News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

BIOS update allows Linux install on Lenovo Yoga 900

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board. Just don't post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
BitJam
Developer

BIOS update allows Linux install on Lenovo Yoga 900

Post by BitJam » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:35 am

link
Lenovo created a stir when it said the Yoga 900 and 900S hybrids would work only with Windows, not Linux. The company has now changed its stance, bringing Linux support to those PCs.
A different article claims Microsoft said a propriety SSD RAID mode that only Windows could use made Linux installs impossible. [Sure ...]

I'm glad people are now able to install the OS of their choice on hardware they own. In the meantime, running live from a low-profile usb-3.0 device is an easy alternative.
Will I cry when it's all over?
When I die will I see Heaven?

rokytnji.1
Global Moderator

Re: BIOS update allows Linux install on Lenovo Yoga 900

Post by rokytnji.1 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:07 pm

But I thought redmond was currently linux friendly?

At least, that is the latest propaganda being spewed on the net.

It kinda reminds me of this guy.

Good thing I only use Windows 10 and 7 to tune motorcycles. Not for internet usage.

Because as always. It is always something.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/09/21/len ... x-trouble/

jdmeaux1952
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: BIOS update allows Linux install on Lenovo Yoga 900

Post by jdmeaux1952 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:00 am

We all know the "Big Boys" just want their OS and software to be used. But there are still people who can figure out how to bypass the hardware confines. These people are the heroes of today.

Hack the Planet.
MSI S6000 i5-460M 4Gb mem
I am not CrAzY. And I have a paper from the doctors to prove it!
LRU# 563815
Phear the Penguin

Return to “General”