News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Preparing dell Inspiron 7486 14 Chromebook for alternate OS

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board. Just don't post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
jj1j1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Preparing dell Inspiron 7486 14 Chromebook for alternate OS

Post by jj1j1 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:59 pm

The Dell Inspiron 7486 14 2-in 1 is a newer Chromebook that has some respectable specs. I want to remove Chrome, and install Linux, but I'm uncertain if its in the list of supported devices that can be configured to accept a Linux install. I hoping for some input that will help me make this conversion happen. A good review of the Chromebook is here.
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-Insp ... 516.0.html
Last edited by jj1j1 on Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
True freedom is never asking the question; I am I free?

JayM
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: Preparing dell Inspiron 14 Chromebook for alternate OS

Post by JayM » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:24 pm

Search the forum and you'll find step-by-step instructions and tons of tips.
Please read How To Ask For Help and How to Break Your System.
MX User Manual: hold down ALT and press F1. Further information may be found in the MX Wiki.

KBD
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: Preparing dell Inspiron 14 Chromebook for alternate OS

Post by KBD » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:17 pm

Will be interested to see how this works out for you. I currently have 2 converted Chromebooks and it is nice having full Linux installs on them. I may be somewhat limited in aiding you because your Chromebook is much newer than mine, but will help where I can. Having intel hardware on that machine is a big plus.

jj1j1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Preparing dell Inspiron 7486 14 2-in-1 Chromebook for alternate OS

Post by jj1j1 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:10 pm

I guess as a first thought in attempting this I should consider worst case scenario, which leads me to this site. https://wiki.mrchromebox.tech/Unbricking . With that in mind I am choosing Gallium as Linux distro. https://galliumos.org/ . It's made especially for Chromebooks, and seems an appropriate choice. A few sites that show feasibility of OS: For specific models, https://wiki.galliumos.org/Hardware_Compatibility . For specific architectures, https://wiki.galliumos.org/Firmware . The Inspiron 7486 14 has Kaby Lake architecture, and support for this is not up to par yet, (I'm told there are still sound issues,) but legacy firmware is available. :rock:

KBD
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by KBD » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:22 pm

Gallium always seemed a little buggy to me, but might be good to start with as all your keys should work just like they did on ChromeOS--brightness, volume, etc.
But once you get the new firmware on it you can run any Linux you want. I don't remember if that model will install legacy bios, but if it is the efi bios here is some info about setting it up for that:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/743095/ ... for-ubuntu
Good luck and keep us posted.

jj1j1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by jj1j1 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:23 pm

I emailed mrchromebox about what I wanted to do. This is some of what he said.
I currently offer RW_LEGACY firmware for it (see my supported devices page) which allows you to boot whatever distro you want. I do plan on offering UEFI Full ROM firmware for it as part of my next release, but that won't change anything compatability wise (other than fixing sleep/resume). Audio is still unlikely to work without major effort. BTW, I have this device myself so it's well tested...I'm on the GalliumOS team. There's little improved compatibility with it outside of the top row keys working out of the box. The stock firmware has some serious issues running Legacy Boot Mode, and while my UEFI firmware mitigates that, upstream support for the audio in newer Chromebooks is nonexistent. We don't have audio or anything working either.
So while it sounds promising it's also a little disappointing there's no sound. Also, I'm not sure what "or anything", referred to yet.
Last edited by jj1j1 on Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

KBD
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by KBD » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:29 pm

jj1j1 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:23 pm
I emailed mrchromebox about what I wanted to do. This is some of what he said.
I currently offer RW_LEGACY firmware for it (see my supported devices page) which allows you to boot whatever distro you want. I do plan on offering UEFI Full ROM firmware for it as part of my next release, but that won't change anything compatability wise (other than fixing sleep/resume). Audio is still unlikely to work without major effort. BTW, I have this device myself so it's well tested...I'm on the GalliumOS team. There's little improved compatibility with it outside of the top row keys working out of the box. The stock firmware has some serious issues running Legacy Boot Mode, and while my UEFI firmware mitigates that, upstream support for the audio in newer Chromebooks is nonexistent. We don't have audio or anything working either.
So while it sounds promising it's also a little disappointing there's no sound.
If it were me, I'd give him more time to work out the bugs. Your machine may be a bit too new for a good experience doing this. But it does sound like he is focused on getting it to work, maybe just too soon to do it now.

jj1j1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by jj1j1 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:38 pm

Agreed. I waiting for the UEFI firmware. Maybe they will have other stuff sorted out by then too. Until then I'll just kick back and chill . :fishing:

Return to “General”