News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

What was your first Linux distro?

gbhollr
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

What was your first Linux distro?

Post by gbhollr » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:52 pm

I'm interested to hear about people's first experience with Linux.

What was your first distro? Why did you decide to try Linux? Why start with this distro in particular?
When did you start off? How knowledgeable of Linux were you then? What was your experience with your first distro?

For me, it started late last year when I was looking for ways to improve my old laptop whose hard drive was slowing down from years of wear and tear.
Among the solutions I found online was to install Linux because it would be lighter on resources than Windows.

I heard of the term Linux but I had no idea what it was as an operating system.
So I searched the term "Linux" and found out it was not a single OS but a whole array of open source operating systems - it was overwhelming to find which one to start with. Thankfully, an article on the "Best Linux distros" recommended Linux Mint for beginners, especially anyone just moving from Windows and I downloaded it and installed it into a new SSD I bought for my laptop without a second thought.

As soon as I booted up Linux Mint, I fell in love with the presentation of the Cinnamon desktop. I had no idea why the distro came in different versions such as Cinnamon and MATE so the latter was what I started with. I also didn't know how much using Linux would involve having to resort to the command line and how much it is a pain in the neck to try and run Windows software through WINE - which I was happy to learn... I just haven't gotten around to fully exploring WINE so that's why I'm still using Windows.

Even after installing Linux, I continued looking up all kinds of different Linux distros and trying them out through live boot including Ubuntu, Manjaro, Kali Linux, etc.
Last edited by gbhollr on Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: What was your first Linux distro?

Post by Jerry3904 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:04 pm

I started with Mandrake about 15 years ago--and don't even know why!
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.15.0-1-386. MX-17.1, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB
Personal: XPS 13, 4.18.0-19.3-liquorix, 4 GB

Paul..
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by Paul.. » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:26 pm

Mepis, 12 years ago.

Asus Prime X470-Pro | AMD Ryzen 5 1400 (8 threads)
16 Gig DDR4 3000 | nVidia - GeForce GTX 750 Ti
Samsung 970 NVMe SSD | 860 500GB SSD

timkb4cq
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by timkb4cq » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:33 pm

Circa 1998 I obtained a Walnut Creek Linux CD set. IIRC, it had Slackware, TurboLinux & Red Hat.
My hardware at that point was not up to running Xfree86 but I learned a good bit of bash.

I hadn't been happy with MS business practices since the Stacker foofraw in '93 (though it wasn't just about that) and I didn't want to support them anymore - so when I got better hardware in 2001 I tried Mandrake Linux. That was quite usable and I started moving everything I could off of Windows 98. Had to build a fair number of programs from scratch because even drivers like hplip didn't have up-to-date rpms back then and I wound up in rpm dependency hell more than once. So I decided to try a distro with a different package management system.
I briefly used Ubuntu & Vector Linux before finding MEPIS 3.4-3 in 2006.
Been with MEPIS , and then MX ever since.
MSI 970A-G43 MB, AMD FX-6300 (six core), 16GB RAM, GeForce 730, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB

chrispop99
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by chrispop99 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:20 pm

I started with Xandros, in 2003.

My Windows machine had blown its motherboard, so I purchased another PC. I replaced the dud motherboard with the aim of having a spare machine, hoping to resurrect Windows on it, but the copy of Windows it came with was tied to the motherboard, a common practice then.

A guy a worked with kept banging on about Linux, so I thought I had nothing to lose.

I was a distro hopper, but soon settled on Mepis. (By coincidence, I booted a Mepis 7 CD at the weekend, on an old machine, for no very good reason!)

When it was clear Mepis development had ended, i settled on Mint, first with KDE, but as that desktop lost its way, with Xfce. I still looked in on the forum here, and posted in the thread where Jerry was asking about putting something together based on Xfce.

I used MX from MX-15 on my laptop, and swapped my desktop to MX when MX-16 was released.

Chris
Test machines:
32-bit non-PAE - Thinkpad T41, 1.6GHz Pentium M, 1GB RAM.
32-bit PAE - DELL Latitude D610, 1.73GHz Pentium M, 2GB RAM.
64-bit - Lenovo T61, 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM
64-bit - Gigabyte Z77P-D3, Intel i3-3220, GeForce 8400 GS, 4GB PC3-12800.

anticapitalista
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by anticapitalista » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:21 pm

c2004 - my first linux was Slax - then about a month later, MEPIS
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX-17 "Heather Heyer" - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

Adrian
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Adrian » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:30 pm

Xandros for few months then moved to MEPIS.

richb
Administrator

Post by richb » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:34 pm

About 18 years ago I tried Red Hat first, or whatever the non-commercial version was. Then Xandros which I used for some time. Them found Mepis in 2003 and I have been with Mepis and now MX continuously since then
Why Linux? I wanted to learn something new.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 18.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

Laurentius
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Laurentius » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:39 pm

Vector Linux, light edition at first. On 2012. I had an old desktop to test and ubuntu precise was not usable there. I remember I spent almost a week to learn how to access my pen drive! Then I realized Vector standard was easier, with xfce.
Then ubuntu precise for real use on the compaq presario cq40 laptop that's still my main machine, until Trusty, when unity became to heavy for it. So I went to mint cinnamon, debian, mint xfce, and now mx.
I think I was reading Neal Stephenson's "In the begining was the command line" those days.
Last edited by Laurentius on Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adrian
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Adrian » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:44 pm

richb wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:34 pm
About 18 years ago I tried Red Hat first, or whatever the non-commercial version was. Then Xandros which I used for some time. Them found Mepis in 2003 and I have been with Mepis and now MX continuously since then
Why Linux? I wanted to learn something new.
Wow, such a similar path, the difference is that I tried Red Hat 20 years ago but not on my computer that's why I said Xandros was my first distro. Also wanted to learn something new...

Return to “Chat”