News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

M11 -- dropping a signature into a pdf

This forum is intended for the discussion around the use of MEPIS in an office setting as distinct from home or indivicual usage. Examples include mail merge, database construction, hardware sharing, advertising, etc..
uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

M11 -- dropping a signature into a pdf

Post by uncle mark » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:32 pm

Mom went into the nursing home last fall and I'm in the process of selling her home. I'm all the time being sent pdf documents I need to sign and send back, and it's a PITA.

Be advised I have my dunce cap firmly in place; all I need to know is how to drop a jpg of my signature into a blank space on a pdf and save it. I'm sure it's a layer thing, and I've been fighting GIMP all afternoon, but I had to give up and go back to print/sign/scan/send to get the realtor off my back.

Also be advised that I'm an idiot when it comes to this stuff. I'm lucky to be able to crop a photo.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15
Assorted junk: assorted Linuxes

timkb4cq
Developer

Re: M11 -- dropping a signature into a pdf

Post by timkb4cq » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:20 pm

That's one reason why I kept Paint Shop Pro around for so long - it made this very easy.

In GIMP, first make sure your sig is black & white. Use the Colors ->Threshhold command to get it perfect.
Next, Use Colors -> Color to Alpha command to make your background transparent. This is a good time to save your signature as a GIMP .xcf file for later use.

Now import your pdf (you may want to tweak the import resolution to 200 or 300 pixels/inch - the quality of the 100 p/i default is not great), copy your signature & Edit -> Paste as -> New Layer into the imported pdf.
MSI 970A-G43 MB, AMD FX-6300 (six core), 16GB RAM, GeForce 730, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB

Malanrich
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Malanrich » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:59 pm

To divert a bit from the technology involved, how is it possible that a jpeg of a signature imposed on a pdf is legally binding??

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by joany » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:15 pm

Malanrich wrote:To divert a bit from the technology involved, how is it possible that a jpeg of a signature imposed on a pdf is legally binding??
I suppose it's as "legally binding" as a Xerox copy of a signed document, or a faxed document. For really important legal documents, like mortgage notes, an "original" is required. But for most things, a facsimile signature would suffice. My payroll checks all had facsimile signatures and I had no problem cashing them at the bank.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

Malanrich
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Malanrich » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:20 pm

Yes, Joany. But my understanding is that pdf technology is different in that an imposed jpg can be excavated out of the original pdf (in the sense that its superimposition can be detected, therefore "technically" invalidating the document). I'm only sayin' this after spending the better part of ten years "taking care" of the business documents of ailing and deceased parents.

timkb4cq
Developer

Post by timkb4cq » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:23 pm

Well, the GIMP treats pdfs as bitmaps when it flattens the layers back to export to pdf so excavating isn't all that easy - although they may find artifacts. But any place that will accept the signature on document faxed to them won't have any trouble with a signature image bitmapped onto a pdf image file.

What really matters is intent. If there's no intent to defraud, and the "signatory" has agreed to have the signature placed on the document then it is binding. Otherwise robosigned & printed signatures used routinely for business purposes wouldn't be accepted - and they are.

I used this method a lot back in the dial-up days of the net when I had a partner who was in Thailand for a while. Afix signature, print out document & mail, or export to pdf & email.
MSI 970A-G43 MB, AMD FX-6300 (six core), 16GB RAM, GeForce 730, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by uncle mark » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:30 pm

timkb4cq wrote: Next, Use Colors -> Color to Alpha command to make your background transparent.
<dunce>
Can't find this.
GIMP 2.6.10
</dunce>

timkb4cq
Developer

Post by timkb4cq » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:36 pm

I was using 2.8.10 - let me boot into M11 and look...

OK, I'm in M11 using GIMP 2.6.12 and under the Colors menu, Color to Alpha is 5th from the bottom, unless you have the gimp-plugin-registry installed, in which case it's the second entry in the fifth section - or 10th from the bottom.

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by uncle mark » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:59 pm

timkb4cq wrote:I was using 2.8.10 - let me boot into M11 and look...

OK, I'm in M11 using GIMP 2.6.12 and under the Colors menu, Color to Alpha is 5th from the bottom, unless you have the gimp-plugin-registry installed, in which case it's the second entry in the fifth section - or 10th from the bottom.
Greyed out. Does it matter that I'm using a jpg of my signature?

Did the Color> Threshold thing already.

I did find Layer> Transparency> with several choices.

BitJam
Developer

Post by BitJam » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:01 pm

Malanrich wrote:To divert a bit from the technology involved, how is it possible that a jpeg of a signature imposed on a pdf is legally binding??
I imagine they want a fax or hardcopy sent back, not a pdf.

Return to “Office”