News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

leaving Google Mac business Internet

Kreative
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Re: leaving Google Mac business Internet

Post by Kreative » Sat May 11, 2019 12:26 am

I escaped the Apple Cult back in the 90's... Went to Windows (Blocked Spyware 10 from infecting W7) and then onto Linux Only in 2017. It's been very good for the most part, even went Open Source for my Web & Graphic Design Apps.

I would Skip GNOME 3, KDE and possibly Cinnamon DE, stick w/ Xfce, LXQt and MATE for your desktop environments. I'm distro hopping again, back on Fedora GNOME, was on Fedora Xfce, one day my scanner would not work when I needed it to for a client.... GNOME came to the rescue again... it works, but it's poky even on an i5/16GB desktop. Lubuntu 18.10 LXQt was the fastest, but a little temperamental at the wrong time for me. Note Fedora Xfce has default apps and no styling unlike polished & tweaked MX Linux.

A Word To The Wise About Privacy...
ReadME: https://spyware.neocities.org/guides/firefox.html
ReadME: https://spyware.neocities.org/articles/browsers.html

Artim
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Artim » Sat May 11, 2019 5:19 am

Startpage.com - a nice private search engine - also offers StartMail with all the cool features and more. Including "aliases" and stuff. The free option is a bit limited but adequate for most casual/occasional users, and paid options offer more storage and options.

jj1j1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by jj1j1 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:43 pm

I was interested in startmail, and went to try it out. I didn't see a free option besides a 7 day free trial. Was that what you meant? Otherwise they want $59.95 a year for a personal account, and the same amount for a business account.
True freedom is never asking the question; Am I free?

duane
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by duane » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:59 pm

Yep. Startmail is a free 7 day trial and then you have the option to pay for an account.
I have been using it for a few years. I like it so far.
Lenovo M92p Quad Core i5 3470 3.2Ghz

figueroa
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by figueroa » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:27 pm

cjos wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:03 am
like to get some idea's on how to populate MX and get a more protected email address and safe web access.
Best way may be to start your own domain and use your providers email servers, or run your own. But, free privacy oriented 5 Gig email at vivaldi.net quite reliable and nice. Somewhat undiscovered at this time. Vivaldi is quite the nice web browser.
Andy Figueroa
Using Unix from 1984; GNU/Linux from 1993

KBD
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by KBD » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:05 pm

Didn't know that about 5 Gig email at vivaldi.net. I'm always a bit nervous about small email providers viability. Hopefully it is successful.

galaxysurfer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by galaxysurfer » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:08 am

Does your business need or use a website? IF yes, it is a justifiable expense if it includes email accounts. For a few hundred dollars per year ( dependent on your country of origin) you can get website + email + private domain which will go a long way to getting you some business sovereignty & autonomy. It is well worth the expense, which is a write-off against income. I would personally add a vpn to the list. Other tricks I add to my tool box include a higher end router with dd-wrt compatibility so you can customize the firmware with things like secure dns & ad blocking etc. My go to place for more info on networking security topics is https://www.snbforums.com/.

Welcome to the world of LInux!

Return to “Chat”