News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

How-to convert antiX to an XFCE4 based Distro (tutorial)

Huckleberry
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: How-to convert antiX to an XFCE4 based Distro (tutorial)

Post by Huckleberry » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:56 pm

I meant something like MX's without the need to change the whole DE. The answer is "No" it seems :)
When asking for help, please first : Menu => MX Tools => Quick System Info
Even no need to select & copy. The output will get in the clipboard automatically, just paste.

MX 18.3 - 32bit 5.2.15-antix.1-686-smp-pae

manyroads
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by manyroads » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:25 pm

Huckleberry wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:56 pm
I meant something like MX's without the need to change the whole DE. The answer is "No" it seems :)
Remember xfce (if that's what you want) runs pretty much identically across distros (so long as you use the same version of xfce4). Thus antiX xfce when implemented looks & works almost exactly like MX or xubuntu or manjaro or Gentoo (variations exist in surrounding tools not core xfce features).

Perhaps that is the answer to that which you seek... :bagoverhead:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com
bspwm MX-18.3 kernel: 5.1.11-antix.1-amd64-smp
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Testing: antiX19

Moltke
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Moltke » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:31 pm

Huckleberry wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:31 pm
Excuse me: Is there a simple way in Antix to only change the Menu to something else that includes a "search box" ? (and leave the rest the same)
If by "search box" you mean search for apps, pressing the "home key + space" will bring up one in the taskbar where you can type the name of the app you want to search for/open. Like this

Then you may press enter and it'ill start.
Last edited by Moltke on Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Without each other's help there ain't no hope for us :happy:

skidoo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by skidoo » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:18 pm

Is there a simple way in Antix to only change the Menu to something else that includes a "search box" ? (and leave the rest the same)
Huckleberry wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:56 pm
I meant something like MX's without the need to change the whole DE.
sudo apt install kupfer

It is a finder/launcher that provides a search as-you-type filtering. Here are a couple demonstration videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG4L-hLsoCk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0fYOSve7Ig

manyroads
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by manyroads » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:35 pm

Moltke wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:31 pm
Huckleberry wrote:
Excuse me: Is there a simple way in Antix to only change the Menu to something else that includes a "search box" ? (and leave the rest the same)
If by "search box" you mean search for apps, pressing the "home key + space" will bring up one in the taskbar where you can type the name of the app you want to search for/open. Like this

Rofi & synapse are also wonderful tools. I like using rofi on Tiling Manager Desktops like bspwm, i3, herbstluftwm etc. Synapse & kupfer are great on DE/DMs like openbox, icewm, xfce, gnome etc.

Edit: I should mention those distinctions are my peronal preferences. You can run anyone of them on any Desktop.
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com
bspwm MX-18.3 kernel: 5.1.11-antix.1-amd64-smp
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Testing: antiX19

Moltke
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Moltke » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:28 pm

manyroads wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:35 pm
Moltke wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:31 pm
Huckleberry wrote:

Rofi & synapse are also wonderful tools. I like using rofi on Tiling Manager Desktops like bspwm, i3, herbstluftwm etc. Synapse & kupfer are great on DE/DMs like openbox, icewm, xfce, gnome etc.

Edit: I should mention those distinctions are my peronal preferences. You can run anyone of them on any Desktop.
I like cerebro. It does a good job, not only does a local search but also in the web. It searches for installed programs, local directories. Has auto-complete, it's wondefull, and you don't even have to install it since it's an appimage. Once started you use "Ctrl+space" to call it/hide it. You can install some plugins to extent its capabilities, i.e, it has a stack overflow plugin for searching on that site from cerebro.

Huckleberry
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Huckleberry » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:38 am

Thank you all. I was just wondering since a long time about this. Only something like in the whisker, completing / suggesting with keywords etc. as you type..

(Otherwise, I'm already so happy with MX XFCE :) )
When asking for help, please first : Menu => MX Tools => Quick System Info
Even no need to select & copy. The output will get in the clipboard automatically, just paste.

MX 18.3 - 32bit 5.2.15-antix.1-686-smp-pae

jackdanielsesq
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by jackdanielsesq » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:01 am

Just d/l core - 300MB - like the good ol' days - tiny footprint, good CLI interface - very quick too
It even picked-up my USB LTE-4G modem - which many-a-Debian O/S cannot - kudos to the team

Installed Xorg - aint working - its been a while since I did any xorg work - any ideas, gentlemen? :crossfingers:

Regards

Jack

PS - this will be another KDE rebuild, hopefully small enough to u/l under the 1GB SF limit
Moltke wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:21 pm
I just tried with Antix 17.4.1-base.iso and I thought there would be no desktop whatsoever but I was wrong, so I think it makes no difference whether we use the base or full iso since we'd still have to remove those packages, so maybe a better approach would be to use the Antix-core.iso, which according to what I read most wireless will work.
[/quote]

Moltke
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Moltke » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:58 pm

jackdanielsesq wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:01 am
Just d/l core - 300MB - like the good ol' days - tiny footprint, good CLI interface - very quick too
It even picked-up my USB LTE-4G modem - which many-a-Debian O/S cannot - kudos to the team

Installed Xorg - aint working - its been a while since I did any xorg work - any ideas, gentlemen? :crossfingers:

Regards

Jack

PS - this will be another KDE rebuild, hopefully small enough to u/l under the 1GB SF limit
Moltke wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:21 pm
I just tried with Antix 17.4.1-base.iso and I thought there would be no desktop whatsoever but I was wrong, so I think it makes no difference whether we use the base or full iso since we'd still have to remove those packages, so maybe a better approach would be to use the Antix-core.iso, which according to what I read most wireless will work.
[/quote]

How did you install Xorg? Did you follow instructions from here http://eirenicon.org/2019/05/26/convert ... -tutorial/ ? The idea is to follow manyroad's tutorial but instead of using the full.iso use the core.iso, thus avoiding having to remove all the packages, making the process "easier". I downloaded the core.iso too but haven't done anything yet. Maybe I try later today and report back my findings.

anticapitalista
Developer

Post by anticapitalista » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:02 pm

Have you also installed xserver-xorg-legacy?

Have a look at this thread:

https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic ... tallation/
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX-17 "Heather Heyer" - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

Return to “antiX”