News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Really slow browser

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Re: Really slow browser

Post by JayM » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:25 am

tremara wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:03 am
Thanks to all for your advice I will work my way thru the suggestions....I am reluctant to block content as I mentioned in the original post the laptop is for an elderly friend and he won't know why stuff is not showing ie. Videos......Again thanks I will advise if I have any luck.....
Changing the style to none wasn't meant as a permanent solution, it was only meant for you to test to see if the slow websites loaded faster without their stylesheets being loaded. If that was so it would prove that the issue wasn't with the OS or network manager settings, it's with those websites themselves. It was just a temporary change for troubleshooting purposes, meant to be changed back again as I said.
Please read How To Ask For Help and How to Break Your System.
MX User Manual: hold down ALT and press F1. Further information may be found in the MX Wiki.

tremara
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by tremara » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:14 pm

Hi again...another piece to the puzzle.....connected to ethernet and worked perfectly....so it looks like definitely is something with the wifi interface.....looking for a tool or appropriate terminal commands to do some settings.....thanks

chrispop99
Global Moderator

Post by chrispop99 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:25 pm

Please use the following in a terminal to provide hardware details:

Code: Select all

inxi -F
Chris
Test machines:
32-bit non-PAE - Thinkpad T41, 1.6GHz Pentium M, 1GB RAM.
32-bit PAE - DELL Latitude D610, 1.73GHz Pentium M, 2GB RAM.
64-bit - Lenovo T61, 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM
64-bit - Gigabyte Z77P-D3, Intel i3-3220, GeForce 8400 GS, 4GB PC3-12800.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Post by JayM » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:32 pm

tremara wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:14 pm
Hi again...another piece to the puzzle.....connected to ethernet and worked perfectly....so it looks like definitely is something with the wifi interface.....looking for a tool or appropriate terminal commands to do some settings.....thanks
That's interesting. Another piece to the puzzle, as you said. (Good troubleshooting step, by the way.)

Slower than normal wifi connections could be caused by a number of things. Either the laptop's wifi card or your router, or both, could be connecting with 802.11b rather than the faster 802.11g. If that's due to your router not being capable of 802.11g connections, if the person you're setting the lappy up for has an 802.11g router he'll get a faster connection.

Another possible cause is congestion on the particular wifi channel your router's using, if you have neighbors that are on the same channel and causing interference. I don't know what's available in the antiX repo but MX has Wifi Radar which shows all wifi SSIDs that are in range and whaat channel they're on. You can also get wifi scanners for your smartphone that show the same thing. If your router has a GUI or web interface it may also be able to show this information. If your router's on channel 11 for example, and you see other available wifi connections on the same channel but none on channel 6, try changing your router to channel 6. It could also be due to interference from a wireless mouse or keyboard if you use one or both of those, of someone nearby does.

Bear in mind that the older 802.11 protocols (a, b and g) use a 2.4GHz radio link and operate at half-duplex, meaning that your laptop can either be sending to the router or receiving from it but not both at once, and when web pages with all of their scripts and trackers are loading there will be a lot of back-and-forth traffic so every time a page requests something from your computer the page loading gets paused briefly (802.11n uses a 5GHz full-duplex connection, I believe, so it's faster, but that laptop's wifi card is 802.11bg, not n.) Plus your wifi is operating with a maximum of 11MB bandwidth rather than (probably) 100MB or (possibly) 1GB on ethernet (which is also full-duplex by the way.) So basically wifi is always going to be slower than ethernet by its nature, especially at the older half-duplex protocols.

I suspect the likeliest culprit is channel interference by nearby wifi or other devices that use the 2.4GHz frequency band. You can search the web for "slow wifi" to get some more ideas as to possible causes and solutions, even if they're for Windows: the principals will be the same.
Last edited by JayM on Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
MX User Manual: hold down ALT and press F1. Further information may be found in the MX Wiki.

Stevo
Developer

Post by Stevo » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:37 pm

You can monitor the network's up/down bandwidth in realtime in gkrellm, as I've already mentioned. It would help if you compared what speeds you get with wired vs wireless when going to the same type of sites.

jj1j1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by jj1j1 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:16 pm

So much for nload, or iftop. gkrellm is what I will use now. Thx for that Stevo
True freedom is never asking the question; Am I free?

tremara
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by tremara » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:36 am

I got hold of a monitor 'speedometer 2.8' it shows the thru put wlan0 and I am getting at max 300 or 400 KiB/s (yep KiB/s) but the majority is B/s eg.323 B/s but there is also large gaps where it is 0 b/s....I tried to add a screenshot but could not figure out how to attach a local image....still looking for tweaks.....

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Post by JayM » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:54 am

Did you check for other wifi nodes operating on the same channel as your router?
Last edited by JayM on Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

chrispop99
Global Moderator

Post by chrispop99 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:26 am

Have you compared results by trying in different physical locations? Perhaps at 1 - 2 metres from the router/access point, then gradually moving away.

Chris
Test machines:
32-bit non-PAE - Thinkpad T41, 1.6GHz Pentium M, 1GB RAM.
32-bit PAE - DELL Latitude D610, 1.73GHz Pentium M, 2GB RAM.
64-bit - Lenovo T61, 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM
64-bit - Gigabyte Z77P-D3, Intel i3-3220, GeForce 8400 GS, 4GB PC3-12800.

tremara
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by tremara » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:54 am

Hi again....thanks all for your input so far....JayM my traffic on the channel(6) is quite ok....chrispop99 I am working about 2 metres from the router.....Another quite odd thing I discovered was if I left click the tray icon for wifi I get a small wicd info screen and it states connection speed is 48mb/s????(this is what my connection normally is)...but page loads are still painful at best....again this is in any browser I use.....ok I just did a speedtest(speedtest.net) and the result was 21mb/s down and 3.3mb/s up with a ping of 12 msec......this should be fine but is still painfully slow.....

Return to “antiX”