News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Snapshot!!

antiX-Dave
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Snapshot!!

Post by antiX-Dave » Thu May 09, 2019 10:19 pm

I could be out to lunch here, but it sounds like the op is looking for an option to make only the linuxfs file and then the reverse option to copy and extract it in a partition of choice. So essentially clone a working partition / install? Therefore negating the need to make a linuxfs, make an iso, burn an iso image to boot media, boot the live system, configure the system, and install the system.

To me that would be the same as using rsync to mirror a drive and then chroot / install grub on the drive... but the sync could be stored in a file that is a little better on compressed size then the a tar.gz as with the rsync archive option.

BitJam
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by BitJam » Thu May 09, 2019 10:53 pm

antiX-Dave wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 10:19 pm
I could be out to lunch here, but it sounds like the op is looking for an option to make only the linuxfs file and then the reverse option to copy and extract it in a partition of choice. So essentially clone a working partition / install? Therefore negating the need to make a linuxfs, make an iso, burn an iso image to boot media, boot the live system, configure the system, and install the system.

To me that would be the same as using rsync to mirror a drive and then chroot / install grub on the drive... but the sync could be stored in a file that is a little better on compressed size then the a tar.gz as with the rsync archive option.
That won't quite work as-is because there are changes that need to be made to convert a live system to an installed system. But, more importantly, if that is the goal, then I think the current iso snapshots may still be the best solution. All the work/time is in creating the linuxfs file. Creating the iso file around it very fast.

On the other end, the isomount program (introduced in antiX-19) makes it trivial to mount the linuxfs file that's in an iso file. Just run "isomount $iso_file". I use this *every* day. The chroot-rescue system (also introduced in antiX-19) allows you to chroot into those mounted linuxfs files. I'm not certain the installer will work but it may well and we could probably fix things so it does.

If you have antiX-19.a2 or if you've installed chroot rescue and isomount from my repos then please try what I suggested in the Developers' Forum with some antiX/MX iso files:

Code: Select all

sudo isomount $dir/*.iso
sudo chroot-rescue-select /mnt/iso
sudo isoumount all
Here is a picture of what that looks like:
chroot-rescue-select-02.png
We may need to tweak a few things to get the installer to work but I think that would be better than creating a new, incompatible, snapshot kind of thing. ISTM there are plenty of plain backup tools already. If I/we knew more clearly what sg-1 wanted to do then we could recommend specific tools.

IIUC, fehlix is working on adding snapshot iso files to his live grub rescue system (again introduced in antiX-19). This would make a list of iso files from a particular directory location(s) and allow you to pick one to boot from. I think the installer should work in this case without modification.

My hope/plan is that starting with antiX-19 (and perhaps backported to MX monthly snapshots) it will be much easier for people to use and access their snapshots without having to make them into live-usbs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Will I cry when it's all over?
When I die will I see Heaven?

sg-1
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by sg-1 » Fri May 10, 2019 6:22 am

Thank you for your kind answers and the work you do for the community.
Snapshot is useful and excellent program, it should not be modified, I didn't mean to change it maybe updated when possible.

The suggestion I intend is to create a new software which allows the saving of the system image.
The same software creates an iso file to be burned in pendrive / cd / dvd to be used in case of system crash, a rescue file.

Unfortunately, I use MX with virtualbox, the pendrive. DVDs freeze with black screen.

fehlix
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by fehlix » Fri May 10, 2019 6:38 am

sg-1 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 6:22 am
Unfortunately, I use MX with virtualbox, the pendrive. DVDs freeze with black screen.
Have you tried to attach the snapshot ISO as a virtual DVD and boot from that ISO?
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

sg-1
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by sg-1 » Fri May 10, 2019 6:49 am

I have not tried, I get to work and put the result. Thanks.

sg-1
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by sg-1 » Fri May 10, 2019 12:06 pm

I tried to burn the snapshot.iso file and the downloaded distro to pendrive. Nothing to do, it seems that the iso is copied and not mastered with Rufus. The user Apanta complained about this situation exactly like me and I suggested to redo the snapshot but it is clear that something is not working. I continue with virtualbox that works with the snapshot and the iso file downloaded via the internet.

figueroa
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by figueroa » Fri May 10, 2019 12:58 pm

sg-1 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 6:49 am
I have not tried, I get to work and put the result. Thanks.
Copy the snapshot iso to a DVD, USB flash drive, or to your computer so that you can select it as a virtual optical drive in VirtualBox storage settings, or burn it to a bootable DVD so you can select a real optical drive itself. It will boot fine in a VirtualBox virtualmachine. I do this very often.

I haven't been able to boot from a live usb, but I am booted now from an iso file that was copied to a live usb's Live-usb-storatge/demo directory mounted at /run/media/figueroa/Live-usb/Live-usb-storage/demo so don't give up.
Andy Figueroa
Using Unix from 1984; GNU/Linux from 1993

sg-1
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by sg-1 » Fri May 10, 2019 1:34 pm

Thanks figueroa, I have no problems with virtualbox snapshot and iso MX work well. I always try your method if I can do it. Does the downloaded distro contain generic video card drivers?

figueroa
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by figueroa » Fri May 10, 2019 7:43 pm

sg-1 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 1:34 pm
Thanks figueroa, I have no problems with virtualbox snapshot and iso MX work well. I always try your method if I can do it. Does the downloaded distro contain generic video card drivers?
As a user, I'm not one of the MX/antiX developers, I can comment that downloaded and unmodified MX iso files will work out-of-the-box with most video cards using open source drivers. With regard to VirtualBox, the hardware video driver is not used, but the vboxvideo driver.

$ lspci -v
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: InnoTek Systemberatung GmbH VirtualBox Graphics Adapter (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
	Flags: fast devsel, IRQ 18
	Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=16M]
	[virtual] Expansion ROM at 000c0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
	Kernel driver in use: vboxvideo
	Kernel modules: vboxvideo
Andy Figueroa
Using Unix from 1984; GNU/Linux from 1993

fehlix
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by fehlix » Fri May 10, 2019 9:17 pm

figueroa wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 12:58 pm
I haven't been able to boot from a live usb ...
With those commands to mount plugged in USB-stick on /dev/sdg

#!/bin/bash
# name : create_USB_SDG_vmdk.sh
DEV=sdg
USBVMDK=ZZ_Vbox_Mount_USB_dev_${DEV}.vmdk
test -f $USBVMDK && rm -f $USBVMDK
sudo VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename  "$PWD/$USBVMDK" -rawdisk /dev/$DEV
test -f $USBVMDK && sudo chgrp vboxusers $USBVMDK && sudo chmod g+rw $USBVMDK
placed within a script run and located with ~/VboxVM's/HARDISKS
I can create VMDK's which can be attached to Vbox_VM as HDD,
so you can boot from the USB-VMDK's. Note the USB-VMDK is seen as hdd when booted.
Which means you would need to from=hd or from=all boot option to boot MX Linux /antiX.
:puppy:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Return to “Chat”