News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

DistroWatch MX page hit ranking over 7 days is #1

Discussion about the MEPIS Community's Repo.
BitJam
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: DistroWatch MX page hit ranking over 7 days is #1

Post by BitJam » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:54 pm

The page hit rankings (PHR) give us some kind of objective measure of how well we are doing (how popular we are) outside of the bubble of developers, users, and fans of MX. The PHR may not correspond to the number of people using MX. It more likely reflects the amount of interest among a subset of Linux users and watchers. But at least it is an objective measurement of some kind.

It provides a rough answer to the question: How're we doin'? If there were a readily accessible answer out there that is better than PHR then, of course, we should use that instead. But I don't know of one. AFAIK, PHR is the best (accessible) measurement of the relative popularity of Linux distros even if it is very flawed.

For example, a state-wide Regents exam for high school students may not reflect how well each student has mastered the subject but if my students did really well on that exam compared to other students in the state then I would feel proud especially if I wasn't teaching to the test.

As I've mentioned several times before, just a few years ago we were hoping to get into the top 20 PHR. Now both antiX and MX are in the top 20 and MX is #2. That's very impressive! We had set a goal and then met and exceeded that goal. Well done! If we chose to only pay attention to the PHR when we did well then that would make it less meaningful but since we paid attention even when we wallowed in relative obscurity, doing well now is something we should be proud of.
Will I cry when it's all over?
When I die will I see Heaven?

KBD
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by KBD » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:44 pm

I think a couple of years ago no one would have believed MX would be at the top of Distrowatch, beating out Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian, etc. People would have thought you crazy to say that :)
It is amazing how far MX has come. Astounding.

manyroads
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by manyroads » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:10 pm

I may have missed a posting on this, but has anyone tracked download patterns from the various mirrors to see what the download trends looks like? They could provide some insight into when the flood of new users might appear here. ;)
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com - Reg. Linux User #449130
bspwm MX-18.3 kernel: 5.1.11-antix.1-amd64-smp
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

BitJam
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by BitJam » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:11 pm

We just passed elementary to become #3 in the 12 Month window.

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Jerry3904 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:29 pm

manyroads wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:10 pm
I may have missed a posting on this, but has anyone tracked download patterns from the various mirrors to see what the download trends looks like? They could provide some insight into when the flood of new users might appear here. ;)
Not sure what the server-based resources are, and quite dubious about the availability of "anyone" to take up the work.
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.15.0-1-386. MX-17.1, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB
Personal: XPS 13, 4.18.0-19.3-liquorix, 4 GB

Eggnog
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by Eggnog » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:53 pm

MX is only going to climb. All of the recent page hit interest will weigh accordingly as we move along. But it's more than just PHR. MX has moved up because users love it and are talking about it. Reviews are very favorable and I think that's beginning to spill over into antiX, as well, when people discover it's a sister distro. MX is getting some nice accolades, taking top 2018 distro at Dedoimedo and rated one of the top two Debian distros by Don't Call Me Lenny. It rates pretty highly at other places, too. MX is getting noticed. It's getting good play and people are curious. They'll head to Distrowatch or here to the site and forums to see what the fuss is about. If they try it, they may just love it and flip distros, or perhaps recommend it to someone they know. And it certainly helps that his is a very friendly and helpful forum, unlike some others I won't name.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Stevo » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:42 pm

Now just 2 hits behind Manjaro for the 30-day ranking, 3682 versus 3680! Will we reach #1 there tomorrow?

KBD
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by KBD » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:08 pm

Stevo wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:42 pm
Now just 2 hits behind Manjaro for the 30-day ranking, 3682 versus 3680! Will we reach #1 there tomorrow?
That would be cool :)

timkb4cq
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by timkb4cq » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:23 pm

We're already there! 3743 v. 3708.

But remember, fame can be ephemeral. We don't develop MX for the mouse clicks, nice as it is to see them. Some new kid in town will have a good release and we'll drift back in the popularity poll.
We'll just keep putting out an attractive, flexible "It Just Works" distribution - the kind we want to use ourselves - with a friendly helpful forum and we'll be just fine whatever the DW hits are.
MSI 970A-G43 MB, AMD FX-6300 (six core), 16GB RAM, GeForce 730, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB

BitJam
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by BitJam » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:18 pm

Well said Tim!

Return to “CR Discussion”