News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Why distro hopping is bad for you.

mr_dashi
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Re: Why distro hopping is bad for you.

Post by mr_dashi » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:16 am

figueroa wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:31 pm
Andy's opinion: If one wants to get any computer work done, compulsive distro hopping isn't good for the user. The only thing one masters is is how to hop which leads to interminable dissatisfaction. A bit of exploring for the sake of learning and/or seeking, once one has committed to, has stabilized, and has learned how to maintain a primary OS for getting one's work done, some distro hopping may be healthy play or a big waste of time.
The Paradox of Choice and neurotic behavior. Distro hopping is a rite of passage in Linux-dom. I've worn the same leather shoe manufacturer, style and color to work every day for the past 15 years. I go through a pair every 5 years. I'm on my feet 12hrs a day. They're not cheap, nor perfect, but they fit/stretch and I grow into each pair. I still haven't settled on a pair of jeans yet. Sometimes things don't feel "right". T-shirts are pretty easy to fit. It's took me some time to find the right shoe though.

I spent my first 2.5 years in Linux distro hopping until I settled on Arch as my daily driver for the past 2 years. MX16 was great, and have been lurking here since then, but Debian based distros always felt foreign to me. When I found myself searching for answers related to Linux, I found myself on the Arch Wiki more often than not, so why not use Arch? But I maintain 6 Linux installs for family and friends, and Arch is silly to recommend. I've since wiped out the Ubuntus and all their paper-cuts, and even my Arch laptop for MX. I should be using what I recommend. I still roll Arch on my desktop, but I also dual boot MX and could easily live with antiX if/when my Haswell desktop hardware becomes "obsolete". Aptitude still feels like a grey-bearded black arts foreign language compared to Pacman, but I'm really enjoying learning something new. At least my lizard brain is more malleable than my feet. Ideally, a Linux distro should offer tools for those new and experts to Linux. I've had zero issues with antiX/MX. Plug and play. USB persistence/MX Tools has to be some of the coolest things in Linux-dom and saved my daughter's impossible to install Linux HP W10 notebook.

The devs, forum community and the documentation primarily define a Linux distro. I really love what the MX/antiX community has done to curate, improve and recreate Debian into a really awesome distro. I'm happy to learn a new init and what MX/antiX has to offer.

MadmanRB
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by MadmanRB » Mon May 06, 2019 10:24 am

Well hate to necro bump but in my experience distro hopping is not as bad as the OP makes it out to be.
Considering the amount of flavours out there distro hopping is a interesting way to see what works and what doesnt, plus each distro does have its interesting quirks too.
I learned a lot from distro hopping, sticking with one distro sometimes feels like you are stuck in the mud while hopping feels more like an adventure.
But that is just my humble opinion :smiley2:
Spoooon!

jackdanielsesq
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by jackdanielsesq » Mon May 06, 2019 11:03 am

Amen to that, brother ...

I loved RPM mixes, hated the Debian Nanny State until I discovered MXL - its a hoot

The absolute best ... cant live without Root ... thats how one learns, repairs stuff

Dont ever change anything - Hail the best Dev Team in the World

Regards

Jack .... :number1:
MadmanRB wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 10:24 am
Well hate to necro bump but in my experience distro hopping is not as bad as the OP makes it out to be.
Considering the amount of flavours out there distro hopping is a interesting way to see what works and what doesnt, plus each distro does have its interesting quirks too.
I learned a lot from distro hopping, sticking with one distro sometimes feels like you are stuck in the mud while hopping feels more like an adventure.
But that is just my humble opinion :smiley2:

mx-2018
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by mx-2018 » Tue May 07, 2019 3:58 pm

asqwerth wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:29 am
Don't distrohop, multiboot instead.
Are you saying multi-booting is not considered distro-hopping? If so, then I'm a multi-booter. :)
MX-18_x64 Continuum March 14 2018
Intel Core2 Quad Q9400
Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics

Sparky
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Sparky » Tue May 07, 2019 4:16 pm

MadmanRB wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 10:24 am
It's not that bad when done within a specific time period (different for each person). But there comes a time, when you settle for a distro and take time to learn the ins and outs of it, that you get a lot more pleasure of using the OS than just mixing different philosophies and command line tools.
Anyhow, YMMV
MX Linux Asus F552, 12GB RAM, 1TB HDD

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by asqwerth » Tue May 07, 2019 11:59 pm

mx-2018 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 3:58 pm
asqwerth wrote:
Are you saying multi-booting is not considered distro-hopping? If so, then I'm a multi-booter. :)
I'm a multibooter because I have stuck more or less to the same collection of more than 10 distros since around early 2015 when I got my current PC.

Yes, maybe about 3 have eventually been shafted and replaced by the same number, but I use all of them regularly by rotating through the lot and I switch distros roughly every 2 days. So I won't win any awards for how long my computer has been running without a reboot/shutdown :-) .

To me distrohopping = using 1 distro for a few months to a year, getting tired/dissatisfied of it (maybe before learning their ins and outs), and then installing another one as a replacement.

For me, multibooting = using the same collection of distros for the past 4+ years and appreciating the differences between each of them as I get more used to each of them.

Some are rolling so yes, they've been chugging along all this time. For those that are not, I've used the upgrade paths provided by the distros (Mint, Neon, Fedora), or installed a new version over the older version but preserving /home (MX)
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

mx-2018
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by mx-2018 » Wed May 08, 2019 12:15 pm

asqwerth wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 11:59 pm
mx-2018 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 3:58 pm
asqwerth wrote:
I'm a multibooter because I have stuck more or less to the same collection of more than 10 distros since around early 2015 when I got my current PC.

Yes, maybe about 3 have eventually been shafted and replaced by the same number, but I use all of them regularly by rotating through the lot and I switch distros roughly every 2 days. So I won't win any awards for how long my computer has been running without a reboot/shutdown :-) .

To me distrohopping = using 1 distro for a few months to a year, getting tired/dissatisfied of it (maybe before learning their ins and outs), and then installing another one as a replacement.

For me, multibooting = using the same collection of distros for the past 4+ years and appreciating the differences between each of them as I get more used to each of them.

Some are rolling so yes, they've been chugging along all this time. For those that are not, I've used the upgrade paths provided by the distros (Mint, Neon, Fedora), or installed a new version over the older version but preserving /home (MX)
Cool! I've been doing similar to what you described. I've got 7 Linux distros in multiboot with Win 7. Three of those are regular distros (MX, Mint, Debian) in rotation almost everyday. The other 4 slots are for trying out any other distros I'm interested in to satisfy my curiosity. :)
MX-18_x64 Continuum March 14 2018
Intel Core2 Quad Q9400
Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics

Safe_Ferret
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by Safe_Ferret » Thu May 16, 2019 8:39 am

Hi all, tried MX and liked, a year or so ago. But my curious nature took me to manjaro kde, I had a minimal install using manjaro architect. Liked a lot, loved dolphin file manager with split screen (great for moving files).
Experimented with Arch Linux and had one successful install. It was cool, I finally did it :)
But I was even more curious to try out Mx-Linux again. Its had some improvements since last time, thanks for that.
So time for me to relearn apt-get all over again.
Maybe I will stick with MX longer this time and try to learn more.
Thanks for this great distro.

Return to “Chat”