News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Bad News For Chrome Users

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board. Just don't post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
Adrian
Developer

Re: Bad News For Chrome Users

Post by Adrian » Thu May 30, 2019 8:16 pm

I experimented with Firefox for a number of month now I switched back to Chrome, I cannot say I see any advantage of one over the other they are pretty interchangeable (at least for me) if something like that happens I would switch in a second to Firefox, but till they I will take everything that reports in the future tense with a FUD grain of salt.

At home I do run a PiHole and that's beautiful.

KBD
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by KBD » Thu May 30, 2019 8:51 pm

Not FUD Adrian. And not even new, except their dev is confirming the change won't affect Google Enterprise users at the highest price range of $25 per user per month of G-Suite.

From Ublock Origin Dev:
https://github.com/uBlockOrigin/uBlock- ... -496009417

From several mainstream news sites:
https://www.pcmag.com/news/368700/googl ... d-blockers
https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing ... ne-is-mad/
https://www.cnet.com/news/google-holds- ... -blockers/
https://lifehacker.com/the-best-browser ... 1835130559

richb
Administrator

Post by richb » Thu May 30, 2019 9:25 pm

Since there are other methods like the hosts file this does not concern me. I am a Google Chrome user. I have tried most of the other browser options. Opera comes close to my liking. Not likely to change.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 18.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

figueroa
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by figueroa » Thu May 30, 2019 10:36 pm

So Chrome's position is to "limits the amount of sensitive browser data shared with third parties." That's a very low standard. Don't use it. Claw back control of the Internet by Google, one step at a time.
Andy Figueroa
Using Unix from 1984; GNU/Linux from 1993

Adrian
Developer

Post by Adrian » Thu May 30, 2019 10:44 pm

KBD wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 8:51 pm
Not FUD Adrian.
This is all crap about "future", might or might not happen. My point is, in the moment they disable uBlock I will switch to Firefox, till then for me this is just Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt (FUD) and I don't take actions based on that, I take actions based on facts not on what might or might not happen, so... I don't say this is not correct, but call me back when it happens.

Stevo
Developer

Post by Stevo » Fri May 31, 2019 1:14 am

Will that affect Chromium? If the va-api patch I'm going to try and rebuild it with, plus its current support of mp4 h.264 codecs and the widevine (Netflix) DRM now, it might rival Firefox. I'll certainly watch all video on my laptop on battery in it if I can get the GPU to handle the video instead of the CPU.

KBD
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by KBD » Fri May 31, 2019 1:17 am

Stevo wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 1:14 am
Will that affect Chromium? If the va-api patch I'm going to try and rebuild it with, plus its current support of mp4 h.264 codecs and the widevine (Netflix) DRM now, it might rival Firefox. I'll certainly watch all video on my laptop on battery in it if I can get the GPU to handle the video instead of the CPU.
From what info I have gathered it will affect Chromium, ChromeOS, and ChromiumOS (Cloud Ready). I think Microsoft is going to wish it built its new browser on Firefox before everything is through.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Post by JayM » Fri May 31, 2019 2:16 am

KBD wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 1:17 am
Stevo wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 1:14 am
From what info I have gathered it will affect Chromium, ChromeOS, and ChromiumOS (Cloud Ready). I think Microsoft is going to wish it built its new browser on Firefox before everything is through.
I thought Chromium was open source?
Please read How To Ask For Help and How to Break Your System.
MX User Manual: hold down ALT and press F1. Further information may be found in the MX Wiki.

KBD
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by KBD » Fri May 31, 2019 9:55 am

JayM wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 2:16 am

I thought Chromium was open source?
Here is some info.
https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.or ... %5B1-25%5D
https://github.com/uBlockOrigin/uBlock- ... issues/338

From everything I've read Chromium will have this manifest v3 change. And the browsers that depend upon it. The only way to avoid it appears to be someone forking Chromium. Extensions/adblocks will still be possible as I understand it, but crippled and nearly useless. From UO dev's comments he is not going to cripple his ad-blocker for the new Chrome manifest v3. The change is clearly to allow more Google web ads and tracking to go through.
Edit: to give an idea how effective Ublock Origin is, on an install just a few months old over 37,000 web requests were blocked on Chrome on my computer.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Post by JayM » Fri May 31, 2019 10:58 am

I was going to say there's nothing to stop anyone from rolling back Google's Chromium source code changes or forking the Chromium project.
Please read How To Ask For Help and How to Break Your System.
MX User Manual: hold down ALT and press F1. Further information may be found in the MX Wiki.

Return to “General”