News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

What opinion do you have on the Cloud?

sg-1
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

What opinion do you have on the Cloud?

Post by sg-1 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:06 am

It is not a question but only personal opinion.

The Cloud?
it is nothing more than a personal storage space, sometimes also called cloud storage , which appears to be accessible at any time and in any place simply by using any Internet connection.

But can we trust him ??? To you the arduous sentence.

Our data is stored on servers managed by people or companies, although known, located anywhere in the world. The Internet is powerful but vulnerable, a missed connection for several hours or days to its data can mean loss of work with heavy economic consequences that no one compensates, both cloud free and paid. The companies that use the cloud should, for safety, encrypt files even more times with different passwords, not only, but keep a copy in your own home.

Today and in the future, HDs will be increasingly large and at lower costs, which is why reason that I consider the cloud almost useless, and I insist on security included.

Thank you.

manyroads
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: What opinion do you have on the Cloud?

Post by manyroads » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:15 am

sg-1 wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:06 am

The Cloud?
it is nothing more than a personal storage space, sometimes also called cloud storage , which appears to be accessible at any time and in any place simply by using any Internet connection.

But can we trust him ??? To you the arduous sentence.

Our data is stored on servers managed by people or companies, although known, located anywhere in the world. The Internet is powerful but vulnerable, a missed connection for several hours or days to its data can mean loss of work with heavy economic consequences that no one compensates, both cloud free and paid. The companies that use the cloud should, for safety, encrypt files even more times with different passwords, not only, but keep a copy in your own home.

Today and in the future, HDs will be increasingly large and at lower costs, which is why reason that I consider the cloud almost useless, and I insist on security included.

Thank you.
Well clearly you are in an incredibly small minority. The cloud is the future (according to every tech company). It is also much more than storage. Cloud is used as an adjective describing at least two modes of computing:
-- Cloud Storage
-- Cloud Computing

Here are definitions of both (from the center of all human knowledge :p Wikipedia).

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Cloud_storage
https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Cloud_computing
"Don't believe everything you think."
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com - Reg. Linux User #449130
MX-18.3 kernel: 5.1.11-antix.1-amd64-smp
Dell Latitude E5470
Intel i5-6300U~ 24GB RAM ~ SSD: 1TB
Coding since 1974

JayM
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by JayM » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:30 am

I've never used cloud (I hate that term. It's like "black box", something that's secret, some mystery thing that my data goes into and may or may not be retrieved from) services. I don't like the idea of someone else who's more interested in making money than safeguarding my data having possession of my personal, potentially sensitive data files. With all of the security breaches and data leaks going on I don't trust anyone but myself with my stuff. That's what multiple backup drives and a disaster recovery strategy are for. Also, until fairly recently I only had a 3Mbps ADSL Internet connection which was very unreliable. I'm sure there are many others in the world with similar connectivity. Not everyone has fast broadband available or affordable.

Instead of telling me that my data is going into something called simply "the cloud" and I can download it from "the cloud" again, how about telling me in more technical terms what kind of data storage and retrieval service is actually being offered and how it actually works? Not to mention what guarantee do I have that my stuff will still be available tomorrow, next week, next year? What if my "cloud" company goes bankrupt or simply decides to close down and stop doing business? Not only can I no longer get to my data but I have no assurance that it's not still on hard disks somewhere for someone to get hold of.

"Cloud"? No thank you.
Please read How To Ask For Help and How to Break Your System.
MX User Manual: hold down ALT and press F1. Further information may be found in the MX Wiki.

sg-1
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by sg-1 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:48 am

JayM, I share your post, and I add
I am in the minority is true, but this does not mean that the majority is right. Security beyond reason, sensitive data (industrial projects, lawyers, architects etc .. in the hands of others with the possibility of server hacking and Internet blocked? A little thought I would do it.

chrispop99
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by chrispop99 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:53 am

It doesn't matter how cheap HDD or other media becomes, a burglary or fire at your house, a freak weather event, or a major electrical problem may still mean you lose everything.

My most important data is stored on a separate drive on my main machine, and my Dropbox folder is on that disk.

I can't imagine many folk have anything that is so private that they wouldn't put it on a reputable cloud service; if they didn't, perhaps they shouldn't have it in the first place?

Chris
Test machines:
32-bit non-PAE - Thinkpad T41, 1.6GHz Pentium M, 1GB RAM.
32-bit PAE - DELL Latitude D610, 1.73GHz Pentium M, 2GB RAM.
64-bit - Lenovo T61, 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM
64-bit - Gigabyte Z77P-D3, Intel i3-3220, GeForce 8400 GS, 4GB PC3-12800.

manyroads
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by manyroads » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:58 am

JayM wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:30 am
I've never used cloud (I hate that term. It's like "black box", something that's secret, some mystery thing that my data goes into and may or may not be retrieved from) services. I don't like the idea of someone else who's more interested in making money than safeguarding my data having possession of my personal, potentially sensitive data files. With all of the security breaches and data leaks going on I don't trust anyone but myself with my stuff. That's what multiple backup drives and a disaster recovery strategy are for. Also, until fairly recently I only had a 3Mbps ADSL Internet connection which was very unreliable. I'm sure there are many others in the world with similar connectivity. Not everyone has fast broadband available or affordable.

Instead of telling me that my data is going into something called simply "the cloud" and I can download it from "the cloud" again, how about telling me in more technical terms what kind of data storage and retrieval service is actually being offered and how it actually works? Not to mention what guarantee do I have that my stuff will still be available tomorrow, next week, next year? What if my "cloud" company goes bankrupt or simply decides to close down and stop doing business? Not only can I no longer get to my data but I have no assurance that it's not still on hard disks somewhere for someone to get hold of.

"Cloud"? No thank you.
I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings but... almost all of your stuff is already 'in the cloud'. No matter the country in which you live, information of yours that is stored and shared (using the cloud) almost certainly includes:
--- everything to do with your banking, taxes, investments, credit (it makes no difference that you don't want to use the cloud, your bankers, government(s), etc. "do", and your data goes with their choice, not yours.) Sorry.
--- communication (voice, video, anything electronic) is in the 'cloud and passed through the cloud.

Here's a bit about the 'public face of the cloud' business:
https://www.newgenapps.com/blog/top-10- ... s-and-uses
https://www.zdnet.com/article/top-cloud ... -stack-up/
https://www.datamation.com/cloud-comput ... -apps.html

You may worry and complain as much as you wish, but this war is long over. (E.g. I began working on cloud apps as long ago as 1980.) The cloud has been here for a long time, it is entrenched and it is growing exponentially. I am sad to say, security & privacy are things of the past. (The majority of people want the benefits of big, shared data at any cost. This includes disease prevention, medical advances, easy access to information, fast communication, inter-related data, etc. And, they are willing to sacrifice almost anything to get it. Sorry. They are leading this charge. Those of us who might object are overwhelmed by those who either don't care, know or are certain these objectives are the best for humanity.)

"Big Brother" is not just watching you (to paraphrase George Orwell); Big Brother 'knows'. You can tell that the war is lost because governments are trying to close the door, after this horse escaped. All their rules and regulations are 'reactive; they are not 'in front of the curve''. As they say here in the US, they are playing 'catch up ball'. Their efforts, such as they are, are too little, too late.
Pax vobiscum,
Dell Latitude E5470
Coding since 1974

Pierre

Post by Pierre » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:59 am

it's not just, the idea that our data is stored on servers managed by people or companies, although known, located anywhere in the world,,
but quite often that data is controlled by an small group of companies, that reside in just the one state.

most folks really have no idea just what an 'cloud' really is, let alone where 'it' may be even located.
- - I'm always pointing out, that it is often just as cost effective - to buy an 2Tb drive & place that next to your machine.
and most probably - - less risky, as well.

richb
Administrator

Post by richb » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:01 am

I use Dropbox and Google Drive. The two are synced so the same data exists on each. The same data is on partition on an SSD in my computer and on a USB drive. So data loss is mitigated short of a fire or theft of my home.
At the risk of being highly criticized or called naive I believe Dropbox and Google Drive are reputable. They have an invested interest in securing your data. If they did not it is a business loss issue for them.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 18.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

manyroads
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by manyroads » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:19 am

I also use DropBox and one of my Cloud based servers for redundancy and backup.

It's all about Risk/ Reward. My cloud sites are cheap, reliable, and much better than the 5 other usb drives I, also, backup to. Plus the data on my HDD has very little 'actual value'.

The backup & storage cloud is not the aspect of the cloud to worry about. The "Cloud' that holds your thoughts, friends, money, aspirations, the essence of your very existence is the one where there is Risk. Focus on what's important... Just sayin' :needcoffee:
Pax vobiscum,
Dell Latitude E5470
Coding since 1974

turtlebay777
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by turtlebay777 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:51 am

I agree with the 'minority' view - doesn't that make us the majority in a democracy? - a cloud is not guaranteed to be always available for many reasons both local and in the servers. Parts of my data may already be in the public domain but I also know that some of it is not.

If through a power cut ( we get those from time to time even in the UK) the internet is not available, at that time my data would not be available to me.

Mod note: Part of post removed, not following the forum rules
Last edited by turtlebay777 on Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Chat”