News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

What was your first Linux distro?

PPC
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: What was your first Linux distro?

Post by PPC » Fri May 24, 2019 5:35 am

hi, everyone.

My first distro? Knoppix, from a cd-rom that came with a pc magazine I bought some 20 years ago was my first linux distro experience, running Live from a cd-rom that took a few minutes to boot.
I have very good memories of the "magic" experience that was using something different, that noone knew about, that could not harm my computer, that came with some very good casual games, looked better than Windows (XP, at that time, I guess???). I used it Live only. Side note: It saved a friend of mine that had windows crash without possibility of easy recover, taking with it his final med school paper. I helped him by booting from Knoppix and then saving his work to a usb pen drive (always back up important stuff, kids!!!).
I tried several distros that came in cd-roms/dvd's- SUSE, mandrake, mandriva, then Caixa Magica (a portuguese state sponsored Distro, that was used in cheap computers provided to school children).
I ordered, for free, 2 Ubuntu CD-roms and was quite happy using Ubuntu live (no install I can recall, back then I was mainly a Windows user).
I used a couple of versions of Linux Mint on my desktops and lunbuntu and xunbuntu on my laptop and then my netbook. For a couple of months I used a live distro almost as good as antiX, I forgot it's name :-( .
In my old 32bits laptop, I put Bodhi linux and gave it way. I tested some light live distros on it (like puppy and antiX). My test was: does youtube run ok enough to watch a video, even in low res? For some reason- maybe related to video drivers, Bodhi was more fluid on that test than antiX). Used Bodhi then, on my desktop, too for a while,
Then I really found out about antiX (tried it in my desktop, with the nvidea driver it needed) and MX and never looked back...

P.

spanizdogs
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by spanizdogs » Fri May 24, 2019 7:29 am

I switched from Windows to Debian 12 years ago.

It's almost impossible to use windows without cracks, malwareblockers, virus scanners, etc. Very complex system. Not free.

I used Osx (dual boot) for a little while on my Macbook. If you make a mistake with your login to the cloud, you are Fckt. Not free.

Debian was not easy for me 12 years ago, so Ubuntu came along with a user friendly linux system. From Windows to the terminal was a big step and Ubuntu did help with changing that. The open source community of linux brought me into a completly other world than windows.

When Unity came into Ubuntu i switched to LMint Cinnamon. I was quite happy with it till 1,5 years ago when i came across MxLinux.
DT + LT : Kernel: 4.19.0-1-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 6.3.0 Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 Distro: MX-18.3_x64 Continuum Apr 7 2019 base: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)
Laptop System: TOSHIBA product: Satellite Pro P300

Head_on_a_Stick
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Head_on_a_Stick » Fri May 24, 2019 2:18 pm

gbhollr wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:52 pm
What was your first distro? Why did you decide to try Linux? Why start with this distro in particular?
When did you start off? How knowledgeable of Linux were you then? What was your experience with your first distro?
Started out with Xubuntu 13.10 and zero experience after reading about it in a HiFi magazine.

It was nice enough but I quickly moved to Arch after a few months once I managed to install it, I like learning new skills :happy:

Debian took a little longer, my hardware was too new and needed non-free firmware.
"Individual appropriation is neither just nor serviceable. All belongs to all." — Peter Kropotkin

mxer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by mxer » Sat May 25, 2019 6:21 am

(I thought I'd posted to the thread, but evidently not.)

My first Linux experience was with Zipslack 8, this was able to run from a W95 system, by using a filesystem layer on top of DOS, I forget what it was called, but it gave me an insight into what could be achieved without MS on a computer.

My first real installation was either RedHat 4.2 or 5.0, I had both CD discs, quickly followed by Debian 2.1.

Debian became my base distro from 1999, & is still my preferred base, but less systemd, & preferably no pulseaudio either.

Crunchbang (#!) Linux was my mainstay for a number of years, until its demise, when I found AntiX, & have used it ever since, just recently switching to MX because I was having a bit of trouble with Firefox, & thought maybe a newer version might cure the problem, but it didn't.

So, I'm awaiting the next release, to see if I stay on MX or switch back. :happy:
(FOSS, Linux, & BSD since 1999)

azrielle
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by azrielle » Sat May 25, 2019 3:43 pm

Debian Potato back in 2001 when I went back to college after a 21 year hiatus. After I graduated, technically in 2005, I didn't use Linux again until 2012, when I dabbled fairly unsuccessfully (largely because I made the Linux partition too small) with Easy Peasy 1.6 on a n270 based Acer built eMachines netbook. I didn't get into it in earnest until January 2016 while recuperating from gall bladder removal surgery, when I ordered a pre-loaded USB stick with Manjaro 15.12 Xfce. That worked for a short while, but I couldn't figure out how to update it, so I started looking for something else. I opted for Kali Light, because it was the only version that used Xfce; when they labeled it "light" they weren't kidding--adding software is command line only--it doesn't even come with Synaptic! But, that forced me to get somewhat familiar with, and unafraid of, the command line. I eventually found, and became enamored with MX15.01 32bit around about May 2016, after I borked my Kali by trying to add an unauthorized non-Kali repo, which I found rather catastrophically, was NOT A GOOD IDEA! Been with MX (and Win7SP1) ever since. The devs even took my suggestion of including a rudimentary ePub reader in the MX16 iso, to heart, for anyone who might wish to read ePub books with the Live version of MX.
Lenovo T430 i5/3320m 8GB MX17.1/Win7SP1 180GB SSD/128GB mSATA
Lenovo X230 i7/3520m 12GB MX17.1/Win7SP1 500GB SSD
Lenovo X131e i3/3227u 8GB MX17.1/AntiX 17.1 Fluxbox/Win7SP1 500GB SSD
Acer AOD257 Atom n570 2GB MX18.1-32bit/Win7SP1 128GB SSD

tascoast
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by tascoast » Sat May 25, 2019 7:21 pm

I tried Red Hat around 1998, when I had a P100 running '95 (mature age tertiary student). It had been a while since I dabbled with basic using a Sinclair ZX-81 and fortran via a card reading unit during high school, so using new desktop systems and internet were still a learning curve.

Partitioning was a little nerve-wracking using Red Hat, given my limited experience and the basic CLI tools being available.

I think I went to Mandrax? next, sourced from a PC mag CD.

I finally got serious when I came across Mephis and then continued with MX, by which time I had dropped dual booting '98 and consigned the latter to a Virtual Machine, almost never used now.
Lenovo ThinkCentre A58 4GBRAM (64-bit), MX17/MX-16/antiX17/Mint 19

teddyk67
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by teddyk67 » Sat May 25, 2019 8:07 pm

I was exposed to Slackware in the late 1990's because the sys admin at my former employer was a huge fan. The first distro that I used was Suse when I used to buy CDs from CompUSA stores. I was exposed to the early editions of Fedora even though I couldn't concentrate enough to configure a web server and other applications. After a few years break, I rediscovered Fedora 14 when I installed it on a friend's laptop and wrote extensive documentation on how to use Linux. I continued using Fedora until I ruined an update. When I came across an old laptop, I used MX because it was one of very few distros which supported the 32-bit architecture. I'm still on Windows 7 on my 64-bit system; however, unless I buy a new system and stick with Windows 10, I may get rid of Windows 7 on my current system (if the hardware continues to work) when support ends next January and stick with MX.

passmx
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by passmx » Sun May 26, 2019 4:44 pm

Gone through microsoft starting at msdos5.0 upto windows 8 which was the last version I bought and then I got bored. 9_9 My VAIO laptop found a perfect match with Zorin (ubuntu fork) which I recommend for first time users as having a formidable forum.What bothered me was the mix of debian/ubuntu so I looked around and was advised to try Antix but ended up on MX-linux.

Distro hopping is not my game so hope to catch up learning more of your OS for a long time to come

cheers

kajakob
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by kajakob » Mon May 27, 2019 12:56 pm

DLD was my first Linux Distro - https://archiveos.org/dld/

More followed and in the end I was again at "Windoof 7".
Now it packed me again - a GNU/Linux distro should be there, but I'm not a coder, so I don't have any distro to knit. I would like to plan a little longer term, but that has become even more difficult today. So I ended up with Linux Mint/Mate for my main machine. For my second machine, Think Centre Desktop (fast hard disk change possible) I'm now on MXLinux 18.2 + 18.3/Mate via Antix and it's really fun.
There is still a small drop of bitterness, MXLinux is in first place with DistroWatch ;)

kajakob

sorry for my crap english

jensm
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by jensm » Mon May 27, 2019 1:51 pm

My first distro :hmm:
I think it was SuSE 6.4 and then debian sarge

Return to “Chat”