News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

SOLVED Are there any bible memory apps for Linux?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board. Just don't post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
duane
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Are there any bible memory apps for Linux?

Post by duane » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:04 am

I had some extra time today and got around to installing BibleMemorizer.
I see what you mean about the cursor being a little ahead of where it belongs.

This will do the job for me.
I don't want to mess around with anything online either.
If they ever get around to making a Linux version of eSword that would be an idea.
It has been a long time though and the developer does not seem to want to budge.

Thanks again for everything folks.
Lenovo M92p Quad Core i5 3470 3.2Ghz

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Post by JayM » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:16 am

Can you edit you original post (use the pencil icon next to it in the upper right, near your avatar) and add [SOLVED] to the title? thanks!
Please read How To Ask For Help and How to Break Your System.
MX User Manual: hold down ALT and press F1. Further information may be found in the MX Wiki.

Kreative
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by Kreative » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:02 am

There is brother:
https://www.linuxlinks.com/biblesoftware/
https://www.crosswire.org/applications/

We are living near the End-Times... Revelation 13:16-18, 14:9-11 (Some Countries Are Already Cashless!)
My advice, get rid of everything Microsoft, Apple, Google, Social Media and Smart-Devices

JeffA
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by JeffA » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:07 am

duane wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:04 am
I see what you mean about the cursor being a little ahead of where it belongs.
I seem to have helped it quite a bit by changing the default font under MX to Noto Sans 10.95 (MX Tools>Setup/Tweak>Xfce Settings>Appearance>Fonts), at least most of the time I can tell where the cursor is if I need to go back and edit, and it hasn't seemed to negatively affect the appearance of MX.

I wish I could find a way to change the fonts or something in BibleMemorizer to work correctly.
duane wrote:
This will do the job for me.
:happy:

I've considered asking people like the developer of Bible Analyzer if he would be interested in developing an app like BibleMemorizer as he does have a Linux version of BA.

JayM wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:16 am
Can you edit you original post (use the pencil icon next to it in the upper right, near your avatar) and add [SOLVED] to the title? thanks!
Hi Jay,

I'm not the OP, but I'm wondering that as this is more of a question under chat, rather than a problem under a help forum; and while BibleMemorizer is adequate for now, but not actively developed and could use improvement, and isn't available from the repos; if it's necessary to mark it solved? I like to hear it if any one else comes up with any other ideas or solutions.

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Post by JayM » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:42 am

That's the OP's decision as it's his topic and only he can edit his top post (well, so can the moderators.) If he's satisfied with the solution he was given and wants to mark the thread solved, he may. :smile:
MX User Manual: hold down ALT and press F1. Further information may be found in the MX Wiki.

JeffA
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by JeffA » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:12 am

Sounds fair Jay, I'm not always up on the best forum etiquette.

Just another note; I've also installed the Windows version of BibleMemorizer under Wine, it works until I attempt to change preferences to select which punctuation and spelling errors it considers mistakes, then it crashes. I haven't found any other Windows memory programs that work under Wine either, other than possibly e-Sword.

duane
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by duane » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:36 pm

I will mark it solved now. I wanted to see if anyone else had something to add to the discussion.
Lenovo M92p Quad Core i5 3470 3.2Ghz

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Re: SOLVED Are there any bible memory apps for Linux?

Post by JayM » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:22 am

People can still reply and add information. Marking it solved doesn't lock the topic, it just indicates that the original poster has found a solution that he's satisfied with.

paul1149
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by paul1149 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:30 am

duane wrote:
If they ever get around to making a Linux version of eSword that would be an idea.
I'm not sure what a Bible memorization program is. But if you're looking for a full-featured Bible program, theWord runs very well on WINE.
MX-17.1 x64, on C2D, 6GB RAM, SSD.

JeffA
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Re: SOLVED Are there any bible memory apps for Linux?

Post by JeffA » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:18 pm

If you don't mind using Wine, I did get Scripture Memory System for Windows to install and it seems to be working fine, including the computer voice that reads the verses.

http://www.memoryverses.org/

Download: http://www.memoryverses.org/smsw.html

I know I had tried to install it in the past, but I was new to Linux and Wine, and that may have been before I switched to MX, if that makes a difference. Anyway it seems to work now.

Development seems to have ceased on it ages ago also.

Return to “General”