Welcome!

The kernel problem with recent updates has been solved. Find the solution here

Important information
-- Required MX 15/16 Repository Changes
-- Information on torrent hosting changes
-- Information on MX15/16 GPG Keys
-- Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities

News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Zombieload security patched kernels

User avatar
anticapitalista
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 6253
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:40 am

Zombieload security patched kernels

#1

Post by anticapitalista » Sun May 19, 2019 3:21 pm

Latest kernels available in the repos for 32 and 64 bit architecture (stretch, buster, testing and sid).

4.9.176 non-pae, pae and x64
4.19.43 non-pae, pae and x64
5.1.2 non-pae, pae and x64

Users are strongly advised to upgrade.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX-17 "Heather Heyer" - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

User avatar
namida12
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Posts: 1884
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:54 pm

Re: Zombieload security patched kernels

#2

Post by namida12 » Sun May 26, 2019 10:43 pm

Since I believe this is a Intel chip problem, is it needed in an AMD system?

User avatar
dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 11788
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:17 pm

Re: Zombieload security patched kernels

#3

Post by dolphin_oracle » Sun May 26, 2019 11:00 pm

namida12 wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 10:43 pm
Since I believe this is a Intel chip problem, is it needed in an AMD system?
my understanding is no
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-18
lenovo s21e - MX-18, antiX-17.3.1 (live-USB)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

User avatar
namida12
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Posts: 1884
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:54 pm

Re: Zombieload security patched kernels

#4

Post by namida12 » Mon May 27, 2019 10:40 am

dolphin_oracle,

From what I have read, this mediation of the Zombieload problem can be a performance hit on some functions in a Mac operating system performance, and 20-30% in MS windows. I have not seen the performance hit # for Linux, but there must be some o/s slowdown to fix this hardware problem for Intel Processors.

Understand the latest Intel CPUs are not effected by Zombieload (Gen 8 and 9)
https://www.howtogeek.com/415018/only-n ... d-spectre/

JR

User avatar
dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 11788
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:17 pm

Re: Zombieload security patched kernels

#5

Post by dolphin_oracle » Mon May 27, 2019 10:49 am

namida12 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 10:40 am
dolphin_oracle,

From what I have read, this mediation of the Zombieload problem can be a performance hit on some functions in a Mac operating system performance, and 20-30% in MS windows. I have not seen the performance hit # for Linux, but there must be some o/s slowdown to fix this hardware problem for Intel Processors.

Understand the latest Intel CPUs are not effected by Zombieload (Gen 8 and 9)
https://www.howtogeek.com/415018/only-n ... d-spectre/

JR
neither are the original generations of the core architecture. anything before sandy bridge should be ok if I'm reading things correctly.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-18
lenovo s21e - MX-18, antiX-17.3.1 (live-USB)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

User avatar
namida12
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Posts: 1884
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:54 pm

Re: Zombieload security patched kernels

#6

Post by namida12 » Mon May 27, 2019 10:52 am

However a great number of Intel users are not using the latest generation of processors and I believe anticapitalista suggestions are correct, until user upgrade their hardware/computer.

Living in Vegas, I would bet there are other hardware exploitable flaws that are known at the highest levels that have still not been published/disclosed to the general computer users.

JR
Last edited by namida12 on Thu May 30, 2019 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Head_on_a_Stick
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 421
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:37 pm

Re: Zombieload security patched kernels

#7

Post by Head_on_a_Stick » Mon May 27, 2019 11:20 am

namida12 wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 10:43 pm
Since I believe this is a Intel chip problem, is it needed in an AMD system?
Not according to the kernel developers.

From my AMD laptop:

Code: Select all

E485:~$ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/mds
Not affected
E485:~$
:happy:
"Individual appropriation is neither just nor serviceable. All belongs to all." — Peter Kropotkin

User avatar
namida12
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Posts: 1884
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:54 pm

Re: Zombieload security patched kernels

#8

Post by namida12 » Wed May 29, 2019 9:26 pm

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 11:20 am
namida12 wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 10:43 pm
Since I believe this is a Intel chip problem, is it needed in an AMD system?
Not according to the kernel developers.

From my AMD laptop:

Code: Select all

E485:~$ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/mds
Not affected
E485:~$
:happy:
From my AMD Ryzen 5 1500x

Code: Select all

green257@antix2:
$ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/mds
cat: /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/mds: No such file or directory
green257@antix2:
$ ~$ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/mds
bash: ~$: command not found
JR

User avatar
mmikeinsantarosa
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Posts: 2887
Joined: Thu May 01, 2014 10:12 am

Re: Zombieload security patched kernels

#9

Post by mmikeinsantarosa » Wed May 29, 2019 9:46 pm

I put the 5.1.2 on and if my mobile broadband continues to function will stay with it.
System: Host: mx17mainlt Kernel: 5.1.2-antix.1-amd64-smp x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3
Distro: MX-18.3_x64 Continuum March 14 2018
- mike
LT: MX18.2 Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-6820HQ Kernel: 5.0.0-7.1-liquorix-amd64 x86_64

User avatar
anticapitalista
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 6253
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:40 am

Re: Zombieload security patched kernels

#10

Post by anticapitalista » Thu May 30, 2019 4:02 am

mmikeinsantarosa wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 9:46 pm
I put the 5.1.2 on and if my mobile broadband continues to function will stay with it.
System: Host: mx17mainlt Kernel: 5.1.2-antix.1-amd64-smp x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3
Distro: MX-18.3_x64 Continuum March 14 2018
- mike
5.1.5 is now in the repos.

https://www.antixforum.com/5-1-5-kernel-available/
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX-17 "Heather Heyer" - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

Post Reply

Return to “antiX”