Welcome!

The kernel problem with recent updates has been solved. Find the solution here

Important information
-- Required MX 15/16 Repository Changes
-- Information on torrent hosting changes
-- Information on MX15/16 GPG Keys
-- Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities

News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

For MX Linux play: Lenovo T440s, Dell 5280/5480 laptop? Thoughts?

User avatar
Jan K.
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:52 am

For MX Linux play: Lenovo T440s, Dell 5280/5480 laptop? Thoughts?

#1

Post by Jan K. » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:25 pm

As my workstation isn't ready for the transition yet (tm), I got the brilliant idea to get a laptop for playing and learning hands-on Mx...

But the laptop world is... frightening, bewildering, Linux-like-multiple-choices :biggrin: but I found these interesting:

https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/lapto ... itude-5280

https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/lapto ... itude-5480

https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/lapto ... kpad-t440s


The Dells have Linux driver support?! Ubuntu at least... but that's a plus, isn't it?

Buying second-hand btw. and have a keen eye on the 5480. I think...


Would love to hear your thoughts! Better alternatives? Problems? Experiences?


Thanks in advance!

User avatar
v3g4n
Developer
Posts: 1829
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:20 pm

Re: For MX Linux play: Lenovo T440s, Dell 5280/5480 laptop? Thoughts?

#2

Post by v3g4n » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:31 pm

I own a Thinkpad T61 and W520. Work great with linux. Never owned a Dell. Recommend choosing either AMD or Intel graphics for less hassle, but that's just my opinion.

User avatar
j2mcgreg
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 664
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:04 pm

Re: For MX Linux play: Lenovo T440s, Dell 5280/5480 laptop? Thoughts?

#3

Post by j2mcgreg » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:30 pm

Based on my experience with my current laptop (see sig) don't buy a Ryzen based laptop from Acer.
HP ProBook 450 G5; CPU Intel i5; 500GB HDD; Intel UHD 620 Graphics; 8 GB Ram

User avatar
Stevo
Developer
Posts: 20182
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:07 pm

Re: For MX Linux play: Lenovo T440s, Dell 5280/5480 laptop? Thoughts?

#4

Post by Stevo » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:34 pm

Looks like the Lenovo 440S wins in those reviews. Lot of Google results from Linux users about the 440s, pretty much all positive. Uses Intel wifi instead of Broadcom, which Dell likes to stick in their machines.

Should work out of the box with MX, as far as I can tell.

NGIB
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 490
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:12 pm

Re: For MX Linux play: Lenovo T440s, Dell 5280/5480 laptop? Thoughts?

#5

Post by NGIB » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:37 pm

I have used MX with 3 different Lenovo laptops and it worked perfectly out of the box. Never been a fan of Dell as Broadcom WiFi is a PITA...
Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid...

User avatar
Jan K.
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:52 am

Re: For MX Linux play: Lenovo T440s, Dell 5280/5480 laptop? Thoughts?

#6

Post by Jan K. » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:26 pm

It's quite interesting the older laptop gets the praise?

Very assuring, thanks a lot! Looks very nice and did indeed get good reviews.
j2mcgreg wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:30 pm
Based on my experience with my current laptop (see sig) don't buy a Ryzen based laptop from Acer.
Oh! Everything Acer is so blacklisted here! :lipsrsealed:

Typing this from an Acer A3-A30 tablet. No updates ever, locked and glued to android os.
Least annoying browser found is that %&#% chrome, which is the dummest thing ever run... 9_9

So, no Acer here! :biggrin:


Thanks for the swift feedback! Will think and contemplate a week or so... :tumbleweed:
Last edited by Jan K. on Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Jan K.
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:52 am

Re: For MX Linux play: Lenovo T440s, Dell 5280/5480 laptop? Thoughts?

#7

Post by Jan K. » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:28 pm

... double post :bagoverhead:

User avatar
Stevo
Developer
Posts: 20182
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:07 pm

Re: For MX Linux play: Lenovo T440s, Dell 5280/5480 laptop? Thoughts?

#8

Post by Stevo » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:35 pm

Much of MX 17 was built on a 2016 vintage Skylake hardware Acer laptop, so they aren't all bad. There are some extra steps needed to get it to boot MX, though.

Linux is still working on Ryzen/Vega support, and it will get better in the future.

User avatar
JayM
Qualified MX Guide
Posts: 2185
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:47 am

Re: For MX Linux play: Lenovo T440s, Dell 5280/5480 laptop? Thoughts?

#9

Post by JayM » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:04 pm

Stevo wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:35 pm
Much of MX 17 was built on a 2016 vintage Skylake hardware Acer laptop, so they aren't all bad. There are some extra steps needed to get it to boot MX, though.
There are? The laptop/netbook I reinstalled Windows 10 on and put up for sale (Linux isn't very popular in the Philippines yet so everyone wants Windows, God knows why) is a 2016 Skylake, an Asus Zenbook. The other day I booted it from my snapshot USB and all I had to do was go into the UEFI screen and set the USB higher than the HDD in the boot order, then answer a lot of multiple-choice questions that I'd never seen before during the boot. The display was tiny thanks to someone deciding that 3200x1800 resolution packed into a little 13.3" display was a good idea, but it booted without a problem.
Please read How To Ask For Help and How to Break Your System.
MX User Manual: hold down ALT and press F1. Further information may be found in the MX Wiki.

User avatar
Stevo
Developer
Posts: 20182
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:07 pm

Re: For MX Linux play: Lenovo T440s, Dell 5280/5480 laptop? Thoughts?

#10

Post by Stevo » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:37 pm

JayM wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:04 pm
Stevo wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:35 pm
Much of MX 17 was built on a 2016 vintage Skylake hardware Acer laptop, so they aren't all bad. There are some extra steps needed to get it to boot MX, though.
There are? The laptop/netbook I reinstalled Windows 10 on and put up for sale (Linux isn't very popular in the Philippines yet so everyone wants Windows, God knows why) is a 2016 Skylake, an Asus Zenbook. The other day I booted it from my snapshot USB and all I had to do was go into the UEFI screen and set the USB higher than the HDD in the boot order, then answer a lot of multiple-choice questions that I'd never seen before during the boot. The display was tiny thanks to someone deciding that 3200x1800 resolution packed into a little 13.3" display was a good idea, but it booted without a problem.
At least on my Acer, and confirmed by others here, the fun part comes after the install. That's when you have to set a security password to be able to turn off Secure Boot, add the MX efi file to the list of trusted ones, and then make that one the default one in the list of boot options. Then Windows and BIOS updates will undo all your changes, too. It also seems you need to keep Windows to perform any BIOS updates.

Post Reply

Return to “Chat”