News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Does anybody use virtual machines for ALL their browsing and email?

gbhollr
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Does anybody use virtual machines for ALL their browsing and email?

Post by gbhollr » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:04 pm

I am in the middle of setting up my old computer with a fresh new install of Windows (with plans to install Linux later to make it a dual-boot machine) but with the idea that I would strictly do all my browsing, email and other online activity only on a virtual machine.

MX Linux seems to provide the tools I need for this kind of set up.
I made a "main" MX Linux virtual machine which I set up with all the apps I need for my browsing, email, etc. but I never actually use them.
Then I regularly create a snapshot of the OS so I can create a new temporary VM with it as a Live Disk for every online session.

This way, in theory, I could browse much more safely from any possible virus attacks, I'd be much harder to track online (as in trackers possibly won't get to my host machine) and any supercookies installed will be deleted since I won't be using a virtual hard drive with it. Any files I download will be saved to a USB stick.

So I wonder if anybody else has had the same idea with how they use virtual machines.

gimcrack
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Re: Does anybody use virtual machines for ALL their browsing and email?

Post by gimcrack » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:45 pm

I use Virtualbox to test out Linux distro's only. Right now testing out Pop! OS.

MX is on my main machine and using MX as my primary OS. I'm not fear of nothing, because I'm using Linux.

sunrat
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by sunrat » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:14 pm

Certainly not, way too much tinfoil hat for me.
If your system is connected to the internet via a router, it probably uses NAT so is fairly hidden. A virtual machine will usually connect to your host via NAT as well so is hidden from the hidden.
I only use VMs to run and/or test other OSs.

v3g4n
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by v3g4n » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:42 pm

Certainly not the first to think of this, there are even projects specifically for this kind of thing. Most notable is Whonix https://www.whonix.org/. The other would be Qubes OS https://www.qubes-os.org/, but this one is a Xen hypervisor that runs many different VM's inside on one called dom0.

gbhollr
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by gbhollr » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:33 pm

v3g4n wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:42 pm
Certainly not the first to think of this, there are even projects specifically for this kind of thing. Most notable is Whonix https://www.whonix.org/. The other would be Qubes OS https://www.qubes-os.org/, but this one is a Xen hypervisor that runs many different VM's inside on one called dom0.
Yeah, I know about them.
I even tried to install Qubes OS in my computer but it wasn't cut out for it.
Also, I'm staying clear away from anything with systemd which both Qubes OS and Whonix still have - drat!

bobbee
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by bobbee » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:18 pm

I do use a VM for much of my browsing, I do so behind a VPN

Because I value my privacy.

I do not use it for email as that requires passwords and could be tracked. So I do not use it any place where i log in, here either..

I have thought about setting up my own email server behind a separate vpn as my internet porvider blocks those ports but my vpn does not. A vm could be useful for that.

I mostly have not done so because I don't know how and time investment to learn is quite a bit.

I used to use VB but I prefer Virt-manager so I now use that.

Return to “Chat”