that runs on a AMD Athlon CPU-based non-PAE PC running KDE 4.8.4 AKA "KDE Plasma." It is even less stable than MS Windows XP. Nonetheless, I do use it to get work done, provided I commit to rebooting at least half a dozen times a day and remember to save my files often and back them up daily to my hard drive and weekly to external media. And unlike MS Windows, KDE is built on X, the first windowing system for computing devices to offer both hardware independence and vendor independence. I learned to appreciate KDE by using it with MEPIS 3.something and MEPIS 8.

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by lucky9 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:03 pm

I must be lucky as I have always thought of KDE, since 4.1 or 2, as way more stable than Windows XP. Of course part of that is not worrying about virus or malware problems.

It is always a good idea to backup important data no matter the OS. Linux just gives you total control (and responsibility) for it.
--Mark Twain

Return to “Testimonials”