News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

What was your first Linux distro?

Adrian
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: What was your first Linux distro?

Post by Adrian » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:28 pm

I found out about Linux after using some open source apps with Windows XP; thought it sounded like something I might like.
Funny, but kind of the contrary happened to me, once I heard that Xandros comes with Opera which I was using at that time I figured out that if Linux runs fine the app that I use 99% of the time then Linux is ready for me.

seaken64
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by seaken64 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:30 pm

gbhollr wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:52 pm
I'm interested to hear about people's first experience with Linux.

What was your first distro? Why did you decide to try Linux? Why start with this distro in particular?
When did you start off? How knowledgeable of Linux were you then? What was your experience with your first distro?
Slackware, in about 2000. I did a lot of reading in computer magazines and the book store. Bought a book "Slackware Linux for Dummies". Slackware was recommended by a lot of the magazines as a good distro. Back then a GUI was optional and I was not really interested in Windows or MAC - I was a DOS and CP/M user.

I had no experience with Linux before I bought that book. I read it and followed the instructions. I ran Slackware in text mode. The experience was similar to DOS and CP/M but I didn't really make use of Linux back then. It was just a learning exercise. Later I would adopt Vector Linux as my Windows alternative. Vector was based on Slackware.

See here for more from other thread:
viewtopic.php?p=479119#p479119

Seaken64

here's another thread:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=44397
MX-18 on Thinkpad R61i Core2 Laptop. MX-18 on HP Core2 Desktop
MX-18-64/MX-18-32/antiX-17-32 Frugal on Gateway Core2 Laptop
antiX-17 on Compaq PIII 1000 Mhz Desktop, Multi-boot Slackware, Debian, MX, W2K
antiX-17/16 on Dell PIII 450 Mhz Laptop

turtlebay777
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by turtlebay777 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:27 am

Mint 5 was my first after finding a dumped copy of Ubuntu in a computer shop's skip. Had been running XP and found Mint much nicer. Then their forums started getting where the admins were condescending to newbies so I tried Debian, then MX.

JmaCWQ
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by JmaCWQ » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:51 am

My first Linux experience didn't impress me at all, it was when Ubuntu Dapper Drake was released.
I'd managed to fill XP that full of crud it hardly worked anymore & a forum I was on someone posted a link to Dapper so I tried it.
Install alongside XP went ok, worked great offline, after many hours I discovered it didn't play nice with Conexant dial-up modems.
So that was the end of that, removed Dapper and on it's way out it took the MBR with it :sad:
Not having a clue how to get it working again (no other internet capable device) it cost me about 500 bucks for a repair shop to reinstall Windows for me...that was the first and last time I ever used a repair shop.
Managed to break Windows again around the time Hardy Herron (8.04 LTS) was about mid-life, so switched to it & it worked ok, upgraded to 10.04 LTS & really liked it...until they brought out Unity with the 12.04 LTS upgrade I think it was...upgraded & found almost nothing was the same as I was used to with Unity and hated it, couldn't figure out how to get it back how I liked so ditched it & haven't used Ubuntu or recommended it to anyone since.
Distro hopped for quite some time & eventually settled with MX a couple of years ago, using it as my main OS ever since, now just starting to dabble with antiX as a learning experience.

wahnsinn
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by wahnsinn » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:34 am

Since 2008 I use Mandriva on my main systems (desktop and laptop). In 2011, this resulted in the distribution mageia. A very stable and user-friendly distribution.

Since 3 months i try MX-Linux on a netbook (Samsung). No problems have occurred yet.

Greetings from Germany

Open Source - Open Future

zorzi
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by zorzi » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:17 am

My first Linux distro was Ubuntu 10.04, until Ubuntu 14.04.

I switched to Linux Mint Debian Edition 2 in 2015 for a while, then to Debian Jessie and Stretch.

I use MX since one year.
Desktop: HP Pavilion a6435 (Athlon64 2x 2,6Ghz, Radeon R7-240, Ram 4 Go, HD 500 Go) / MX Linux 17

barnaby
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by barnaby » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:24 am

A long time ago now. I started with Mandrake back in 1999, so I am coming up to 20 years clear of MS. I have never touched any MS product since. I have tried and used several distros since then, including kubuntu, xubuntu and Linux Lite. Now I am with MX and staying there. The more I read about what is going on with Microsoft and Apple, the happier I am that I am using Linux. Windows is not allowed in this house.

Pierre

Post by Pierre » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:49 am

it was Mandrake ? or was it called Mandriva back then ?.
& it came as a CD on the cover of an UK based Linux magazine.
:happy:

then I'd discovered Mepis 3,3 & I've still got that CD,
& it serves as an alternative to Puppy Linux - when needed.
:number1:

an friend had dial-up internet & I'd coax him into downloading some ISOs as they were called,
& thus burn them to an CD - - went through a lot of CDs back, in those days.

jessexschilling
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by jessexschilling » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:04 am

Technically Red Hat, back before Fedora. (Early 2000's) Total newb, my mouse wasn't compatible, or at least I wasn't able to set it up, so I went back to Windows XP.

12ish years later, Ubuntu. Was not a fan. Had old hardware that I wanted to play with. Found Puppy. Loved it. Used Puppy to get into CLI stuff, compiled a few kernels.

Eventually played with TinyCore, made my way to Slackware. Discovered VOID, got that up and running. Both still some of my favorites.

Found antiX and MX around the time that Debian switched to SystemD. Also, Devuan.

antiX is still the only distro that works out of the box and is snappy on my lil' Dell Inspiron Mini 10 (2012). MX is my preferred distro on an older HP Pavilion g4 lappy. Q4OS currently runs on one of my Alienwares (circa 2009ish).

This amount of choice, freedom, and different levels of compatibility with hardware is why I like Linux. I use what works on my hardware with minimal effort on my part. MX gives me more recent software updates with ease and runs great on the HP. antiX runs on darn near any hardware I own or would buy and makes the Inspiron Mini pretty usable (internet is sometimes a pain, due to bloat in browsers and the internet). Q4OS has been the easiest to get my Alienwares graphics (nVidia 260m with a 9400 onboard chip) setup on. Puppy is still nice to have around for much the same reason as anitX.
Jesse R. Schilling | rainydayshirts

https://jesseschilling.weebly.com

Richard

Post by Richard » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:09 am

In 1996 downloaded MuLinux, CLI only, on 720K floppies --a learning tool. Later found Maracaibo VeLUG and tried to install Redhat then Debian, but no internet with winmodem.

In 2001 bought SuSE-7.2, mainly for the manuals, and a serial modem. Later that year got Mandrake-7.3 from VeLUG, dual booting with WindowsXP until Mandrake v10.2 bricked my new DVD-RW (actually LG's error).

In 2003, a friend gave me a CD of Mepis-3. Installed and ran Mepis until the change to Ubuntu base in 2006.

Then Kanotix, forked to sidux, Debian testing, Mint, siduction forked from sidux, Peppermint, Ubuntu, OpenSuSE, Crunchbang, Puppy, Arch, Fedora, SolydX, Solex, etc... distro hopping, searching, until SalineOS w/Xfce4 & backports in 2011, till it closed in late 2012 and recommended Manjaro & systemd which was a complete change from Debian base distros.

In late March-2014, on Debian forum, I read about the porting masters on the old Mepis. Tried and installed MX14 w/ SysVinit, on 02-Apr-2014, which OOTB was configured much to my liking, with an amazing community, great tools
and it gets better and better every day.

Currently on MX-Linux 18.1, x32 & x64.
Last edited by Richard on Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
LT: MX18.3: Thinkpad T430: DualCore, Intel i5-3320M, Ivy Bridge; 8GB RAM; 4.19.0-5-amd64; 119GB SSD 840PRO, Intel Graphics-Audio-Network
NB: MX18.1, antiX17.4: AsusTek EeePC 1005HA: Intel DualCore Atom N270, 1GB RAM, 4.19.0-1-686, 150GB HDD

Return to “Chat”