News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Cinelerra gg - Cannot Install/Run certain video editing apps

Artisto
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Cinelerra gg - Cannot Install/Run certain video editing apps

Post by Artisto » Sun May 19, 2019 3:28 pm

Hello Everyone!
I recently installed MX desperately trying to get away from Windows and Mac. I was excited and couldn't wait to get to know this distro. Yesterday, I tried several ways and several times to install and run Cinelerra gg for video editing. The furthest I got was where the application showed in my menu with its apparent icon. When I double clicked on it, nothing would happen. It would not run. I also am experimenting with the new kdenlive version 19 Beta for video editing and so far I'm not impressed with it. Its why I'm looking elsewhere. I tried installing via terminal also and simply couldn't because I get a message saying there is no such package etc...
Can I get some help here? Otherwise I may just go back to another distro very sad this one didn't work out.
My Desktop computer is put together for video editing. GA Z870c MOBO Haswell I-7 ; 9_9 Ripjaws 760 RAM 32GB ; Watercooled SSD Machine.

Fibogacci
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Cinelerra gg - Cannot Install/Run certain video editing apps

Post by Fibogacci » Sun May 19, 2019 4:39 pm

Hello,

try running installed Cinerella this way:

Step 1. Press F4 (default shortcut for terminal)

Step2. Type in terminal:

cin

and press Enter.

Cinnerella should start, if installed correctly (if not, there should be some output, which could help finding solution anyway).

Have you installed Cin as they say on their site? I have installed Cinnerella in my MX 18.2 in that way.
https://www.cinelerra-gg.org/debian-package/

You should follow commands for Debian 9 (MX 18.2 is based on Debian 9 Stretch).

PS. Is it your comment about Cinnerella in MX below video on YouTube 'Why is MX Linux so popular?'
MX-18 Continuum x86_64: laptop Dell Inspiron N7110, Intel Core i5-2410M @ 2.900GHz, 4GB RAM, Kernel: 4.19, DE: Xfce
---
Telegram: @Fibogacci
Telegram group: http://t.me/mxlinuxpopolsku

Artisto
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by Artisto » Sun May 19, 2019 5:54 pm

;) Wow thanks for the quick reply! -Yes I tried opening Cin in terminal that way and it didn't work. I couldn't find anything on which Debian choice to pick from Cinelerra download site. I think I tried all the Debian choices and couldn't get anywhere.. I have MX Version 19. I know MX is based on Debian but didn't know there were variations. I will try again hopefully in the next 24 hours.
Yes, that was my comment online. I commented the same to a few different sites hoping to get a quicker response from someone.

Fibogacci
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Fibogacci » Sun May 19, 2019 6:15 pm

Artisto wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 5:54 pm
;) Wow thanks for the quick reply! -Yes I tried opening Cin in terminal that way and it didn't work. I couldn't find anything on which Debian choice to pick from Cinelerra download site. I think I tried all the Debian choices and couldn't get anywhere.. I have MX Version 19. I know MX is based on Debian but didn't know there were variations. I will try again hopefully in the next 24 hours.
Yes, that was my comment online. I commented the same to a few different sites hoping to get a quicker response from someone.
Actually, there is no yet MX 19 release/version.

MX-17 and MX-18 (and 18.1 and 18.2) are based on Debian 9, so usually what is ok for Debian 9 Stretch should be ok for MX-17 and MX-18.

The current MX release is 18.2 and soon 18.3 will be available.

I answered below your comment on YouTube with commands I had used to install Cin (commands from Cinnerella website) which worked for me.

With your hardware specification editing video should be brilliant experience and if you use MX you have guarantee, that system will be stable.

I often use Shotcut editor. I'm using AppImage with the most current version and it's ok, but you will find it in MX Package Installer as well (in Stable Repo, in MX Test Repo - newer version and in Flatpaks - also newer version, but I don't know which exactly).

AppImage with Shotcut can be downloaded here:
https://shotcut.org/download/

(AppImage is a one file with application/program, which you can run on your system without installing it. Just download and run. I run Kdenlive from AppImage as well - kdenlive-19.04.1-x86_64.appimage)

You can try it as well.

Cinnerella is a great software (that was I read, actually I had not yet time to learn it thoroughly), but definitely it can be installed and run in MX.

So please don't give up to early with Cin and MX, because MX has many more great things, which you can for sure happily use.

What I write is not a commercial, just a happy user opinion ;)

Good luck!
MX-18 Continuum x86_64: laptop Dell Inspiron N7110, Intel Core i5-2410M @ 2.900GHz, 4GB RAM, Kernel: 4.19, DE: Xfce
---

Artisto
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by Artisto » Wed May 29, 2019 8:58 am

Wow, thank you! Yeah for some reason I thought my version was 19, and since this is new to me I don't know where to find the system information.

I looked on you tube, because I don't remember exactly which channel I asked for help and gotton that reply-and I only see one that should be your reply but I didn't see any commands posted in the reply.

So I tried the posted commands for Debian on the Cin-gg.org page. I've had no success. Again though I''m not sure I know what I'm doing though. Should I post my output?

Fibogacci
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Fibogacci » Wed May 29, 2019 1:46 pm

Artisto wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 8:58 am
Wow, thank you! Yeah for some reason I thought my version was 19, and since this is new to me I don't know where to find the system information.

I looked on you tube, because I don't remember exactly which channel I asked for help and gotton that reply-and I only see one that should be your reply but I didn't see any commands posted in the reply.

So I tried the posted commands for Debian on the Cin-gg.org page. I've had no success. Again though I''m not sure I know what I'm doing though. Should I post my output?
Hello,

I've tried installing Cinerella GG today (on Live-USB MX 18.3) and you are right - there is some problem and it cannot be installed just with those commands (as it was possible earlier when I installed it).

But I did some work and it can be installed in MX 18.3 - no problem.

There are two ways of doing it.

Solution number 1.

I've made a short video showing step by step what to do, you will find it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBnavoKrbpA

Solution number 2.

There is even easier way - installing Cinerella GG from .deb file, which can be found here:
https://cinelerra-gg.org/download/pkgs/debian9/

(download .deb file and right click on it and choose Open with GDebi installer or something like that)

In both solutions you must additionally install with Synaptic Package Manager a package called - libva-drm1

It is easy, just a few clicks - you will see it in my short video, if you're not familiar with Synaptic Package Manager (it is in start menu Whisker > System > Synaptic Package Manager).

I've tested this Cinerella GG installation on Live-USB with MX 18.3 and it works.

Good luck and give us some feedback how you managed, hopefully sucessfully ;)
---

Return to “Forum How-to's”