News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

First Post - Debian Base Version Question

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board. Just don't post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
fudgel
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

First Post - Debian Base Version Question

Post by fudgel » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:47 pm

Hello, first post, and wouldn't you know, I wasn't sure where to post this question. Sorry if it is in the wrong section.

I've been using MX Linux on VirtualBox for a bit, and really like it. I've been using Linux Mint full time since 2015, and am seriously considering switching over to MX Linux.

However, I really don't like doing a fresh install because my computer is my work machine, and I just don't like taking chances that I might mess up somehow. So, that brings me to my question. When the Debian base switches over to the 10 series sometime this year, will MX Linux need to be re-installed, or will the new base be an "update".

If it will mean a fresh install, I'll just wait until MX is based on the new Debian 10 before I make the switch. If it is just an update, I'd like to switch over sooner.

I ask this question because I really can't seem to figure out whether MX Linux is a rolling release with updates like Manjaro, or needs to be re-installed when there is a new base like Mint.

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: First Post - Debian Base Version Question

Post by Jerry3904 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:51 pm

It's like Mint, and will need to be reinstalled--especially on a work machine. That's what I will be doing with my production rig, though I may stay with MX-18.3 for a certain period to let anything shake out that needs to on MX-19.
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.15.0-1-386. MX-17.1, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB
Personal: XPS 13, 4.18.0-19.3-liquorix, 4 GB

seaken64
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by seaken64 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:44 pm

I can understand the hesitance to update your main work machine. I decided to use a separate physical hard disk and only after I got it all verified as stable do I move to the new system. Hard disks are fairly inexpensive when compared to losing my work. And I keep my work data on a server share that I can access from any of my machines.

Seaken64
MX-18 on Thinkpad R61i Core2 Laptop. MX-18 on HP Core2 Desktop
MX-18-64/MX-18-32/antiX-17-32 Frugal on Gateway Core2 Laptop
antiX-17 on Compaq PIII 1000 Mhz Desktop, Multi-boot Slackware, Debian, MX, W2K
antiX-17/16 on Dell PIII 450 Mhz Laptop

fudgel
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by fudgel » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:33 pm

OK, thanks for the replies.

I think I'll wait until MX-19 is out and has had a little time. That way I'll have maximum time to end of life for that release.

I like the idea of keeping the old SSD with everything intact, and a new SSD for the new install.

And yes, I have multiple backups of all data both in-hand, and off-site.

Thanks again for your help.

Return to “General”