Page 1 of 3

Adobe releases more secure flashplayer-plugin 10.1

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:14 am
by Stevo
but pulls the 64-bit version.

If you have the stock flashplugin-nonfree package in Mepis 8.5-32 bit, it comes with an easy script to upgrade in the terminal:

Code: Select all

su -c 'update-flashplugin-nonfree --install' 
This script will download the latest version of the plugin tarball, check the md5sum, extract the .so library file and install over the older one.

Mepis 8.0 user's version will not work, though possibly installing the Mepis 8.5 2.8 deb version will allow them to perform the update:

http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/ftp. ... n-nonfree/

Restart any browsers to let them load the new plugin.

Adobe pulled the 64-bit version, users should install enable the debian-multimedia repository and install "flashplayer-mozilla".

Since the stock plugin in Mepis has critical security flaws, everyone should perform this. Perhaps Warren should update the ISOs to include the new plugin, too.

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:37 am
by mahmood arbab
This is the result of following the given command in post #1 above. It seem .tar.gz package is saved. Do I need to install the saved package manually?
Thanks!

4450K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 96% 364K 0s
4500K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 97% 364K 0s
4550K .......... .......... .......... .......... .......... 98% 375K 0s
4600K .......... .......... .......... .......... ......... 100% 373K=13s

2010-06-13 08:32:49 (368 KB/s) - `./install_flash_player_10_linux.tar.gz' saved [4760657/4760657]

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:14 am
by Stevo
No, it also installs it, though you will have to start your browsers to use it.

Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:22 am
by sanlav
Good tip !
I encountered sited who complained: "You don't have Fashplayer 10 installed. Please update".

Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:24 pm
by chatan
Stevo wrote:but pulls the 64-bit version.

If you have the stock flashplugin-nonfree package in Mepis 8.5, it comes with an easy script to upgrade in the terminal:

su -c 'update-flashplugin-nonfree --install'
So, Should this work on 64-bit?

On MEPIS 8.5 I ran the command and restarted browsers, but I still get 10.0.45.2 from the test site: http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:38 am
by Stevo
Mepis 64 bit comes with a 32-bit flash plugin, I will have to test on my 64-bit install.
chatan wrote:So, Should this work on 64-bit?

On MEPIS 8.5 I ran the command and restarted browsers, but I still get 10.0.45.2 from the test site: http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:05 am
by Adrian
Stevo wrote:Mepis 64 bit comes with a 32-bit flash plugin, I will have to test on my 64-bit install.
Actually MEPIS 64 bit comes with 64 bit flash as far as I know, the problem is that Adobe didn't upgrade that.

Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:16 am
by Stevo
Adrian wrote:Actually MEPIS 64 bit comes with 64 bit flash as far as I know, the problem is that Adobe didn't upgrade that.
I was thinking that the 64 bit was only ever present in a beta form, never in a stable release....

Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:12 am
by Adrian
Stevo wrote:I was thinking that the 64 bit was only ever present in a beta form, never in a stable release....
Actually I think it was called "Alpha" but it worked pretty well, and again I think it was installed by default in MEPIS 64 bit (can't check right now).

Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:13 pm
by uncle mark
Stevo wrote:
Mepis 8.0 user's version will not work, though possibly installing the Mepis 8.5 2.8 deb version will allow them to perform the update:

http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/ftp. ... n-nonfree/
Can anyone confirm the above?

M8.0 is my main platform, and I'd rather not screw around and mess something up. I've fought with Flash in the past.

Otherwise, shouldn't we expect an update from the repos from Warren?