News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

NSA urging Windows users to update

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board. Just don't post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
handy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: NSA urging Windows users to update

Post by handy » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:26 am

I posted a link in another thread that basically said that, that wasn't necessarily an accident; that instead it was some U.S., government department testing their internet off switch (much more detail provided in the link).

I have no idea if that is the truth or not?

I do have an open mind though, & I'm not a conspiracy nut - I do, do research & go hmm?

Just saying... ;)
Clevo N'book (2014): P150SM-A
CPU: i7-4810MQ (Haswell) Speed: 2800/3800 MHz
RAM: 16 GiB 1600 MHz DDR3
GPU-1: i915
GPU-2: NVIDIA GK104M [GeForce GTX 880M] vRAM: 8GB 2500 Mhz DDR5
Storage: TOSHIBA 931.51 GiB. HGST 931.51 GiB. Crucial 223.57 GiB (M.2 SSD)

AK-47
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by AK-47 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:58 am

Eadwine Rose wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:24 am
Really? Well.. that WAS 4-5 years ago.. back in the day I didn't want to touch Win10 with a 10 foot pole *giggle*
I come from the land of Windows, and "4-5 years ago" means "about half an hour ago" over there. :happy:
Eadwine Rose wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:24 am
I found the installation with the USB a week ago a breeze, and I had to do it twice ;) I did shove Cortana out the door. No need for that thing :rolleyes:
Oh I'm sure the installer is fine in terms of actually installing the OS, it was just intrusive and condescending, always shoving the Microsoft account thing in my face and finally having the option of giving me a normal, ordinary, proper user account in the form of a tiny link.

I recall that after all that nonsense it gives me retarded messages such as "Installing your apps...", "We're taking care of things...", and some ":-)" smileys. I'm installing an OS, not going on MSN. Going on MSN is what I would have done after I installed the OS had it not been shut down. The EULA is concerning enough, and I'm not all keen on paying to be treated like a moron. :mad:

I also noticed some "Advertising ID" built probably into the new Windows API (Metro? Win32?) which is just ridiculous.
MX Linux 18.3 - Panasonic CF-30 - 3GB RAM - 160GB HDD - Core 2 Duo

KBD
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by KBD » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:10 am

handy wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:26 am
I posted a link in another thread that basically said that, that wasn't necessarily an accident; that instead it was some U.S., government department testing their internet off switch (much more detail provided in the link).

I have no idea if that is the truth or not?

I do have an open mind though, & I'm not a conspiracy nut - I do, do research & go hmm?

Just saying... ;)
I would be very surprised if the NSA lacked the power to shut down the Internet. We've seen other countries do it, so no doubt there is a kill switch somewhere.
Though I would not want to credit the government in cases where mere ineptitude on the part of Google, or other cloud providers, are more than sufficient to explain such outages. But who knows, it could have been a test, and Google isn't terribly loved by the government right now.

handy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by handy » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:47 am

Ineptitude of G**gle?

At that level?
Clevo N'book (2014): P150SM-A
CPU: i7-4810MQ (Haswell) Speed: 2800/3800 MHz
RAM: 16 GiB 1600 MHz DDR3
GPU-1: i915
GPU-2: NVIDIA GK104M [GeForce GTX 880M] vRAM: 8GB 2500 Mhz DDR5
Storage: TOSHIBA 931.51 GiB. HGST 931.51 GiB. Crucial 223.57 GiB (M.2 SSD)

KBD
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by KBD » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:45 pm

handy wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:47 am
Ineptitude of G**gle?

At that level?
Hanlon's razor:
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon%27s_razor