News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Inkjet paper which can cope with high air humidity: Recommendations?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board. Just don't post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
MX-16_fan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Inkjet paper which can cope with high air humidity: Recommendations?

Post by MX-16_fan » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:54 pm

@all:

A colleague of mine has been relocated to Asia, where air humidty is pretty high. The air conditioning system in his company frequently fails due to power outages.

Now his problem is that he has to print quite a few reports and invoices every day, which is difficult, as his printing paper has a tendency of becoming too soft and too flexible – his printer doesn't like that.

So he asked me if I know any higher-quality inkjet-capable business printing paper that is less sensitive when it comes to high air humidity.

I couldn't really help him, so I am forwarding this interesting question to the MX Linux community.

Any hint will be appreciated :happy:.

Greetings, and a nice weekend to all of you, Joe

CrackMeUp
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Re: Inkjet paper which can cope with high air humidity: Recommendations?

Post by CrackMeUp » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:48 pm

There is really NO paper-type to adequately address high humidity levels in inkjet or laser printer-environments ... the only recourse one has is in the storage of the paper itself ... a dehumidifier where it's stored or being printed is the only option ... roughly between 45-55%. BTW, air conditioning doesn't decrease humidity levels ...

Richard

Post by Richard » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:02 pm

@CrackMeUp,
Came across this which helps clarify why you say that AC may not be sufficient.
They also recommend dehumidifier as much more efficient:
https://www.google.com/url?q=https://ww ... C1TkBP4Gjp
LT: MX18.3: Thinkpad T430: DualCore, Intel i5-3320M, Ivy Bridge; 8GB RAM; 4.19.0-5-amd64; 119GB SSD 840PRO, Intel Graphics-Audio-Network

NB: antiX19b2full-xfce; MX18.3: AsusTek EeePC 1005HA: Intel DualCore Atom N270, 1GB RAM, 4.19.0-5-686, 150GB HDD

MX-16_fan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by MX-16_fan » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:59 am

@CrackMeUp,
@Richard:

As far as I understand the problem, due to occasional power outages there is no way he could rely on an air dehumidifier, so the solution has to be found in the paper, not in the surrounding circumstances.

Greetings, Joe

towwire
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by towwire » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:29 pm

MX-16_fan wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:59 am
@CrackMeUp,
@Richard:

As far as I understand the problem, due to occasional power outages there is no way he could rely on an air dehumidifier, so the solution has to be found in the paper, not in the surrounding circumstances.

Greetings, Joe
I do not think you will find any paper that does not absord humidity unless it has a coating on it. Then it amounts to the cost of using it for lots of reports etc.

My thought would be some sort of a container where the paper is keep dehumidified till it is used. Think of a freezer that needs to keep everything frozen until the power comes back on. Since you can not print without power.

Look at the cost to use HP Everyday Photo Paper @ 16.99 for 50 sheets of 8 1/2 x 11", unless you find it on sale. That's the retail price @ 'Office Depot/OfficeMax here in the US.

If you do find any paper that works, please let others know.
Normal people think "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Engineers think "If it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet".

MX-16_fan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by MX-16_fan » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:51 pm

@towwire:
towwire wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:29 pm
(...) If you do find any paper that works, please let others know.
I've seen normal business paper qualities which were fairly rough in surface, and, on the other hand, normal business paper that had an almost plastic-like smooth finish.

There seems to be a large scale of quality differences in paper. Just think of cheap paperback books that are extremely sensitive when it comes to drops of water, and more expensive books that are printed on robust types of paper.

Maybe we just need to know the correct technical term in order to find some suitable paper via a search engine?

Greetings, Joe

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Post by JayM » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:52 am

My advise would be for your friend to talk to someone at a local office supply store about the best locally-sourced paper available at that location.
Please read How To Ask For Help and How to Break Your System.
MX User Manual: hold down ALT and press F1. Further information may be found in the MX Wiki.

j2mcgreg
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by j2mcgreg » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:51 pm

How about a work around? Your friend could purchase a resealable plastic tub large enough to hold a couple of reams of paper and then add a few of these desiccant packs

https://www.amazon.ca/Dry-Packs-Silica- ... B003DKQB02

to control / cancel out the ambient humidity.
HP ProBook 450 G5; CPU Intel i5; 500GB HDD; Intel UHD 620 Graphics; 8 GB Ram

Richard

Post by Richard » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:58 pm

@j2mcgreg,
I agree with the desiccant idea and container.
Take out for each use, or a few at a time.
Depends on the work flow.
LT: MX18.3: Thinkpad T430: DualCore, Intel i5-3320M, Ivy Bridge; 8GB RAM; 4.19.0-5-amd64; 119GB SSD 840PRO, Intel Graphics-Audio-Network

NB: antiX19b2full-xfce; MX18.3: AsusTek EeePC 1005HA: Intel DualCore Atom N270, 1GB RAM, 4.19.0-5-686, 150GB HDD

MX-16_fan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by MX-16_fan » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:09 am

@JayM:
JayM wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:52 am
My advise would be for your friend to talk to someone at a local office supply store about the best locally-sourced paper available at that location.
Good idea, but apparently he's already done that, to no avail. Greetings, Joe

Return to “General”