News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Why distro hopping is bad for you.

Sparky
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Why distro hopping is bad for you.

Post by Sparky » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:01 am

Even though I have been using Linux for at least 2 years now, I noticed that distro hopping has prevented me from 'mastering' any distro.
I really suggest that people doing that stop at the best distro they have found and learn it's interface and how it works. The change I have gone through after settling for MX-Linux have been amazing.
I'm not saying there's something terrible for people who distro hop, I'm just saying you'll become a Jack of all trades, but a master in none.
I have now 5 machines running MX (even at my office) and plan on deploying it to at least 3 more.
I found my home, and a distro that kicks ass!
I have no idea why I felt like sharing this, but I am anyway :p
MX Linux Asus F552, 12GB RAM, 1TB HDD

Eadwine Rose
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Why distro hopping is bad for you.

Post by Eadwine Rose » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:57 am

I started out with mepis back in the day. Used every day and was happy. THEN I started distro hopping.. tried the livecds and .. went back to mepis because I didn't like the way the others did things.

So.. in my case it was a good thing: I knew what I had was good ;)
MX-18.3_x64 May 26 2019 * 4.19.0-5-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.12.3 * 8-core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 390.116 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy5030

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by dolphin_oracle » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:34 am

I've been in the antiX family so long, everything else seems foreign. But man can I manipulate the heck out of the system now.

Sparky makes a great point. There's nothing wrong with the hopping lifestyle, but knowing the ends-and-outs of a particular system is pretty awesome.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-18
lenovo s21e - MX-18, antiX-17.3.1 (live-USB)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

KBD
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by KBD » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:54 am

I think that in general distro-hopping is very good for newbies. I learned a great deal about Linux by trying most of the major distros and a few of the smaller ones as well. I began with MEPIS, so I measured everything against it, and you can see I'm still here in this community because after everything was said and done I still find the next evolution of MEPIS, MX, the best distro.
On the other hand, if a new person to Linux does not want to know anything about Linux, but merely wants an operating system that just works with little effort on their part--this is the place to be. One need look no further.

bobbee
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by bobbee » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:44 pm

Distro hopping does help one learn. but it does take effort and that effort could be used for other things, so I guess it is a matter of priorities.

The other distros I had were good, but I didn't like the way things were going with invasiveness and big business starting to get it's grips in.
I'm happy to find this one that keeps more in line with foss principles. It seems like the right ballance anyway. I have never tried AntiX but I am thinking about it.

I know I installed this on a VM before taking the leap on my main box.

rokytnji.1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by rokytnji.1 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:11 pm

If ya got the time. It don't hurt much.

My distro jumping was done because of different gear and couch ridden for months on end.
AntiX and MX are my go to distros for years now.

But it helped me to also learn DSL and Puppy and Fluxbox Mint 5 and other things like Slax, Zenwalk, Vector, NimbleX,
Slackel, plus found out was rpm distro dyslexic when I tried Open Suse and raw hide repos.

Even swam in the BSD operating system till I induced the " aw snap " trying to get certain hardware to be recognized.
Wanna get lost? Try hiking down that trail.

Life is adventure. Or boring. Up to you decide I guess and how much time you think you have. My screwed up mind set keeps telling me I am gonna live forever. :confused: :popcorn: :happy:

danielson
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by danielson » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:47 pm

Was Sparky influenced by "Switched to Linux" who dedicated 5 reasons to stop distro hopping (on the same day Sparky posted) ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPUdPUjY5tE
Distro: MX-18 Continuum
Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p
CPU: Dual core Intel i5-2520M.
Office: LibreOffice.
Browser: Firefox (Quantum).

figueroa
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by figueroa » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:31 pm

Andy's opinion: If one wants to get any computer work done, compulsive distro hopping isn't good for the user. The only thing one masters is is how to hop which leads to interminable dissatisfaction. A bit of exploring for the sake of learning and/or seeking, once one has committed to, has stabilized, and has learned how to maintain a primary OS for getting one's work done, some distro hopping may be healthy play or a big waste of time.
Andy Figueroa
Using Unix from 1984; GNU/Linux from 1993

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by asqwerth » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:29 am

Don't distrohop, multiboot instead.

:p

I've collected a selection of distros I really like on my pc and I rotate their use daily. Since my data and media are all on a separate data partition accessible to all distros, I can work and enjoy my media on whichever distro I'm booted into.

I've been multi booting since around 2009 but before I got my current PC in Jan 2015, I kind of already planned what I wanted installed on it: mx14, Manjaro, solydx (Debian testing at that time ) , kanotix KDE, mint 17 cinnamon, Semplice (openbox Debian Sid), evolve os (what Solus used to be called).

4 years later, things have changed a bit. Collected a few more distros including some more non systemd ones (pclinuxos, void) . Removed solydx (became Debian Stable-based and I didn't need it anymore with mx), Semplice (dev stopped development on his openbox tweaks that made it almost a DE with control centre and all, plus I decided I had too many rolling distros eating into my time already ) , kanotix (again, good distro but repetitive with mx).

But Manjaro is still rolling, as is Solus. I used the provided upgrade tool to upgrade Mint 17 to mint 18. MX : now at 15/16, 17/18.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

bobbee
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by bobbee » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:12 am

I've done the mint distro upgrade, and then wound up needing a new install. The upgrade version and the fresh install version are different.
The fresh install is also more reliable. And I think faster too. But hard to say for sure on that as things generally tend to slow down on any os over time. Unused aps, disk faults, bloat. And whatever all else happens over time.

Return to “Chat”