News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

What was your first Linux distro?

ChrisUK
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: What was your first Linux distro?

Post by ChrisUK » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:19 pm

SuSE Linux 4 (1990s, no idea the exact year) - it was interesting, but I seem to remember I couldn't do much with it... OTOH, there wasn't that much that I needed to do with it at the time. I think you could code with it, but I think I was coding* with/for Commodore 64 and the Amiga at the time.

*(For anyone interested - 6502 Assembly Language on the Commodore 64 and C (using DICE IIRC) on the Amiga)
Chris

MX 18 - Manjaro

davemx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by davemx » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:11 pm

I started using Mandrake not sure what year, but a long time ago. I used packages from an unofficial repository called "Texstar" without realising that was the online handle of a person. Later, I tried Gentoo. After that, I was planning to try Mandrake again (or was it Mandriva by then?) and I noticed that the Texstar repository had vanished, so I did a little online investigation that led me to PCLinuxOS, that was about the time of version 0.81. I stuck with that for years. What impressed me was that it had the same speed advantage over Mandrake that Gentoo did, but with only a fraction of the effort.

Pretty much it for years. I tried other distros as dual boots, but they never really worked for me. All the big names, too. Always some showstopper.

When I met my new wife, she had a laptop, which was in a bad way. I had problems with getting PCLOS to connect to the internet on it. I tried lightweight distros, and eventually got one to work. With some difficulty, and we passed the laptop to her daughter.

A week or so later, I was still looking at lightweight distros and that led me to antiX. Which in turn led me to MX Linux. And that is the first one that I'm really impressed with. Considering that its Debian-based, it seems to do everything without the Debian showstoppers, I guess because MX integrates essential but non-free software which caused me problems when I tried to install it on Debian.
Desktop: Mini-Box M350 with Asus H110i-plus motherboard, Pentium G4600 processor, 2TB SSD and 16Gb RAM DDR4-2133
Printer/Scanner: Brother MFC-J5320W
Laptop: Upgraded Lenovo B50-45

bigbenaugust
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by bigbenaugust » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:54 pm

RedHat 5.2, Jan 1998. After jumping to Mandrake, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu, Debian, SUSE, and Arch over time, I stabilized in the Debian world probably 5-6 years ago.

Professionally, RHEL 3 and 4, March 2006 (I came from Solaris and a smattering of other commercial UNIX variants).
Last edited by bigbenaugust on Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--Ben

turtlebay777
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by turtlebay777 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:05 pm

Strangely, my first foray into the world of Linux was via a copy of Ubuntu and my first installed system was Artistx which was an Ubuntu DVD containing huge numbers of programs with the theme of art and media.

https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=artistx

gimcrack
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by gimcrack » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:51 pm

SimplyMepis July 15th, 2003 over 16 years ago. Now look where I am. MX, so it's like I already went a full circle with Linux. MX also stop me from distro hopping. I won't go to another primary OS. MX for life or at least the life of MX.

NevilsStation
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by NevilsStation » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:28 pm

Late 90's Debian, Suse, RedHat, then Stormix, then ...
Custom-built PC w/i7 CPU running MX-16.

Return to “Chat”